United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT I will not remove my question because I'm not ashamed to be wrong, but my question was based on missing a rule. So you can ignore this thread if you actually read the rules properly. blush

----

Worker rows are always filled from left to right.

If a worker has been purchased from the "current" row already, leaving an empty space, and then you are about to add a new worker to the job market, do you fill that empty space first?

I think "yes" but it has interesting effects on the game length, especially on the rows with lower worker costs, where you might buy a worker you didn't want just to make the game last one more turn.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hiring a worker from the current turn row, and refilling
you can not buy workers from the row with the job market marker, only from the rows above it, so the problem does not exist

from the rulebook page 11:

Quote:
Action: Hire one worker
When you perform this action, choose exactly one worker tile from the job market, pay that worker's hiring cost and place him in the worker section of your player board.
Bear the following rules in mind:
• You are not allowed to hire a worker from the row where the job market token is currently located.
ose workers are unavailable until the job market token has moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hiring a worker from the current turn row, and refilling
Oh.
Ohhh...
We have totally missed that rule.
blushOops.blush

Thank you for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pope
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This probably explains why our first game (4 players) was nearly 5 hours & we ended with two "2" tokens and one "3" token.

Thanks to Ossian & Michele, each, for asking and answering!

I must say, though, none of us noticed it being a necessarily bad thing. So I think we'll keep this around as a variant for a longer game -- game ends either when the job market token leaves the board or the last worker is placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pope
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
EDIT I will not remove my question because I'm not ashamed to be wrong, but my question was based on missing a rule. So you can ignore this thread if you actually read the rules properly. blush

I feel no shame for missing the rule, either. For my group, we're typically learning 2-3 new games a month right now. Plus, we tend to start playing a game at ~75% of the rules read, once we have a solid understanding of the core mechanics and win conditions.

So for us, it's easy to miss a one-liner like this that can have pretty "swingy" effects on the game, with respect to length, difficulty, or points distribution.

Never, though, do we get frustrated. We just chalk it up to "a learning experience" and use it as a reason to "just have to play it again!"

P.S - I'll also add that I didn't come to BGG today in search of the answer to this (because we thought we had it right... and no one else was telling us otherwise)! I just happened to see this when looking at other things on the main page, and I'm happy to be more knowledgeable for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a great thread for easy to miss rules here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.