Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
218 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: New Board Game Design Contest at The Game Crafter: Game Pieces Only Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
In cooperation with Protospiel - Milwaukee, there's a new design contest on The Game Crafter. Build a game with no printed components! For more details, check out the contest page. First place is $100!

If you've got questions, I've got answers. Looking forward to seeing all the great entries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,
This makes for a very challenging game design . . . wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of half a dozen games that are commercially available that meet the requirements - breaking away from those tropes might prove difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
... breaking away from those tropes might prove difficult.

Not every game is a brilliant innovation. Many are good takes on established patterns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper Money is in the 'game bits' section on game crafter.

Is that considered a 'printed component'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
Paper Money is in the 'game bits' section on game crafter.

Is that considered a 'printed component'?

Ironically perhaps, I would not hold that against someone. Much of the stock at The Game Crafter is "recycled" from other products to be re-purposed in other games.

The spirit of "pieces only" is that the game include no materials you had printed specifically for this project.

I wouldn't push your luck too far though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, Eric! I've got a few other things on my plate right now, but this contest is the kind of thing that is going to be simmering in the back of my mind. an interesting challenge for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kenney
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that looks like a fun challenge!

Question on the bits: Do they have to be available upon submission? Like, I'm seeing a lot of kitten on "close out sale" and I'd hate for KNIGHT HALBERD VS ALL OF THE KITTENS to not be qualified because someone bought them all.

Not really. But still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If the finalists can't be ordered to be tested and judged, that'll hurt their standings to put it lightly. Don't run out of pieces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Karvounis
Greece
Moschato
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only they would allow some dice :-( I had a really cool idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a box absolutely necessary?

I ask this because I'm working on an abstract game that needs 21 token chips (the board) and 28 pawns, and it's possible that these componentes fits on a bag (medium or large). The bag is a game component too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
8odoros wrote:

Dice are allowed. Hrm. I see these as under Game Accessories, not Game Pieces, so I can understand where the confusion is. You should feel free to use them. I'll try to clear this up.

I see no problems for these menus;

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/game-accessories
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/game-pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
eximeno wrote:
Is a box absolutely necessary?

No. It is optional. But your game should have a container of some sort. A few hundred loose pawns is a trial to keep contained without something to keep them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
8odoros wrote:

Dice are allowed. Hrm. I see these as under Game Accessories, not Game Pieces, so I can understand where the confusion is. You should feel free to use them. I'll try to clear this up

I think he meant the custom-etched dice that were specifically called out in the contest post as being not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Peers wrote:
I think he meant the custom-etched dice that were specifically called out in the contest post as being not allowed.

Those are a no, true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouch or bag, is allowed?! (I guess as it is among components)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quadrante wrote:
Pouch or bag, is allowed?! (I guess as it is among components)

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the rules about unprinted (blank) cards, hexes, shards, standees etc.? I am considering using them as is - without printing. Is that still allowed, 'technically' allowed, or completely verboten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
elfboy wrote:
What are the rules about unprinted (blank) cards, hexes, shards, standees etc.? I am considering using them as is - without printing. Is that still allowed, 'technically' allowed, or completely verboten?

Everything on these areas is acceptable;

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/game-accessories
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/game-pieces

This is really about "no printing". If you need blank tiles, that's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. And cool.

I hope it'll help me bring down the cost of my entry. (Had planned all wood components, hadn't planned on a $50 game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian LaPorte
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Love this contest theme!

Can a booklet be referenced during game play? I have a design where players would either roll dice or pick a number and then reference the booklet for a phrase based on that number. The player would then use this phrase as the basis for game play during their turn.

Game play would consist entirely of manipulating game pieces during the player's turn. The referenced phrase would only be used to guide the player on their turn, and the booklet would only be referenced at the beginning of the player's turn (and possibly at the end of the turn if the player is challenged by other players).

While not entirely essential to play the game, this system would make the game MUCH more accessible for a wider range of players.

Alternatives would be to allow the player to mark a phrase in the booklet using a slider clip, or just listing phrases in the booklet as a starting point for players.

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
balaporte wrote:
Love this contest theme!

Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Can a booklet be referenced during game play?

No. I suppose if you had a blank book that players wrote in, that would technically be "allowed", but it would have to really excel as a game to overcome failing to live up to the spirit of the contest.

Quote:
While not entirely essential to play the game...

Keep working on it. Find a way to do it without printed materials. Your idea might be wonderful but the contest is its own challenge. No printed components. Be able to play with no box and only having the rules memorized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esa Seuranen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I't will be interesting to see, what kind of games will emerge (I was so surprised with the hook-box challenge, what you could do with just few cards).

Just a rules question/clarification regarding game box (and I guess why not the rules booklet too):
I would assume it is ok to use the box (or booklet) during the setup as an aid for setting up the game (as long as the box is not used during the game)?
Example 1: During setup picking initial components randomly from the box.
Example 2: During setup box (keeping it upside down) could be used to randomly distribute components to a restricted area.

In other words: you could to the setup just fine without the box, but it would be a bit more of a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jantteri wrote:
I would assume it is ok to use the box (or booklet) during the setup as an aid for setting up the game (as long as the box is not used during the game)?

Nope, not okay. That's playing the game using the box as a component. The rules only allow a box so you have something to prevent the pieces from getting lost while shipping it. Note, in my personal view, a completely blank box would not hurt the rating in my view. Presentation may matter to other judges more than me though.

A picture in the rulebook or on the box used as an example of play is fine, but the rules and the box are not to be used as part of the game's execution. You must be able to play the full, whole game with no box and rules only in mind.

Quote:
Example 1: During setup picking initial components randomly from the box.

Nope, not okay. Assume as soon as I have the components out of the (optional) box that I burn the box using the rules as tinder. Then I load a digital copy of your rule to read them.

Quote:
Example 2: During setup box (keeping it upside down) could be used to randomly distribute components to a restricted area.

Nope, not okay.

I think you can work through your examples pretty easily. A bag for randomizing. Dropping the components for random distribution.

And you aren't going to be instantly and totally disqualified if you break a rule a little. It will matter most to be a good game. If you used the box to set up and you were an awesome game, you could win.

As long as no one makes a more awesome game. Or follows the spirit of the rules better with an equal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |