dont normally
msg tools
Page 26 in the Rules Reference says:

Quote:
TECHNOLOGY SPECIALTIES
A technology specialty is a technology symbol found on some planets.
79.14 When researching technology, a player can exhaust a planet
he controls that has a technology specialty to ignore one
prerequisite symbol of the matching type on the technology
card he is researching.
79.15 If the planet card is already exhausted, it cannot be used to
ignore a prerequisite.

This does not make it clear if you get (technology specialty + resources) or just technology specialty. Does anyone know the proper ruling on this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't say you gain the resources, so you don't gain the resources. Gaining resources is not an automatic by-product of exhausting a planet.

You can exhaust a planet to gain resources.
You can exhaust a planet to gain influence.
You can exhaust a planet to cast votes.
You can exhaust a planet to ignore a technology prerequisite.

All of these are different reasons to exhaust a planet. They don't overlap.

edit: If you need a rulebook citation to make this official, page 18 of the Learn to Play guide has this:
Quote:
While researching technology, players may exhaust planets for their technology specialty or for their resources, but not for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one or the other. When you exhaust a planet, you can do so to skip a technology, as in 79.14, or to gain its resources. You can't do both.

This goes along with (though not directly addressed by) 32.3, where it emphasizes you exhaust a planet for either the resources or influence. In the same light, if you exhaust it for the tech specialty, that's all you get, nothing else.

Also to help: 64.2 talks about exhausting it to spend resources. 79.14 says to exhaust it to ignore a prerequisite. To use both, you'd have to exhaust it twice, which you cannot do.

EDIT: For what it's worth, too, this is made explicit in the Learn to Play guide. I don't have the page # (I'm looking at the Deluxe Rulebook which has different page numbers), but it's on the page that starts with "Technology", in the "Technology Specialties" section where it says "While researching technology, players may exhaust planets for their technology specialty or for their resources, but not for both."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game I let players know, you use the planet as a tech, resources or influence each turn. You only get one effect when you exhaust it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.