Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Oceanos» Forums » General

Subject: First impression after opening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Against my better judgement, I ended up buying this game for my girlfriend for Christmas, because I thought the artwork just looked amazing and it seemed like a fun game. I was very hesitant due to the issue with poor-fitting submarine parts. But I went for it anyways, and even bought the rare French promo with the pink submarine.

We haven't had time to play it yet, so this is just a first impression. We took all the parts out and inspected everything, and punched out all the pieces. On the positive side, the artwork is indeed gorgeous, from the box itself to every individual piece. They went all-out here with creating a beautiful-looking game. So many tiny details, and every sub and every piece looks different from the others. It's a very nice presentation in terms of art design.

But this is where my praise ends. The pieces do indeed fit poorly in general. Some fit great, but many are very, very tight as you swap the pieces around to fit different upgrades onto each sub. There's no way this will hold up over time if you do force the pieces together. As thick as they are, a couple tips are still already starting to separate at the layers just from testing them out, and I was being very careful. My girlfriend agreed, and suggested we just play by not actually connecting them together, but then it looks stupid and wrecks the visual appeal of building and upgrading the subs.

Another major issue is storage. There is absolutely no insert, and no way to store the pieces. They give you a pile of plastic bags, and that's it. All you can do is throw each sub and it's parts into each separate bag, and throw it all together in the box. I carefully placed each pile of sub parts into the box as best as I can, but most people won't spend 15 minutes doing that each time, and I have a feeling that the parts will start getting damaged sooner rather than later as they are thrown willy-nilly into the box with all the puzzle tabs overhanging each other.

Overall I'm very disappointed. It may be fun to play, so we'll hold final judgement until we give it a proper play test, but the ill-fitting sub pieces were a terrible idea from the beginning. The level of precision needed to get every piece to fit easily into each sub is beyond what they were capable of. The tolerances were too tight. They should have just made the edges wavy or something so they could fit against each other well enough without needing to click them together like a puzzle. And they put no thought into storage at all.

I hate to sound so negative because they put a lot of work into this, but in the end some poor decision went into the design of the pieces. If you don't care about the pieces holding up, and just cram them together, sure, it will work. But you are going to damage the pieces if you play the way they were intended to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will respectfully disagree.

Yes, the subs don't fit well together. That's a shame. Supposedly there was an error in manufacturing that was corrected in a subsequent US print run. I reached out to Iello about this and they sent me new sub components immediately. GREAT! But they too were cut incorrectly in many ways, which was disappointing. So I have two versions of each sub, none of which fit together perfectly.

However, you don't have to worry about putting them in bags and stuffing them in the box. That's not going to damage them. They are heavy cardboard pieces. You are doing far more damage when you put them together and take them apart while playing, trust me on that.

Jigsaw puzzles are made all the time and never have I had a puzzle where the pieces didn't fit together perfectly. So I doubt this is a "level of precision" issue. It's obviously just a manufacturing error and the fact that Iello has been responsive in issuing replacements is great. I just wish the replacements fit better. But I am still going to give them a bit of a pass here. This is not a $60 game. I paid $25 at retail. So I guess it depends on what you paid to determine the value you got out of the game. For me, I can tolerate the production issues at that price point.

However, the game itself is worth the frustration. It's a very interesting, yet accessible game that is easy to teach, beautiful to look at and most importantly, fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I really enjoy the game and although some pieces don't fit perfectly most are not that bad. I also have no problem with packing each sub back in it's own bag before putting everything back in the box which if there had been an insert I would probably have chucked out anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are meant to be played. How about playing the game? We enjoy Oceanos, and hopefully you will too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Supposedly there was an error in manufacturing that was corrected in a subsequent US print run.

Ah, I was wondering about that. As I have played a fiend's copy and all the pieces fit perfectly fine, must have been the newer print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I bagged each sub in its own baggie - and did the same with the 3 decks of cards and tokens. There won’t be much,any at all damage to the pieces this way. I would suggest giving the game a chance. It plays pretty good as a drafting game 2p as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the pieces did fit together, the “male” part of the puzzle is going to get damaged in a hurry when constantly putting the pieces together and taking them apart. I clicked the male pieces off (insert joke here) and therefore I can put the sub together without fiddling with annoying puzzle pieces. As for an insert, there is just too much stuff in that box for an insert anyway. If there were, I probably would have tossed it and just used bags.

My advice is just like the others above. Play the damn game. It’s pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I passed on this game, mainly because of the jigsaw pieces. I can't think of any good reason why the pieces need to lock together. For me therefore, this poor design choice carries a significant proportion of the blame for the reported production defects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
GoingTopShelf wrote:
I will respectfully disagree.

Yes, the subs don't fit well together. That's a shame. Supposedly there was an error in manufacturing that was corrected in a subsequent US print run. I reached out to Iello about this and they sent me new sub components immediately. GREAT! But they too were cut incorrectly in many ways, which was disappointing. So I have two versions of each sub, none of which fit together perfectly.

However, you don't have to worry about putting them in bags and stuffing them in the box. That's not going to damage them. They are heavy cardboard pieces. You are doing far more damage when you put them together and take them apart while playing, trust me on that.

Jigsaw puzzles are made all the time and never have I had a puzzle where the pieces didn't fit together perfectly. So I doubt this is a "level of precision" issue. It's obviously just a manufacturing error and the fact that Iello has been responsive in issuing replacements is great. I just wish the replacements fit better. But I am still going to give them a bit of a pass here. This is not a $60 game. I paid $25 at retail. So I guess it depends on what you paid to determine the value you got out of the game. For me, I can tolerate the production issues at that price point.

However, the game itself is worth the frustration. It's a very interesting, yet accessible game that is easy to teach, beautiful to look at and most importantly, fun.

Thanks for your input. They offered to send me replacement pieces but I'm not expecting them to fit any better. At least I'll have a set I can play and beat up and a set to keep in mint condition.

The thing with real puzzles is - how many times do you do the same puzzle? A few times at most? So any given piece is only fit together and pulled apart a few times (plus some trial and error of course). My girlfriend and I actually do enjoy jigsaw puzzles. With this game, you'e constantly fitting and removing the same handful of pieces over and over each time you play, so those will get a lot more wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

I passed on this game, mainly because of the jigsaw pieces. I can't think of any good reason why the pieces need to lock together. For me therefore, this poor design choice carries a significant proportion of the blame for the reported production defects.

I really do not understand this at all. Whether or not the pieces fit, there is no reason you actually have to put them together. You still see an assembled sub, especially if you clip the puzzle tabs. Why would this prevent you from enjoying a card drafting game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borys Zaba-Zabinski
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I really do not understand this at all. Whether or not the pieces fit, there is no reason you actually have to put them together. You still see an assembled sub, especially if you clip the puzzle tabs. Why would this prevent you from enjoying a card drafting game?

He didn't play this game yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Understood. The game isn't completely off my radar, which is why I checked back here to see if they've sorted out the jigsaw yet. I just know that those pieces will irritate me, especially if I have to break them to make them function, as you have done. So until then, there are many other games competing for my money and attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Received replacement pieces. Pieces still didn't fit any better. And one replacement piece actually wasn't shipped by mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.