Subject: Starting position - some thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Tronstad
Sweden
Wolverine City, Solna, Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hi

How do you think when picking starting position?

I haven't played that many times. The two leaders I tend to pick is Nandi or Mal. Nandi for free crew or Mal if I want to focus on crime jobs.

In both cases I want to find a great crew and the most wanted core and ship upgrades.

So where to start given that the "priming the pump" happens after you pick your starting position?

If I am Mal I'm looking towards Shadow. I would be close to Regina (Kaylee), Osiris (upgrades/Inara) and also Meridian (two highly sought after crew members). In the first round I could pick which supply planet to visit first depending on discard piles and other players positions/movements.

If I'm Nandi I might choose Gonghe where I would be close to Space Bazar (Wash), Osiris, Persephone (Simon), Silverhold and even Beaumonde.

What do you think about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention Meridian and Beaumonde, which suggests you're playing with all expansions. At that point IMO it's no longer worth mining the core worlds decks.

Meridian and Beaumonde are still mineable (at 25 cards each) and both have some good stuff in them; not least, two Companions each.

After that it depends on what you're planning to do. If you're going into Reaver space much, you probably want whichever of Pilot and Mechanic your leader doesn't have. Best odds in the fully expanded game are Persephone for Mechanic and Space Bazaar for Pilot (both 5 cards out of 44). If you're going for Transport because of its use in Misbehaves, then Regina's by far the best option (4 out of 41, though two of them are Sky Hooks that need a Pilot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you playing a scenario where you have to set-up off the supply planets then those are good choices (or if yo are 3rd). We always set up at the dual supply/contact planets (the 1st 3 of us that is) the rest try to do what you suggest, place so they can get to things quickly but we these days play brown coat way and no starting jobs so we end up on contact planets to find jobs. I think Badger is the best set-up position, supply, contact and a reasonable jump to space bazaar, Osiris and even to most places except Blue sun.

OF course we play a little variation in that the scenario isn't pulled until "after" set up decisions. so it can get dicey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find it easiest to just start at a Supply Planet (or adjacent, if competition is fierce).

These days, my preference is to start at the Rim Planets, because I find a lot of people don't want to start there, or - if I get to lay down roots first - compete for the resources. The Rim Space Supply decks are designed somewhat differently from the others in that you can put together a really solid and pretty flexible crew if you can run the deck on your own. You will need to supplement with a little something somewhere else, but you can get 85% of what you need at Meridian or Beaumonde.

Persephone is the default "starter" planet, in that it offers the best pairing of Gear/Contact, as well as a great range of Crew and Gear. This makes a lot of sense, given the role the planet plays in the series.

The Space Bazaar, to me, in the second best starting location, or the best if you're looking for a Pilot, since it offers almost as broad a range of Supplies as Persephone.

The Space Bazaar, Persephone, and Fight-rich Silverhold constitute the original "golden triangle." Depending on your leader and your objectives, you can likely get two-thirds of what you need at one of these locations, with a quick visit to one of the others for the rest.

I know others will disagree - everyone has their favorites! - but I view Osiris and Regina as the outliers. Don't get me wrong, they both have some great stuff (in fact, some of the best cards in the game), but I find them to be very all-or-nothing, where if you're not getting the good cards, you're probably getting stuff you don't care about. The others all have a better selection of moderately interesting cards, so even if you don't get exactly what you're looking for, you may get a decent find anyway. In most cases, I would rather compete with another player at Persephone or the Space Bazaar than have Osiris or Regina to myself.

If I were prioritizing, all things being equal:

1) Meridian
2) Beaumonde
3) Persephone
4) Space Bazaar
5) Silverhold
6) Regina
7) Osiris

Of course all things aren't equal, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're Corbin, Osiris can be a great place to start.

You can get a Pilot to match your Mechanic ability, you get ship upgrades and drives at half-price.

You can't sit there too long, though, as you can't build a varied crew there. But a nice upgrade/drive and a pilot, and you're good to go elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Tronstad
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. Interesting things to consider...

I've been thinking that I could use my first action on my first turn to fly to the suppy planet with the most interesting card from the "priming the pumps", therefore start from somewhere "in the middle". In the second action on the first turn I'll do the shopping.

This ofcourse depend a little on if I'm 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

I need to think about this a little. I have been thinking that Regina and Osiris was the most interesting places! :-D
I have been lucky at times at Meridian so that's a place I am looking to now also.

What is "the brown coat way"? Special set of rules? Anyone have a link to a thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Tronstad
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ahhh, a small bell tickled my mind. Yes, there is a set-up card called "The Browncoat Way". I do have Jetwash, the last expansion I got, but we haven't used it yet. I'm currently studying it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Different strokes for different folks, right? I personally like to camp out somewhere, put together a decent crew, then take flight, but that's definitely not the only viable option.

As for your preference for Regina and Osiris - don't me change your mind! All the supply planets have good stuff. It depends on what you're looking for. Osiris, for example, is great when Inara and The Guardian pop up early. Less so when it's the Interrogator and some Med Staff...

One thing to consider is how far each planet is from the others. Shadow, for example, is 4 sectors from Regina... but so is Osiris. Although it places Meridian out of reach, Osiris is, I think, 5 sectors of less away from all the core game planets. Persephone is similarly well situated, only 3 sectors from the Space Bazaar and 5 from Beaumonde. The Space Bazaar may have the best reach, actually, able to hit Silverhold, Persephone, Osiris, or Beaumonde in a single turn.

Any of these are, arguably, better than starting in the middle of nowhere. You have a guaranteed barrel to fish in, and can theoretically reach others. The problem with someplace like Shadow is that, yes, you have flexibility, but if you hit an obstacle early on, there's a good chance of failure on skill tests, and then you wind up spending your first turn languishing at the corner of No and Where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Tronstad
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes, I see and agree... Space Bazaar is good, especially if you play a Mechanic. And you'll reach both Persephone and Osiris if something fantastic turns up there.

To my eyes Meridian is five sectors away from Shadow... Possible to reach. But still need to get a clean flight ofcourse. Always nice to start at Shadow if you play Mal though... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to dismiss Shadow as withing striking distance of Meridian. I believe it's 5 Sectors - but a lot of it is through that pesky Rim Space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.