14 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: So... how long really are the first games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
We are supposed to start playing this weekend and I wonder how nay games we are bale to pull off.

I all kinds of comments - "In the the beginning the game plays quickly as there are not too many options" but also "we were so afraid to place a sticker in the wrong place that it took us 3h to finish the first game".

So how did it look like in your case? Also, are the subsequent games much longer?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does everyone know how to play? How many players?

We took 90 minutes with 6 players but that was because I had to explain the rules to the other 5 players and I was learning myself having read the skeletal copy of the rulebook and having watched Rodney Smith's video. YMMV but I would say 15 minutes/player is probably a good gauge and that may increase if you have players who are slower to get the hang of things.

The good news is that the turns go very quickly, so there is negligible down time.

Don't have the experience to answer beyond the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far:
Session 1+2: games 1+2 and 3+4, 4p
Session 3: game 5, 4p, 2 automa
Session 4: games 6+7, 3p

As for the sessions covering two games: each took about 2.5h (only one setup/teardown obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely going to depend on the number of players you have and how people play. My group is doing a 6-player campaign and our first game took about 2 hours. Part of the reason was that the majority of players just wanted to open lots of crates so we unlocked a lot of content in that first game so we had to stop a lot to get stuff out of the index, read new rules, place them in the Chronicle, etc.

Games 2 and 3 were much better now that players knew how everything works and each game lasted about 75 minutes for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Takes about 60 to 90mins per games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Playing 2 players all of our games took less than an hour to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
3 players, no one knew the rules in advance, first session was ~2 hours and 1 game.

Second session was 2.5 hours, 2 games with 3 people (0 automa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the game ends when the progress track ends. Only 3 main actions move the track. If you do those actions a lot, the game will end quickly. If you avoid those actions then the game can take a while. Since there are actions that don't move the marker you can theoretically play the game forever

My group of four has been taking about 2 hrs each through 4 games. First game though was probably less than 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hampus Ram
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think different playstyles will give a very varying playtime. One of the things I do not like with Charterstone is that you can quite soon have some options that lets you gain vp without progressing the game which, with some players, could make the game go on forever (but then you'll have to play along for that to happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
First game took us about 60 minutes with explaining rules and only 2 players.

hampusr wrote:
One of the things I do not like with Charterstone is that you can quite soon have some options that lets you gain vp without progressing the game which, with some players, could make the game go on forever (but then you'll have to play along for that to happen).
This is only possible if all players want that. So you either do it because you like to or you ignore it. Speaking for myself, I would not see any reason to play "slow" on purpose. This is a competetive game. Nobody has any benefits from everyone gaining infinite glory unless you desperately want to have all those chests opened immediately. So in my opinion, there is no reason to dislike that possibility actually, since you can easily avoid it. If you really can't resist the temptation, than use an automa. Those will make sure, that the game is played relatively quick, especially if you want to compete with it and are forced to go fast yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 players, our first 3 games have been all about 90 minutes each. Turns are pretty quick until someone unlocks a crate, then we all pause to find out about the new rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60 to 120 minutes per game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players, the first couple of games were about 30 mins. They stretched to 45-60 mins after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first games today, with 4 players:

Game 1: 2.5 hours, including quite a bit of time to go over the rule book and discuss various issues. We also spent some time consulting the rules for clarifications and also reading out the first few story and rule cards.

Game 2: 1.5 hours, maybe a little less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.