1 Posts

Saltlands» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Second solo game of Saltlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
Second game of Saltlands, this time solo, hard, with the Healer.

I wanted to have more of the board uncover than when I played my first game (where I managed to stay on the original 3 tiles). So I purposely selected Rumor Card directions that pushed the Rumor Markers North. Also, due to the Healers special ability to, well, heal effectively, I decided that I didn't need any crew to absorb hits. I could use the extra hand size to maintain enough first aid kits to protect myself. She can also change the wind direction, so again, I stuck with the Land Sail (though about halfway through, I got the armored version).

I started by picking up a couple of easy loot tokens, before heading out Northeast. I made a plan early to win on the blue rumor tile.

Anyway, I think I got a little lucky. As you can see from my image below, the tile I ended up winning on had a large dune barrier on the Southwest edge. If Raiders cannot reach you with unlimited movement, they don't move at all. So, I was able to dart around that tile with only minimal interference from the Raiders. However, my last move was pretty epic. With a Speedster and 2 Trucks on the tile, I needed to kill them all to win. First, I took out the Speedster next to me with a molotov cocktail. Next, I destroyed the Truck with an AK47. Moving off towards the final foe, I refreshed myself with some water, before shooting the Truck with a sawed off shotgun. Downing some more precious water, refreshing myself a second time, I finished it off with a pickaxe.

Ta-da! The Healer wins!

Overall, I enjoy the game. You can take different paths to win, which is good. However, I feel that the game doesn't force you to change path enough. I have won both games using just the land sail. I could switch to a powered vehicle, but that would be just because I wanted to, not because I had to to alter my strategy. I've yet to try controlling more players, or the Epic game, which adds more tiles, Raiders and card requirements. Maybe they will change things up a little. Looking forward to finding out.

Overall, a fun, relatively fast, game, with beautiful components, and an interesting hand-management puzzle. Though I won, I would have been in trouble had any of the Raiders survived, and spawned again. I would have been forced off the tile to get more weapons, and that would likely have been the end of me.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.