Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Night Hag Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does the Night Hag (Dungeon 2) Save before doing Damage? i.e. if the Save Fails the Night Hag heals and moves without doing any damage first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:
Does the Night Hag (Dungeon 2) Save before doing Damage? i.e. if the Save Fails the Night Hag heals and moves without doing any damage first?

We play that she does her damage first, then potentially heals and moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
My thoughts are that this occurs before dealing damage since the wording on the card is "When Night Hag attacks, it must Save..." which to me means that the save occurs before damage is dealt. So, in effect, either the Night Hag does damage and stays put (successful save) or heals and moves to the next player (failed save).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:
My thoughts are that this occurs before dealing damage since the wording on the card is "When Night Hag attacks, it must Save..." which to me means that the save occurs before damage is dealt. So, in effect, either the Night Hag does damage and stays put (successful save) or heals and moves to the next player (failed save).

I disagree. I think it does the damage and then potentially leaves. Other thing to take into consideration is how the Green Hag (Wilderness 1) is described:

Quote:
Escape: During the take damage phase, instead of attacking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
On the other hand, compare it to the wording on the Formorian where it states "When Formorian damages a character, Formorian must save". Unless its just flavour, why word the one when "attacks" and the other when "damages" if they effectively mean the same thing? Is there a scenario where a monster could attack but not do its normal damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:
On the other hand, compare it to the wording on the Formorian where it states "When Formorian damages a character, Formorian must save". Unless its just flavour, why word the one when "attacks" and the other when "damages" if they effectively mean the same thing? Is there a scenario where a monster could attack but not do its normal damage?

I think you have a good point. The wording is not clear. This game has a lot of details like this.

But but I do imagine scenarios where an encounter can attack and deal no damage: 1) Effects that lower encounter's strenght; 2) Efects that lower the damage an enconter deals: 3) Effects that negate damage but nmot the attack (like Nimbleness).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:

Yes, there is a distinct difference between whether something does you damage, and whether it attacks you (or anyone) at all, as seen across several different Features/Magic Items/Market cards.

For instance, you could have an armor that prevents a certain amount of damage, or makes it so that attack strength bonuses don't affect you. Neither of those keeps the encounter from attacking you (or anyone else it's supposed to attack, like with the encounters that attack both the person they're facing and another player of a specific class type), it mitigates the damage you're taking.

This is as opposed to a Market card like Confusion, which stipulates that a Humanoid or Giant encounter that fails its save must skip its next attack. Any other Features or Magic Items or Market cards that trigger off of an encounter attacking would not work in that case, because there's no attack taking place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:
On the other hand, compare it to the wording on the Formorian where it states "When Formorian damages a character, Formorian must save". Unless its just flavour, why word the one when "attacks" and the other when "damages" if they effectively mean the same thing?

Is there a scenario where a monster could attack but not do its normal damage?

Tower Shield against a damage 1 encounter.

The Encounter attacks, but does not deal any damage.

Same net effect as casting Confusion on the encounter (no damage is dealt to the player) but for two different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.