Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a bit of both, but more the former than the latter.

I opened my copy of The Quest for El Dorado today -- and played it; great game!! But I was pretty dismayed by three things:

1). One of the meeples had a leg broken off.

2). The cardboard insert was in terrible shape. The short legs are tearing and appear ready to fall off, and several of the sides are crushed. In general, it just looks like cr*p.

3). The box lid is in perfect shape, but the inner box (the one that holds everything) has a corner split halfway down.

I have several dozen games in my collection after about one year in gaming, but sadly almost all of them belong to my "shelf of shame". IOW, they are still in shrinkwrap, unopened. So I don't have a lot to compare to. But none of the others that I have opened (4, including another from Ravensburger) had even the slightest issue with them).

I will write Ravensburger and ask if they can't send me a meeple to replace the broken one, but I guess I'll just have to accept the other two problems and somehow keep enjoying the game.

Am I expecting too much / being too picky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - mine had the exact same box corner split...
Meeples were fine though, and I didn't really look at the insert.

It is disappointing to open something brand new and have it not be perfect. I have no doubt that you'll be able to get that meeple replaced, but might have to settle with that other stuff, but that's not a huge to me personally.

A great game, though, so don't let that get in the way of your enjoyment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's not a counterfeit copy or re-sold (used) copy you got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help with the split corner: The Surgery: Board Game Repair Tips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha; I'd been waiting for a reply to my post ... but today realized I'd forgotten to subscribe to this game's forum threads. shake

Jon, it is interesting your box had the exact same split. Not sure why that makes me feel a little better. laugh

Definitely not a used copy, and probably not counterfeit. More likely poor quality or quality control, or just one of those things that sometimes happen when you manufacture games.

Jim, that looks like a great geeklist. I was already subscribed to it, but have never taken the time to examine it. The split corner repair looks to be within even my limited DIY skills, so I will definitely have a go at that before too long.

Thanks for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update:

I've yet to repair the split in the box shake but hopefully soon.

I wrote to Ravensburger asking for a replacement meeple, and received a very courteous reply about 2 days later. And today, one week after my initial email, a new, healthy red meeple appeared in my mailbox (well, in an envelope in my mailbox ).

Kudos, Ravensburger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been my experience that any time a game contains a deck of cards, and an insert that's not the strongest material to begin with, the insert usually doesn't survive any kind of shipping, because of the card deck bouncing around in the insert. My insert was the same way, but luckily, wooden pieces and the outer box were in fine shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamboyil wrote:
It's been my experience that any time a game contains a deck of cards, and an insert that's not the strongest material to begin with, the insert usually doesn't survive any kind of shipping, because of the card deck bouncing around in the insert. My insert was the same way, but luckily, wooden pieces and the outer box were in fine shape.

Thanks, that helps me set proper expectations for what to reasonably expect as "normal".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ningen Robot
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
I also recently purchased this from Amazon and not from a third party. My box was fine but my white adventurer meeple also suffered a leg injury. My white meeple has one leg that is dangling off.

Is there a special way to contact Ravensburger? I went to their website and filled out their game piece replacement form and sent them a picture of my poor meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ningen_robot wrote:
Is there a special way to contact Ravensburger? I went to their website and filled out their game piece replacement form and sent them a picture of my poor meeple.

That's how I did it. They replied in 2 or 3 days, asked for my shipping info, and as I posted, I received my replacement meeple just a few days later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ningen Robot
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
ningen_robot wrote:

That's how I did it. They replied in 2 or 3 days, asked for my shipping info, and as I posted, I received my replacement meeple just a few days later.

Thanks! I will eagerly wait for a healthy meeple to come in the mail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.