Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does (or should) destroying an Interdictor satisfy the requirement for the Rebel Assault objective card ?

Rebel Assault Objective wrote:
Combat: Play after a Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer has been destroyed in a combat that you initiated.

I ask because the Interdictor unit looks extremely similar to a standard Destroyer. Also, the Star Wars wikia page states that the ship matching the Interdictor unit sculpt in the game "was a full sized Imperial Star Destroyer that was outfitted with gravity well projectors".

With respect to game play, an Interdictor matches a Star Destroyer in health (both have four health). However, the Interdictor receives fewer and weaker dice (2 green vs. 1 black and 2 red) in exchange for its special ability. The Interdictor also can carry four units vs. the standard Star Destroyer's six.

It seems the Interdictor in the expansion is indeed a Star Destroyer, but I'm wondering if allowing it to satify the Rebel objective would be unbalancing due it its fewer dice and carrying capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. If FFG wanted to include interdictors on the list, they could have easily included cards in the expansion to replace obsolete cards. I've seen them do it with other games like Elder Sign.

Don't add meaning to the cards without the rulebook or errata to back it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I would say no. If FFG wanted to include interdictors on the list, they could have easily included cards in the expansion to replace obsolete cards. I've seen them do it with other games like Elder Sign.

Don't add meaning to the cards without the rulebook or errata to back it up.

This is correct. Other cards were updated in the expansion to cover these kinds of cases. (Like the Sabotage Rebel card, and the Son of Skywalker action card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely respect and understand your interpretations of the rules as not being amended to address this.

However, thematically I think it makes sense to count an interdictor as a Star Destroyer for the following reasons: 1) it takes the same amount of damage to kill one; 2) they are important ships that will likely be even more protected by the Imperials; and 3) they are actually Star Destroyers.

I will probably play it that way in my games. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijawa74 wrote:
I completely respect and understand your interpretations of the rules as not being amended to address this.

However, thematically I think it makes sense to count an interdictor as a Star Destroyer for the following reasons: 1) it takes the same amount of damage to kill one; 2) they are important ships that will likely be even more protected by the Imperials; and 3) they are actually Star Destroyers.

The fact that you have already dealt the empire a serious blow by destroying a non-replaceable unit can be considered reward enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
jedijawa74 wrote:

The fact that you have already dealt the empire a serious blow by destroying a non-replaceable unit can be considered reward enough.

At what cost Poe? At what cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.