Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Callahan
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother is a complete non-gamer. Normally I wouldn't really care, but his wife is a gamer, and she's super-fun to hang out with and wants to game more. I've been trying to find a "gateway game" that my brother may enjoy enough to consider playing.

He's super into music, so the theme fits perfectly, but I'm not sure how fun/accessible gameplay would be for a non-gamer. Anyone have any thoughts to add? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I'm not really good at determining what should be considered a gateway game or not...

But I think this would work well for non gamers and gamers alike. It starts as a pretty straight forward worker placement game. Take a pick, and place it on the board, while trying to create the pattern of a Chord you have. The tricky part for new gamers might be the pick abilities when they're placed. But they're all written on the board itself, and becoming second nature soon enough.

The hidden roll (genre) mechanic in the game also helps I think. Each player doesn't know the scoring color (genre) of the other players, so no one really knows which player is winning until the end. I think this is a good thing for non-gamers, as it prevents possible targeting of an individual.

Because each chord matches up to a real guitar chord, I think this would be pretty fun for non-gamers that are into music/guitars in general. They may even be at an advantage because while they know the chord positions, I often find myself double checking my cards

I played this at a convention once with the designer and 2 other players (who I believe were also 'nongamers'). We were all new to the game and picked it up pretty well. The end scores were close for everyone, a single chord determined the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Callahan
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful - thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Britt
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really add a ton as the designer that Brad didn't already touch on. Thanks a ton for that Brad, I agree that a non gamer could absolutely use this as a gateway.

The theme drew a ton of the video game crowd over this past weekend at PAX South, some of whom said they'd never played a tabletop game other than with a deck of cards or when they were kids. I realize that's still a game fan of sorts, but I think if guitars are of any interest, new game players tend to engage fairly well with Re-Chord.

Thanks for your questions and I really appreciate you taking a look at Re-Chord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.