Subject: Quality of new sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was on the fence for the previous version, but at the end didn't get into STAW due to a number of reasons:
- Too many products to buy
- Starter set seemed limited
- Lack of quality / paint
- Scale issues
- Rules issues as raised here, mainly due to imbalance in point buy.

It seems that the new version/release model solves most of the issues, but I'm still wondering about the product quality - especially the miniatures and paint quality.
Any first hand experiences?

Also, I understand the sculpts are basically the same, so the same scale issues exists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, please, no.

Yet another not-to-scale discussion....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
Oh, please, no.

Yet another not-to-scale discussion....

Agreed.

Paint quality is a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
No new sculpts so far. Paint coloring and lines are much better.

Cards are better formatted and some old dud cards have been redone. Not retconned or errata’d, but new, better versions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards in the new starter box are apparently extra slim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
Cards in the new starter box are apparently extra slim.

Can verify.
The Faction Packs and card packs are very nice quality, thick cards. Awesome!
The new Starter Kit, although the quality is fine, are definitely on the slim side.
I put them all in sleeves anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Heck; them being slim might even make them easier to pick up/move.

The new paints are night and day. The old ones used drab colors and were occasionally sloppy (a good excuse to repaint them myself, though!) But the new paints are very crisp with deep, vibrant colors. The gold accents on the Romulan vessels look especially dope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
koraldon wrote:

- Scale issues

so just like the shows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navy3002 wrote:
koraldon wrote:

- Scale issues

so just like the shows?

You know, I've never understood why people piss and moan over the scale of the ships when the base plates make a shuttle and a Warbird the same effective size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
SMDMadCow wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
koraldon wrote:

- Scale issues

so just like the shows?

You know, I've never understood why people piss and moan over the scale of the ships when the base plates make a shuttle and a Warbird the same effective size.

well..the shows haves a lot of times when scale is not the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
SMDMadCow wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
koraldon wrote:

- Scale issues

so just like the shows?

Because it destroys any feeling of a star battle? Strange enough they made shuttles that can hold their own against dedicated warships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkScipio wrote:
SMDMadCow wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
koraldon wrote:

- Scale issues

so just like the shows?

Because it destroys any feeling of a star battle? Strange enough they made shuttles that can hold their own against dedicated warships.

No it doesn't, at least not for me. If they're going to make everything but 2 ships use the same size base plate the least they can do is make the eye candy big enough to show off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Palmer
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the new ship quality.

Was waiting for decent ships to jump into Star trek attack wing.

Having spent $5000 on x wing and maybe $1000 on armada what the heck.

Quality is good not x wing good but nice enough I will enjoy creating a great display with these ships as well as playing with them. DS9 and the Cube with sphere port will look great as well in the glass display case.

At this time many complaints on availability have your FLGS check with distributor should be available.

I really hope they follow through on these repaints I cant wait to buy $5000 worth of great Star trek ships as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.