Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: Play Balancing the '41 Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A&A Anniversary is my favorite iteration of this game.

I have played the '41 scenario many times with the National Objectives. The version seems a little tilted towards the Axis.

Any idea what the going bid (and how distributed) or other tweaks to make this more play balanced?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bjergmose
Denmark
Viby Sjælland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play Balancing the '41 Version
Standard bid is between 10-12.

Extra inf in egypt and inf/art/armor in russia to counter attack R1.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play Balancing the '41 Version
bjergmose wrote:
Standard bid is between 10-12.

Extra inf in egypt and inf/art/armor in russia to counter attack R1.


Am I right to assume that the Allied player chooses his builds and their placement?

Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Play Balancing the '41 Version
sharpe1813 wrote:
bjergmose wrote:
Standard bid is between 10-12.

Extra inf in egypt and inf/art/armor in russia to counter attack R1.


Am I right to assume that the Allied player chooses his builds and their placement?

Thank you.


You are correct. You can buy whatever you want with your bid. Standard placement is to limit new placements to only 1 new unit per territory or sea zone and only place new units in territories or sea zones where units of that nation already exist (e.g. no US fighters in Great Britain before the start of play).

As for bidding, it might go something like:

Player A: I'll take Axis against an Allied bid of 8.

Player B: No, I'll take Axis against an Allied bid of 10.

Player A: Well, I'm willing to take Axis against an Allied bid of 13.

Player B: You're on.

At which point, Player A is Axis, Player B is Allies, and the Allies have 13 IPC with which to place new units on the board before the start of play.

If you have more than 2 people, substitute Team A and Team B for Player A and Player B. Same rules.

My 2

-M_R
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only started playing A&AA and find that the Axis have the better chances of winning. Good grief, are you saying that just 13 IPC as a one-off payment to the Allied cause can alter the balance of the game to such a degree.

I mean, and for example, 13 IPC buys one additional bomber for Britain (with 1 IPC change) which is then shot down by German AA fire over Berlin on its first flight out. That surely puts the Allies back to square one immediately. I know the chances of the British losing the second bomber which is part of the original set up on the same sortie is slight leaving the Brits still with one bomber but you know what I mean.

Is 13 IPC really enough as a one-off payment to alter things or have I got it wrong?

Thank you for any clarifications.

Dave

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:
I've only started playing A&AA and find that the Axis have the better chances of winning. Good grief, are you saying that just 13 IPC as a one-off payment to the Allied cause can alter the balance of the game to such a degree.

I mean, and for example, 13 IPC buys one additional bomber for Britain (with 1 IPC change) which is then shot down by German AA fire over Berlin on its first flight out. That surely puts the Allies back to square one immediately. I know the chances of the British losing the second bomber which is part of the original set up on the same sortie is slight leaving the Brits still with one bomber but you know what I mean.

Is 13 IPC really enough as a one-off payment to alter things or have I got it wrong?

Thank you for any clarifications.

Dave

Well, 13 IPCs can certainly swing things one way or another, but thinking in terms of buying one expensive unit may be understanding the point. Instead, let's think about buying 3 infantry (9 IPCs) and 1 artillery (4 IPCs). Put the infantry at key locations soon to come under attack - like Egypt, Burma, India, or the Baltic States - and the artillery at a key site for Allied counter-attacks - like Russia or Great Britain.

Or, let's give the British a submarine (6 IPCs) to help beef up the Home Fleet, the Chinese another infantry (3 IPCs) on the front lines against Japan, and the Russians that one artillery (4 IPCs) to counter-attack the Germans with.

Now, think about what the Allies can do now that they couldn't before and about what will cost the Axis more to do now than in against the OOB (Out Of the Box) OOB (Order Of Battle).

And, if 13 IPCs isn't cutting it in your games, next time hold out for 15 or more. That's the point of a bid - it's flexible.

My 2

-M_R
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for coming back, Midnight Reaper, I must give it a try. I love this game with all the variations of strategy and tactics that can be employed and the endless decision making.

It's great.

dave
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Magro
msg tools
I like this version of the game too. Bit "enough" and double in ond dag.

We play with Soviet controlling China. It helps China a lot and we find Japan the main issue. Not sure what is best but to me Japan is the issue and UK weakest perhaps UK get a free5 industri unikt turen 1? That is a major boots though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.