Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince "How it's Played Board Games" Putorek
United States
Bristol
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about regeneration. If the fail effect of a dilemma that I try by myself (no doctors helping)is to regenerate, if I fail, does everyone regenerate or just the doctor attempting the dilemma?

Thanks,
Vince
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
As far as I understand all doctor regenerate, if only you would regenerate and the next doctor is from another player then you could not regenerate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought regenerate always made every doctor regenerate. The rules under Regenerate say that "each doctor" takes the next card and the following example shows all doctors regenerating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Goodman
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my interpretation, which is fun and a little crazy, is that if you regenerate then you become the next doctor in order (first becomes fourth, fourth becomes eleventh, eleventh becomes twelfth, twelfth becomes first).

This can cause a chain reaction. If the first doctor regenerates, and no one is playing the fourth doctor, than he simply regenerates as the fourth doctor. However, if someone is playing the fourth doctor, they would be forced to regenerate as well. In a four player game everyone would regenerate. In a two or three player game, some will some won't.

I think this will be even more interesting once some additional doctors are introduced.

That's how we played it at least, and it was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregus48 wrote:
my interpretation, which is fun and a little crazy, is that if you regenerate then you become the next doctor in order (first becomes fourth, fourth becomes eleventh, eleventh becomes twelfth, twelfth becomes first).

This can cause a chain reaction. If the first doctor regenerates, and no one is playing the fourth doctor, than he simply regenerates as the fourth doctor. However, if someone is playing the fourth doctor, they would be forced to regenerate as well. In a four player game everyone would regenerate. In a two or three player game, some will some won't.

I think this will be even more interesting once some additional doctors are introduced.

That's how I've played it, and think I will still home rule that variant: each player's Doctor regenerating only if it's required by another player's Doctor regenerating into it.

However, the rules state:
"When the Doctors regenerate, each player takes the next highest numbered Doctor card available, passing on their old Doctor card to another player if necessary. If you are already at the highest-numbered Doctor available, you regenerate as the First Doctor. Remove your old Doctor marker from your coloured base and replace it with the Doctor marker for your new regeneration, placing it where your previous Doctor marker was."

I also would rather the bases don't come loose due to removing them frequently. Instead I'd just have each player swap out their old Doctor and TARDIS markers with the new ones, according to their matching base colors. This will be come more of an issue when expansions are added, I'm sure, but I'll treat the components more gently until necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:
I also would rather the bases don't come loose due to removing them frequently. Instead I'd just have each player swap out their old Doctor and TARDIS markers with the new ones, according to their matching base colors. This will be come more of an issue when expansions are added, I'm sure, but I'll treat the components more gently until necessary.

Swap Tardis Markers!?!?

I always forget to swap anything, so long as I know my color and location it doesn't matter much, and I can remember who I started as
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
elucidarian wrote:

Swap Tardis Markers!?!?

I always forget to swap anything, so long as I know my color and location it doesn't matter much, and I can remember who I started as

Sure, your color has changed with your Doctor, but you'd be in the same location and your TARDIS would be in the same place on the Time track. I suppose it comes down to whatever feels most convenient with each group of players. Changing the bases seems like more of a hassle to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:
Sure, your color has changed with your Doctor, but you'd be in the same location and your TARDIS would be in the same place on the Time track. I suppose it comes down to whatever feels most convenient with each group of players. Changing the bases seems like more of a hassle to me.

Oh, I see, instead of swapping miniatures, you swap mini's and colors completely. I would find that incredibly confusing for all players myself. Playing an entire game as Blue, and now having to remind myself I'm green would be a hassle. Also, being a bit colorblind doesn't help much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play with colored bases on the Tardii. The bases for the Doctors were incredibly cheap and all 4 broke trying to put them on the first time. Not to mention, the design of the bases caused me to bend one of my Doctor minis. I am so not pleased with the bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The bases should've just been the ring and prongs with no bottom - slip it down over the mini and then the prongs rest on top of the base to hold the ring on. (Only problem would be that it would constrain the sculpting - the Matt Smith mini as-is wouldn't have worked since the ring wouldn't fit down over it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the prongs were necessary. They just increase the risk of stretching out the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ford Fjord
msg tools
I've been reading several of these threads, paying close attention to what people are actually doing to help make "Regeneration" move more smoothly in the game. I agree with the concept that removing/installing the colored rings repeatedly will eventually ruin them, or even the figures themselves.

How about this for a potential solution: add a further, colored component or marker to your TARDIS console, to indicate what color you, as the player, are playing in the game. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it can be confusing if you "Regenerate" multiple times, and you've decided not to remove the colored rings repeatedly - "Wait, what color am I now?" With this mechanic, all you would need to do is pass your "Doctor" card and your colored token, swap your figures' places as normal and you're done. If you need to be reminded what color you are, there is your token on your console to remind you.

I'll try this on my next outing. Would have been handy today (stupid Shada location!!!)

Of course, this all falls apart if there are not going to be unique colors for all the unique Doctors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fordfjord wrote:
How about this for a potential solution: add a further, colored component or marker to your TARDIS console

I thought about this, too. If the Doctor cards are sleeved, you could have colors marked somewhere unobtrusive on the face.
fordfjord wrote:
Of course, this all falls apart if there are not going to be unique colors for all the unique Doctors...

The upside is only changing bases once per game, rather than multiple times per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:
If the Doctor cards are sleeved

Of course. Color backed sleeves. Sleeve the Doctor card matching the color of your Tardis and ignore the crappy rings.

They're easy enough to come by (at least for me) at my FLGS. They sleeve MtG singles they sell. The MtG players rarely keep these sleeves. I've picked up several single sleeves in many colors this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this just gave me an idea. What about not putting the color piece on the Doctor's at all? Every player has the doctor card in front of them, so the will know who they are. They can keep the same colored TARDIS throughout and and also keep the empty color Dr disc in front of them as a reminder.

That way during a regeneration, you simply swap doctor cards and doctor positions and that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming if you buy one expansion (2 new doctors in it) and you play 5 player you would still rotate the 6 minis meaning a new one will enter the game and another will leave the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dion
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I don't change the Doctors disc. It's easier to take the doctor card and figure, then exchange the colored marker under your Tardis to match that figure's. Everyone will do it so it's only a matter of changing the Tardis bases. The Doctor card tells who you're playing so it's pretty easy to remember who you are and what color you are by his figure's disk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:

"When the Doctors regenerate, each player takes the next highest numbered Doctor card available, passing on their old Doctor card to another player if necessary. If you are already at the highest-numbered Doctor available, you regenerate as the First Doctor. Remove your old Doctor marker from your coloured base and replace it with the Doctor marker for your new regeneration, placing it where your previous Doctor marker was."

I feel like once there are 12 Doctors and max six players, if a Doctor fails and regenerates it shouldn't affect everyone else. They just change and move forward. Now the Time of the Doctor card says "the doctors regenerate" rather than just Regenerate like cards like Karn. I guess maybe I'm interpreting it how I want it to be thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Y
United States
California
flag msg tools
elucidarian wrote:
Gregus48 wrote:

That's how I've played it, and think I will still home rule that variant: each player's Doctor regenerating only if it's required by another player's Doctor regenerating into it.

I'm going to ask this same question in the other Regeneration thread, but when I played this with another player (we were 1 and 4), we just swapped Doctors.

I was playing this last night with seven people (3 pairs and 1 solo), and the order of the turns kind of threw us off at first. Let's say this is the current scenario:

Player 1: 1st Doctor
Player 2: 4th
Player 3: 11th
Player 4: 12th

It's Player 3's turn, and they triggered a regeneration, so now it's:

Player 1: 4
Player 2: 11
Player 3: 12
Player 4: 1

Would Player 3 take another turn since they are now the 12th Doctor, finish it, trigger the Dalek turn, and then it's Player 4's turn?

OR

Would Player 4 take their turn as the newly-regenerated 1st Doctor, finish it, and then do the Dalek turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AValidStrategy wrote:
Player 1: 1st Doctor
Player 2: 4th
Player 3: 11th
Player 4: 12th

It's Player 3's turn, and they triggered a regeneration, so now it's:

Player 1: 4
Player 2: 11
Player 3: 12
Player 4: 1

Would Player 3 take another turn since they are now the 12th Doctor, finish it, trigger the Dalek turn, and then it's Player 4's turn?

OR

Would Player 4 take their turn as the newly-regenerated 1st Doctor, finish it, and then do the Dalek turn?

The rules state:
Quote:
Starting with the earliest regeneration of the Doctor and moving clockwise, each player takes their turn. After each player has their turn the Daleks then have a turn. This process repeats until either: one or more players wins the game, or the Daleks win the game.

Other than determining first player each round, you play in clockwise order, not Doctor order. So, in your scenario, player 4 would go next, as the First Doctor, followed by the Daleks. Then, Player 4 would become Player 1 in the next round, barring further regenerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.