Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers is a 2013 game from Uwe Rosenberg with art from Klemens Franz and published by Lookout Games.

This is a worker placement game that a lot of people felt was a "sequel" to agricola. It deals with a lot of the same issues. You can clear forests to plant crops, you can build fences to corral animals, You get materials to build dwellings to house more workers, and get food the feed your workers. This ditches the card system in agricola and instead has a bunch of unique buildings for you to get. It also adds a cave system for you to clear out, giving you places to put your buildings and spaces to build ore and ruby mines.

Caverna also lets your workers go out exploring, letting them gather goods and do more powerful actions after they get more and more experience.

Let us know what you think about this game. Do you think it replaces Agricola? Or does it take it in a bad direction? Is there room for both? Put all that stuff and more down below and we will read it on our review episode. If you have any reactions to the episode, put it down here and we will talk about it in a later episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambie
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want to play a board gaaame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either enough to have my own opinion, but my friend has played Agricola over 100 times and definitely thinks that Caverna doesn't replace Agricola. It seems like Caverna is more beginner-friendly, but for people who are super into Agricola, there's a lot of depth because of the cards (and drafting them at the beginning).

...Meanwhile, I like getting a bunch of dogs in Caverna. Dog strat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Caverna once, but I came away unsatisfied. I think Uwe took too much of the tension away that Agricola had. I felt like I had an abundance of resources, including too much food toward the end of the game. It just became a clutter. I do like that you aren't forced to do a little of everything, mainly in regards to animal husbandry, like you are in Agricola. However, it just became too much of a point salad at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey Guys,

What were the group of big Kickstarters that Adrian said were launching on Tuesday?

Well, Adrian said “tomorrow,” which Zach said was “three days before” we’d hear this episode (i.e. today, Friday).

(Of course, if you’d actually mentioned a day or a date, I wouldn’t have had to play Sherlock Holmes to figure that out. Then again, we heard how well things go when you do try to mention days and dates, in the last five minutes of the episode, so, maybe staying vague is for the best. But I digress...)

I did notice that Tiny Epic “Pirates” kicked off today. (Nice job, Zach.)

But I didn’t see anything else on Tuesday, or anywhen else this week, that I thought would really set off bells for you three. Interested in hearing what games you were looking forward to.

Thanks,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.