Conquest of Paradise» Forums » Variants

Subject: Combat victory points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when my game group play this, the game tends to be almost split into two different phases. At the beginning everyone is focusing on exploring and building up infrastructure etc etc. not until late in the game do we first see combat, often just the two last turns. Sometimes there can be some small battles midgame but not to common.

So I was thinking if there would be some way to make vp out of combat. I like how the game Eclipse have you get VPs from combat, and also makes it lucrative to fight early on so you might be able to get one of the higher value VPs.

This would probobly mean that the VP victory svore need to raised.
Otherwise game might be to short?

Any thoughts?

For those who doesent know the Eclipse system in short it works like this:
You get to draw a number of tokens from a bag depending how well you preformed in the combat, between 1-4?. Then you choose one to save. You can only have a certain ammount of combat vp tokens. The vp’s on the tokens vart from 1-4. If you have the full ammount of tokens you can still swap if you get a better one.

One problem I can see with this is that combat in Eclipse is more diverse, where some forces have better odds just becouse they are well equiped. In CoP its only the size of the army that matters, except for some AaC cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a bad idea.

Kevin has said in the past people can up the VP requirement to win if you want a longer game.

I mentioned in my review that the fighting that happened in the era was limited to skirmishes rather than building up large invasion fleets.

I like the limitations on the fighting in CoP (and conversely like that it can and frequently does happen in Eclipse). But I'd be willing to try this idea. Maybe instead of VP chits, the loser of the battle picks two Arts and Culture cards and keeps one and gives the other to the winner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
the loser of the battle picks two Arts and Culture cards and keeps one and gives the other to the winner?

This might make people want to attack less, not more. Maybe Winner picks first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
the loser of the battle picks two Arts and Culture cards and keeps one and gives the other to the winner?

This might make people want to attack less, not more. Maybe Winner picks first?

My thinking is that the winner is already getting a huge advantage. For instance if you're attacking an island, and the winner has brought along some colonists, he's already adding two VP (one for the island group in the chain, and yes, I'm assuming the canoe chain), and one for the village.

The vast majority of A&C cards are 1vp. So it's not a huge advantage to be able to pick first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
That's not a bad idea.

Kevin has said in the past people can up the VP requirement to win if you want a longer game.

I mentioned in my review that the fighting that happened in the era was limited to skirmishes rather than building up large invasion fleets.

I like the limitations on the fighting in CoP (and conversely like that it can and frequently does happen in Eclipse). But I'd be willing to try this idea. Maybe instead of VP chits, the loser of the battle picks two Arts and Culture cards and keeps one and gives the other to the winner?
This seems also like a smart idea. I would like to test both. If going with the Exlipse style. What values ahould the tokens have? 1-3? Abs one can hve a maximum of 3 or 4 tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
If going with the Exlipse style. What values ahould the tokens have? 1-3? Abs one can hve a maximum of 3 or 4 tokens?

In Eclipse, it is 1-4, the more expensive ones are more rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to use the A&C cards as a guide and say the range should be 1-3 for the chits, with many 1s a few 2s and maybe a pair of 3s.

As for how many to pull - one for the fight, and then one for the winner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I'm going to use the A&C cards as a guide and say the range should be 1-3 for the chits, with many 1s a few 2s and maybe a pair of 3s.

As for how many to pull - one for the fight, and then one for the winner?
seems right
50%1 30%2 20%3?

How many m should be max ammount? 3-4? Also should the VP victory be raised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a reasonable mix. How many chits can each player keep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
If there is no limit to the number of tokens there will probobly be alot of small battles all game. But It also might take the focus from the redt of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
If there is no limit to the number of tokens there will probobly be alot of small battles all game. But It also might take the focus from the redt of the game.

In Eclipse you have a limit to how many battle VP chips you can keep - depending on race and/or ambassadors. That's what I'm asking about here for CoP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Tolchock wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

In Eclipse you have a limit to how many battle VP chips you can keep - depending on race and/or ambassadors. That's what I'm asking about here for CoP.
Yes, I would think 3 or 4, with the same possability to swap the ones you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been able to experiment with this ”leroy43”?
I havent had the game on the table since christmas, hope I will get to play soon again. I hope to try it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.