Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

I am now on the 13:00 turn of the first day of the campaign, and everything is starting to flow rather well.

I have one question that I cannot for the life of me figure out: The US player gets the air support chit on the 11:00 turn. However, it seems like it cannot be used, because there is no division with an HQ on map that can pay the direct command to purchase any of the available airstrikes. The rules for airpower say that any division with an HQ on the map may pay for the strikes.

On the 13:00 turn, there are formation HQs in the transit zones. Do these count as on map HQs for purchasing air strikes, or does it have to be divisional HQs? Further, do they have to be on Saipan, or is it enough to have them in a sea zone?

The rules seem clear enough, but it is the fact that the scenario explicitly makes the air chit available at 11:00 when it will not be useful for several more turns that has me confused...

I would be very grateful for a clarification.

Other than this, everything is flowing smoothly. I have learned so far that Japaneese artillery is crewed by ninja snipers with laser eyes, that always roll 0-2, whereas US naval support cannot hit a barn from the inside. I may need to recalibrate my dice...

Regards,

Filip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Filip - my fault here. I wrote the rule to prevent using the army division's Direct Commands but didn't realize the HQs weren't there yet for the Marines. So you can pay DCs from any HQ that has units on the map (you don't need an HQ).

Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Adam,

That makes sense. One more question that cropped up: if units are stacked when they become active, can one of them perform a rally action, and the rest THEN activate to move/fire using the modifiers from the reduced DG marker? I’m guessing they can, since the only ”memory” function expressed in the rules is the limit of only one rally action per hex per chit.

Thank you for the support!

/Filip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
Remember that Rally is performed for the _hex_, so that the entire stack benefits even though only one unit rolls. (the flip side of that is that a hex can have only one rally attempt per activation) I don't think that a Leader who assists a Rally roll is prevented from making further (or prior for that matter) actions in the activation, aven though the rolling unit does spend an Action for the roll.

All in favor, say, "WHAT??" arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nolan,

Thanks for chiming in. However, I think you have got the rally rule backward, since there is no roll to rally. The rule simply states that you declare the action and reduce the DG state or remove pinned/supressed. The question is really just if a unit can wait to move out of the hex until after the rally in order to inherit a lesser DG state. Thinking further about it, it appears reasonable that it could.

One more thing came up ob the 15:00 turn: I played it that SW reinforxements were eligible to be assigned as long as they could trace supply back to an HQ, even if that HQ is still in a sea zone. Otherwise the 15:00 reinforxements don’t seem to work. Is that according to intent?

Regards,

Filip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Filip...here you go:

Quote:
can one of them perform a rally action, and the rest THEN activate to move/fire using the modifiers from the reduced DG marker?

Sure

Quote:
One more thing came up ob the 15:00 turn: I played it that SW reinforxements were eligible to be assigned as long as they could trace supply back to an HQ, even if that HQ is still in a sea zone. Otherwise the 15:00 reinforxements don’t seem to work. Is that according to intent?

Nope - you can't trace to a sea zone and have to wait until the HQs are on land. I know those SWs might wait for a bit but that's what happened. There was some time between arrival and actual use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Adam,

So when the reinforcement entry for 15:00 says to allocate the SWs to any unit in the RCT, does this mean only those units that are arriving in that particular reinforcement package, and the remaining SWs go to the holding box on the division display?

Thank you for taking the time to clear this up!

/Filip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Filip,

SW allocated to any units of the RCT means those on land. They are simply added to the units. No LOC is needed. Tank SW will still roll for arrival.

The remaining SW (including any excess SW that couldn't be placed, or those the player chose not to place, on RCT units)go in the Reallocated Box on the Divisional Display. Tank SW will still roll for arrival.

I hope that helps.

Ross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Ross,

Yes, that helps. It might just be me, but I find it helpful if exceptions from the normal procedure are spelled out in the rules. Just a note indicating that in this instance, no LOC is needed.

Overall, I think Saipan is an excellent game so far. Some rules mistakes are to be expected on the first playthrough, but I must say that none of them so far have been game breaking. A lot of action for both sides, and some tough decisions to be made. The initial landings have been extremely bloody for the americans, what with their vulnerability to elimination for failure to rout. I'll press on and see if they can turn the situation around now that they have established a proper beachhead on Yellow and Blue beaches (Red and Green are still a slaughterhouse).

Regards,

Filip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I am glad that you are enjoying the game Filip.

Hopefully those tanks can help stabilise the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
filipolow wrote:
Hi Nolan,

Thanks for chiming in. However, I think you have got the rally rule backward, since there is no roll to rally.
Regards,

Filip

Oops.blush

You're right. I was thinking of other systems (DG's Wellingtons Victory, etc) where rally requires a successful morals check. My apologies. The basic idea is that the rally affects everyone in the hex at the time of the rally action, so that units that have yet to activate can reduce their DG status before activating themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.