Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spider-Gwen Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quite interesting question popped up on the Solo Group Facebook page about Spider-Gwen's Save the day card. I guess I never really questioned it before because I thought I knew that answer, but I wanted to see what you guys though. I know there's some overlap of people, but I always think the BGG consensus seems a little more well reasoned. The questions is: "Do you get the bonus attack even if the Rooftops are occupied?" What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
If rooftop is not empty you do not get the bonus since the bonus is part of the same sentence that is connected to the patrol keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
If rooftop is not empty you do not get the bonus since the bonus is part of the same sentence that is connected to the patrol keyword.

That's what I think too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devin Low confirmed: If there's a bad guy on the tower, you don't get no power.

It's all part of the same Patrol ability as thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even know how someone interpreted this any other way for that question just to pop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Indeed, gotta keep those rooftops clear before Spider-Gwen can swing in and save the day. The attack is conditional on the patrol keyword. If you can, though, boy does she ever save the day. My highest attack for just one copy of Saves the Day was something like 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mspider_89 wrote:
I don't even know how someone interpreted this any other way for that question just to pop up.

I know. I thought it seemed pretty evident, but on the FB Group people started really supporting the idea that you get the attack regardless until Devin Low spoke up. I know there's crossover between the users a bit, but they seem a little wonky on rule discussions over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
What's the name of the Facebook group. I would like to join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
I know. I thought it seemed pretty evident, but on the FB Group people started really supporting the idea that you get the attack regardless until Devin Low spoke up. I know there's crossover between the users a bit, but they seem a little wonky on rule discussions over there.
Is one of those cases of people seeing what they want to see. There's no need to overthink a clear thing unless you want to bend the rules. And that is kind of cheating hahah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
What's the name of the Facebook group. I would like to join.

Solo Boardgamers Legendary Group

Friendly group of folks, even if the rules discussions can get out of hand sometimes. Devin Low still posts there even if he seems to have abandoned these boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mspider_89 wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Is one of those cases of people seeing what they want to see. There's no need to overthink a clear thing unless you want to bend the rules. And that is kind of cheating hahah

Sometimes people get a bit bent about the specific language, when sometimes you have to more think about the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I mean, it's just a question of how you parse the sentence. It's not the cleanest language ever, although I think it's clear enough.
The correct grouping is:
If it's empty, [rescue a Bystander, and then get +1 \\\ for every two Bystanders in your Victory Pile.]

But some people read it, and see:
[If it's empty, rescue a Bystander], and then get +1 \\\ for every two Bystanders in your Victory Pile.

Interestingly, a similar question came up in the latest Dominion expansion (Nocturne), for the Fool card. It spawned an enormous grammar-debate on the dominionstrategy forums.

(for reference Fool's text is:
Quote:
If you aren't the player with Lost in the Woods, take it, take 3 Boons, and receive the Boons in any order.

and as with this, you only get the 3 boons if you aren't the player with Lost in the Woods.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
Theorel wrote:
[If it's empty, rescue a Bystander], and then get +1 \\\ for every two Bystanders in your Victory Pile.

I agree that it seems clear to me. I think that if it were supposed to be this interpretation, then they would be split into two different sentences. I would expect it to read something like...

Quote:
Patrol the Rooftops: If it's empty, rescue a Bystander.

Get +1 \\\ for every two Bystanders in your Victory Pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteBoy wrote:
Theorel wrote:

I agree that it seems clear to me. I think that if it were supposed to be this interpretation, then they would be split into two different sentences. I would expect it to read something like...

Quote:

Yup. I agree. That's a good way of putting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteBoy wrote:
Theorel wrote:

Quote:

Couldn't agree more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls