Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Relative strength of the various factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going Lantids, want to leverage their early sci and expansion abilities. So this means PI R1/R2 and you want to get at least 8 sci, preferably 10-12 and use that to snowball their econ + Fed. Otherwise you just wouldn’t pick them

Many of the “weaker” races are just more situational but can be good in the right situations, which do come up in GP more than TM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu broche
msg tools
Chrondeath wrote:
broche wrote:
I mostly agree with the result. However our group had very good result with Lantids (4 win in 4 games, all 3-4 players)

I would be interested to hear more details about this. Was there a consistent strategy that they used? Mine spam early, late? With or without PI? Particular scoring options they made heavy use of?



First 3 games are less relevent (less games under the belt and less experienced playgroup). They were all won without PI if i remember right but with at least one end game bonus for number of structures. Last game they won a close game using the PI (score when in the 160s)

I feel they get a good early economy since they can expand early, also they are hard to block. Downside is that they start with low power.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Leon
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
44% of people say firaks is ok; firaks is by far the worst faction. Therefore 44% of people don't know how to play Gaia project.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jurpque wrote:
44% of people say firaks is ok; firaks is by far the worst faction. Therefore 44% of people don't know how to play Gaia project.
It's always good when a renowned expert enlightens the unwashed masses with the unchallengeable truth. whistle
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jurpque wrote:
44% of people say firaks is ok; firaks is by far the worst faction. Therefore 44% of people don't know how to play Gaia project.


Good to see a GP guru who knows everything
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found Ambas to be similar to Darklings in TM. A good all-rounder faction that can do a lot of stuff in a lot of setups. Terrans - not as much, but that could be because they were not played optimally.

Ambas:
- has 1 extra worker income;
- starts with navigation therefore an extra QIC;
- 95% of the time they get the extra planet at the top of Nav;
- the extra planet helps with most end-game goals;
- their Planetary institute ability is great in most setups (more federations=more points);
- has a map board (unsure which # it is) with brown-green-green close together.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
We have found Ambas to be similar to Darklings in TM. A good all-rounder faction that can do a lot of stuff in a lot of setups. Terrans - not as much, but that could be because they were not played optimally.

Ambas:
- has 1 extra worker income;
- starts with navigation therefore an extra QIC;
- 95% of the time they get the extra planet at the top of Nav;
- the extra planet helps with most end-game goals;
- their Planetary institute ability is great in most setups (more federations=more points);
- has a map board (unsure which # it is) with brown-green-green close together.

Tile 7
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:

- has a map board (unsure which # it is) with brown-green-green close together.


Yes this tile in the center area causes an issue with this race along with their +1o income for no apparent reason. This leads them to easily be able to expand several planets and build a strong income early game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
We have found Ambas to be similar to Darklings in TM. A good all-rounder faction that can do a lot of stuff in a lot of setups. Terrans - not as much, but that could be because they were not played optimally.

Ambas:
- has 1 extra worker income;
- starts with navigation therefore an extra QIC;
- 95% of the time they get the extra planet at the top of Nav;
- the extra planet helps with most end-game goals;
- their Planetary institute ability is great in most setups (more federations=more points);
- has a map board (unsure which # it is) with brown-green-green close together.


Yeah, I've compared Ambas to TM's Darklings too: always viable and sometimes incredibly good. All the stuff you mention above means they never have a bad setup, and the extra ore makes them incredibly forgiving to doing unusual things in play (e.g. I've had successful games going to level 3 terraforming in round 2 and aggressively digging with them; no other faction can really support terraforming with ore until round 4-5).

I disagree that they want to go all the way up Nav in most games, but it's obviously an option. I have wondered if they'd still have been a viable faction without that starting Nav step; it'd certainly have given Gleens more of a niche.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:

I disagree that they want to go all the way up Nav in most games, but it's obviously an option. I have wondered if they'd still have been a viable faction without that starting Nav step; it'd certainly have given Gleens more of a niche.


That would have been nice. Nav is the only track that has 2 races with a starting bump.

If their special ability was just +1o, they would be more inline. Their PI is good for at least +1 fed a game but usually more and it gives +2pt.


Nav2 is enough for them unless there is a compelling reason to get lost planet. Econ, TF, GF, AI are all viable tracks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
Ambas are definitely the most consistently viable faction, but luckily I don't think they are necessarily overpowered, just versatile. They are definitely our most-picked faction in 2p games (where they are viable at an even greater rate), but their win rate hovers around 50% for us.

I've been leaning more towards bal t'aks and bescods recently. Bal T'aks just have a lot of potential points everywhere with so many QICs and a starting tech bump and can go tech upwards or build outwards in a pinch. Bescods are just remarkably versatile. Their planet setups are a little more inconsistent than most because of grey planets tending to be on the outer edge of tiles, but it also means they can get some really good setups. But they can go early nav, early economy, early science, and take any tech tile without messing up their build. They might even be better in 2p with less competition over research tracks, since they tend to go up tracks later in the game. I really enjoy the fact that I can get 20 tech bumps with a nav opening with them while still getting a strong ore + credit economy.

I've mentioned this a few other places, but I consider lantids and gleens underpowered in 2p. Gleens in particular are completely overshadowed by ambas in almost every setup, but I have seen them do work in 4p games (I think the pbf games are biased against them because they tend toward more engine-building factions with so much time to plan turns). Lantids I think are the best candidate for "actually underpowered" at any play count, but in reality I don't have enough experience with them outside of 2p games, so it's mostly a suspicion. I think Jack is playing them very well in PBF 11.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's an interesting question...

Should we start a new poll now that the game has been out awhile? There seems to be some consensus in another thread that Gleens are generally better than Xenos, but if we look at the poll results given here, Xenos have a better overall ratings. So either people in the other thread are slightly misguided or opinions about the races have changed now that we've had time to play around with them more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29802730#29802730

This post is close to my own observations, with a few adjustments. The top 4 are definitely on point
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bokken B
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
I'd move terrans down one tier, and HH up one. And I'm still unsure on if i'd leave either of the yellow where they are now or move them up one tier... But otherwise I agree. The top for are pretty spot on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan tkatchev
msg tools
Quote:
In my gaming groups, no one has really clicked with the Lantids yet.
They have been played twice to mediocre results and shunned in favor of the Terrans afterwards.
I'd like to give them another shot, but I'm really unsure what conditions regarding tech tiles, scoring tiles and board setup are favorable to them.


Get the PI, leech off other players to get knowledge and mines for practically free. You should have 8 or 9 mines really easily. Then use the "points for each mine" round booster or advanced tech to get 18 or 9 points effortlessly. There's also an opportunity to build federations easily.

I only played a few times and I'm not so good, but the "points for each mine" bonuses immediately jump out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tkatchev wrote:
Quote:
In my gaming groups, no one has really clicked with the Lantids yet.
They have been played twice to mediocre results and shunned in favor of the Terrans afterwards.
I'd like to give them another shot, but I'm really unsure what conditions regarding tech tiles, scoring tiles and board setup are favorable to them.


Get the PI, leech off other players to get knowledge and mines for practically free. You should have 8 or 9 mines really easily. Then use the "points for each mine" round booster or advanced tech to get 18 or 9 points effortlessly. There's also an opportunity to build federations easily.

I only played a few times and I'm not so good, but the "points for each mine" bonuses immediately jump out.


Sadly they don't have much power tokens and don't get them really easily, which means they can't form feds that easy. They also need to be careful, to not build all mines on shared planets, as then they can't expand anymore.
They just have a really bad start, so it's really hard with them to get going
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murilo Guollo
Brazil
flag msg tools
Nice!

Ivits is OP.
End of discuss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.