1 Posts

A Handful of Stars» Forums » General

Subject: Pimping the Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Long
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I know that others have already discussed this, but I am thinking about using some nice spacecraft models. The problem I foresee is that the look is actually made worse if the spaces are simply cluttered with a pile of plastic bits. I want to replace the piles of counters with single models. Options I think are plausible:

1. Different models to represent different numbers of fleet counters (several denominations: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6). Problems I foresee: too many models required to represent these denominations in sufficient numbers. Partly resolved by sharing the models and using a single fleet marker under a model to denote ownership (say). However, it is then harder to track use of 21 fleets. Also, do stacks actually grow larger than this? How big have stacks grown in people's experience?

2. Place a model on top of a stack of fleet counters (purely aesthetic benefit - the fleet strength is still represented in the pile of counters). The problem is then that the strength is harder to see and the whole thing becomes fiddly without real pay off (apart from the look).

3. Code models to fleet numbers and then place the fleet counters off board in spaces coded to the fleet numbers. Advantage of clear fleet sizes, less clutter on the map and aesthetics. Disadvantage: no longer quite so easy to see at a glance where the strong fleets are and the whole game takes up more table space. I think this solution could work well using models only to represent fleets of size > 1 (so single fleet counters will still sit on the map, but stacks will move to the off map display with models replacing them on the map).

I have not yet had enough experience playing the game to make a firm decision about all this. Maybe it really isn't worth it, but the aesthetics currently just don't enhance the game experience.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Particularly, those of you who have played multiple times?
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.