Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Marvel Legendary Hero Profile No. 24 - Gambit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stepping into the shoes of Midnight Rider, who started this series, it's the ever-popular Marvel Legendary Hero Profiles. Subscribe to the meta thread to get updates on a new thread.

This week, we're looking at Gambit, a Hero from the Heroic Base Set.

------

Gambit
X-Men

Card Shark (5 copies)
Ranged
2 Attack
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an X-Men Hero, draw it.
Cost: 4

Stack the Deck (5 copies)
Covert
Draw two cards. Then put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Cost: 2

Hypnotic Charm (3 copies)
Instinct
2 Recruit
Reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back.
Instinct: Do the same thing to each other player's deck.
Cost: 3

High Stakes Jackpot (1 copy)
Instinct
4+ Attack
Reveal the top card of your deck. You get + Attack equal to that card's cost.
Cost: 7

Gambit, the polestaff-wielding agent of being totally rad, has an advantage going into being adapted for a card-game. Through mutant powers, he uses cards as a weapon. Naturally, his deck revolves around moving cards around (quite satisfyingly) between your deck and your hand. The thematic connection, as with the Daredevil deck in Dark City, exists at a more experiential level than some analogy. With Daredevil you are thinking, remembering, and sometimes guessing blindly; with Gambit you are constantly physically touching cards. Arguably, the Spider-Man conceit of revealing and drawing enough cards also physically gets the player involved by mimicking the hand motion of the Web shooters---but that's for another time.

Aside from a few wrinkles that are up for debate, the Gambit deck succeeds with excellence at conveying its core idea through game mechanics, and all of the cards are well-balanced even today, no small feat for a deck for an oddly popular second-stringer in the base set box.

------

Card Shark is slightly underpowered and, in my perhaps controversial opinion, hampered by the team affiliation. Would it have been too overpowered to just give the player a card, with the slight malus of having to reveal it to all players? I generally don't like team-limited abilities as they hamper the wild utility between one character deck and another that might more organically otherwise arise. Marvel team-ups are full of characters who have nothing to do with each other making common cause against some foe, even from outside the team. Heck, that's the reason so many heroes make so many teams. Two attack and a card for 4 is a steal, but two attack and a maybe card for 4 is just a maybe.

Stack the Deck mitigates the issues I have with a team affiliation on the previous card. It works well especially today, with so many topdeck abilities, from Daredevil decks to Phasing to Investigate.

Hypnotic Charm gets at an aspect of Legendary that is perhaps underdeveloped, if not abandoned with the move to extremely brutal Masterminds all the time and the effective abandonment of the Villains line. Hypnotic Charm works equally well in co-op and competitive. Would that other "take that" cards in Legendary's history would manage the double feat so well. Thematically, it also gets at Gambit's ambiguous style. He's no Wolverine but he's still a bit rougher than your average goody-two-shoes.

High Stakes Jackpot is another solid design. A nice, flat ceiling to the powerup, as as of today the highest-cost Hero cards have a cost of 9---while at the time of printing 8 was the standard highest cost---and with 4 Attack at a mere 7 you'll always want it as soon as you can afford it. Topping it off is the standard boon of the rare: Its ability works quite well with the rest of the deck, both thematically and mechanically.

------

Next week, it's Dark City. Which Hero should we do next?

Poll
Which Hero should we do next?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Blade
41.5% 17
Nightcrawler
46.3% 19
Wolverine (X-Force)
12.2% 5
Voters 41
This poll is now closed.   41 answers
Poll created by TheUbiquitous
Closes: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to point out that Card Shark is useful even if you do not have any other X-men in the game, or not even another Gambit card in your deck. It allows you to see the next card, and this works very well with the various iterations of Daredevil in the game. It can let you know whether you should Berserk now or not, whether you should Investigate now or later, etc. Its full potential is reached, of course, when there are more X-men in play, but I'd say it's not too shabby on its own.

And wow, already the 24th hero profile! Congrats! Do you think we should also add profiles for villain groups / masterminds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Stack the Deck" is my favorite card. Simple, cheap, effective and infinitely useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
"Stack the Deck" is my favorite card. Simple, cheap, effective and infinitely useful.

So much this.

Gambit has always been a favourite with me, and it is mostly because of this card.

His other cards are decent and synergise well together, but that one is the highlight of the deck for me.

Agree with OP that Card Shark is the weaker of the bunch, but not terrible either if there's a) lots of X-Men around, or b) you've picked up lots of Stack the Deck (which you will have because it's awesome).

High Stakes Jackpot is a good solid, affordable rare.

Gambit's main weakness is that he doesn't bring a lot of recruit to the table, so it's best if he's paired with a good recruiter too.

He's amazing with other Heroes that play off the top of the deck.

I remember having an awesome game with him, Polaris and Storm in the September starter league, where I creamed Deathbird in 11 turns. Stack the Deck works very nicely with Polaris' Covert triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Gambit is always a good pick. I don't mind the team affiliation, as Xmen is the biggest affiliation we have in the game I believe and isn't likely to go out of style anytime soon.

And as said, even without it, it still has uses.

Another thing to note about Gambit is that Stack the Deck is a 2 cost card that let you manipulate the top of the deck. This makes him great in partnering with any of the Spidey clones as he really helps the group - you get another 2 cost card and if you get stuck with something that isn't 2 cost, you can replace the top of the deck and continue the chain.

The fact that it's covert and helps you to get combos set up makes him a good partner for Widow - I know I have a lot of tendency to mention her, but let's face it, she's the solo queen.

The solo princess, Ms Jean Grey, also combos with him exceedingly well as he has the colors she wants plus obvious Xmen support.

Oddly enough... Him and Rogue work together well because Rogue works with everything but he isn't super great at boosting her (or the other way around). You don't really want to copy any of his cards in particular and he can't even give her a strength card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Gambit's an excellent hero and a great example of how well the designers of the base set understood the game they were creating. I always feel like Gambit when I use his cards and they generally help me win.

His synergy with Rogue is interesting because it is a bit strained. They help each other with their covert cards but it takes effort to make them really shine together. Fittingly, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit is probably one of my favorite Heroes from the Core set. Not the strongest, but oh so useful.

Card Shark: Worst card in the deck, but still not that bad. Great card if you are playing with a bunch of X-Men, decent even if your not. In the very least, you can peak at the top of your deck.

Stack the Deck: Like I said earlier, my favorite card. It's inexpensive and useful in thousands of situations. Fits into every deck. The card is utility defined.

Hypnotic Charm: Another great utility card. Helps you cycle through your deck to get to the cards you want, or useful for peaking as well. Triggering this card in multiplayer you can either help or hinder the other players too.

High Stakes: Nice rare, works very well with his other cards, but hopefully you recruited another Hero that has a high cost. It may misfire sometimes, but if you've been building your deck right you should get a lot of utility out of it.

Overall: 5/5. Amazing support card, he will give anybody a helping hand. His downside is that he himself doesn't pack a lot of juice. No attack bonuses, no recruit bonuses. He'll guarantee that your other cards will trigger more often though. His deck manipulation skills are top notch, making this Hero top tier.

Try pairing with anybody, really. Some great match ups I can think of are:

Wolverines (X-Men, X-Force): they like drawing cards, so does Gambit.
Spider-People: He works amazing with the draw 2 cost mechanism. You can use stack the deck to guarantee your draw.
Scarlet Spider: Pair with the rare to turn Stack the Deck into "draw two".
Spider Woman: Her cards rely heavily on checking the top card of your deck.
Daredevil (any) C'mon, you probably figured that one out.
Noir: Know what you are investigating for will be there.

The list really just goes on and on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, votes in the poll are pretty evenly distributed. Get those votes in while they still count!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not one of my favorite characters, but definitely one of my favorite designs. He's the Swiss Army knife of Legendary.

Love Stack the Deck, of course. Probably my favorite card in all of Legendary as well, just because it is so crazy useful.

I find Card Shark to be useful in plenty of situations, even when there aren't other X-Men heroes to recruit. The combo of Stack the Deck with Card Shark is one of the most satisfying combos in the game to me, for some reason. Besides that, I find it to be very useful with Daredevil and Spider-Woman as well.

Hypnotic Charm is the weak link here. It's a perfectly fine card, but it just pales in comparison to the commons, I feel. I might recruit it early in a game, but I'm probably going to pass on it later unless I'm going for an Instinct-based draw engine. (Works great with Wolverine, for example.)

High Stakes Jackpot is a very solid rare. Maybe a little boring, design-wise, for a rare, but I wouldn't pass it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls