Subject: Do Agenda Cards Stack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing a solo game, so I need 11 points of influence. I'm siding with the Railroad, and I have the "Freedom" card which states that I get 1 additional influence for each space the railroad (star) is ahead of the institute (shield) on the scenario tracker. Currently the railroad is 3 slots ahead of the institute (5 to 2), which gives me the 1 influence point plus 3 more. Then I drew "Freedom" again. Do I now have 8 points? Or just 5? Or... do I have to discard the Freedom and redraw? The rulebook(s) make no reference to duplicate agenda cards. Though frankly, to gain 11 points of rep with a limit of 4 agenda cards, I find it kinda hard to believe that they DON'T stack - how the heck else would you gain 11 points of influence with only 4 agenda cards...?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agenda cards do indeed stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. Shortly after making this post, I drew my third "Freedom" card...

...I still lost the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe they do stack, as the game implies this (although doesn't outright state it).

I think there are to many of the same cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Senno wrote:
I believe they do stack, as the game implies this (although doesn't outright state it).

I think there are to many of the same cards.

I agree, but on the same token, those faction-aligned loyalty cards are potentially very strong, especially if player(s) can push one faction ahead of the other very quickly. So while I think the cards could use some more variety, they could also use some better balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Reeves
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, they do stack. In my solo play through, it is easier for the factions to win then it is for the player to win. So I agree, balancing is required.

An alternative suggestion to obtaining victory points (influence) is to gain an influence point for each quest completed with a Thumbs-Up sign in addition to drawing a new agenda card.

What is the probability for Victory for One Player in the Commonwealth scenario? Start with the options for victory on the 1+ Agenda cards (Security x4 and Freedom x4, Know it All, One of a Kind and Managing It. It is clear advancing one faction ahead of the other is the only true path to win.

Seems quite boring, Victory should not rely on siding with a faction. A player should have an open ended way to quest his way to Victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Schwendemann
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get the others at maximum, all that has to happen is the card you have has to be one point ahead.

I don't think that is necessarily siding with a faction. Though that would be quite a challenge to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Sweep the Leg!
mbmbmbmbmb
I won my first solo play through actually following and completing side quests. I only got the one loyalty card from the start of the game, got that faction ahead by 3 or so and then got a bunch more thumbs up from completing quests. Looks like doing the main quests too quickly leads to ending the game before you can acquire the points to win. For me, it was an accident that it worked out that way. I feel like I still need to read up on Agenda cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tweed Dust
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temujinjr wrote:
Yes, they do stack. ...

You guys who know that they stack. Where have you found this information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rainmaker
msg tools
The way I see it is that the agenda cards don't necessarily give the "extra" points when revealed for loyalty, but rather when you gain it. The rule book basically states that when you receive the agenda card you receive one, plus whatever the extra amount is if the conditions meet at that moment. It also states that the three benefits or "bonuses" you receive for being loyal are basically immunity to that faction. It may not make sense in the stand point of role-playing, but the main point of the game is to gain influence. Yeah, this means you can be loyal to one faction and still get points for the other, when it's ahead. But then again, loyalty is flimsy, on your turn you can withdraw or switch loyalty with no penalty.

I think the main reason you stay with 4 agenda cards once you reach 4 is just to make "rounds" go faster. I haven't seen any rule stating to "play" an agenda. You can only have one agenda card revealed at any given time and only if it is a loyalty card, all other cards remain hidden. The part where you trade agenda cards during a camping action could be to see if you could hopefully gain an agenda card with a loyalty that'll grant you immunity to allow you to complete quests. If you were in a situation where you draw multiple agenda cards, (haven't seen that happen yet) yeah, I guess they do stack, but I don't think they stack when in your agenda section

This is my take on it. I may be wrong for all I know. This board game is awesome as a whole. I found it odd that the agenda cards were just left with vague rules. It doesn't state if the extra points are given when you draw them or as soon as those conditions are met at a later point. I chose to play with the former which means you start the game with one influence meaning one less to strive for and have had a blast so far.

EDIT: Never mind, in the rules under faction token you can gain influence from the token advancing. Also while doing some research I found that on the Bethesda site forum the game developer said that the agenda cards do stack. Changes the tactics a bit for my future playthroughs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Oh wow, it just hit me in a session I had last night. The game doesn't come with a means to tally influence points as they are meant to be tallied at any point with the agenda cards. This basically changes a lot of the game tactics. It is a definite yes that the agenda cards stack. You basically check if the agenda cards add up to the required influence at any given time. You don't accumulate influence over time. Also, loyalty doesn't give you influence points, if you have both faction cards either one can give you influence if one dominates the other, regardless of your "loyalty!" This also makes the game a lot more fun and gives incentive to make camping actions and trading agenda cards with other players to meet "your end" goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.