Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario:

In port (Basse-Terre) at start of turn.

Ship is a Sloop - Cargo rating = 2

Textiles are in demand in this Port

I draw 6 cargo cards, 2 are Textiles. I discard the 2 Textiles and redraw 2 cards, per the rules.

I now have 3 Cocoa, 1 Spice, 1 Tobacco, 1 Banana. This I call the "Cargo Market".

Q: I can purchase a maximum of 2 Cargo and place them into my Cargo hold on my Sloop, with it's Cargo rating of 2, correct?

Q2: If I do purchase 2 cargo, then when I leave port, I must discard all unpurchased cargo cards in my hand?

Q3: Essentially, my cargo rating is how much purchased cargo plus unpurchased cargo cards I can hold when leaving port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's much simpler than you make it out to be. Your cargo rating is the maximum number of cargo cards you may have on your ship.

You don't hold on to any "unpurchased" cargo cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx. I suspected that. The language in the RB was a little funky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Q2: why the rules say you only need to discard excess cargo when leaving port...

Imagine I have a ship - 3 cargo capacity.
Arrive with 2 Food and keep them on the ship as they are not in demand at this port. 3rd action, Port... buy goods,
No banana ... so I buy 2 sugar cargo cards.
I will not leave port as that was my last action.

In this case I am keeping both goods as I don't know what the other players will do, so I'm leaving my options open.

One possibility: Someone may sell banana in demand at a port and rid it of the demand token.

Second: I could use my first action on next turn to Port again (but this time only being able to pick 3 cards instead of 6)... but still, if you are playing with expansion (favours)... you could pick those 3 cards again and most likely will find a Banana or Sugar within 6 cards.

This takes advantage of the rules where you may hold on to many cargo cards while at port... just decide what to discard when leaving.

Rules pg 8:
If you "buy goods" in the same port two turns in a row,
you only draw 3 Cargo Cards.
While in port there is no limit to how many Cargo
Cards you may posses. However, once you leave port
you must discard any cards in excess of your ship's
current "Cargo" value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pzm52v pzm52v
Spain
Madrid - SPAIN
Madrid
flag msg tools
mrmer1in wrote:
Regarding Q2: why the rules say you only need to discard excess cargo when leaving port...

Imagine I have a ship - 3 cargo capacity.
Arrive with 2 Food and keep them on the ship as they are not in demand at this port. 3rd action, Port... buy goods,
No banana ... so I buy 2 sugar cargo cards.
I will not leave port as that was my last action.

In this case I am keeping both goods as I don't know what the other players will do, so I'm leaving my options open.

One possibility: Someone may sell banana in demand at a port and rid it of the demand token.

Second: I could use my first action on next turn to Port again (but this time only being able to pick 3 cards instead of 6)... but still, if you are playing with expansion (favours)... you could pick those 3 cards again and most likely will find a Banana or Sugar within 6 cards.

This takes advantage of the rules where you may hold on to many cargo cards while at port... just decide what to discard when leaving.

Rules pg 8:
If you "buy goods" in the same port two turns in a row,
you only draw 3 Cargo Cards.
While in port there is no limit to how many Cargo
Cards you may posses. However, once you leave port
current "Cargo" value.

Be careful with that, perhaps you have an old version of rulebook.
In page 8 it says:
"While in port, you may posses a maximum of 6 Cargo Cards. However,once you leave port
current "Cargo" value."

So, 6 Cargo Cards is a hard limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, 6 Cargo Cards is a hard limit.

Yes, good point. Thanks for adding that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.