2 Posts

Kitchen Rush» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Kitchen Rush is ... Well, A Rush! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Elizondo
United States
flag msg tools

As both the title of the game and this post might imply, this new arrival is a fast-moving rush of a game. A different take on the typical worker-placement game, this cooperative game really makes you feel like you're working in a busy, fast-paced kitchen, and it is one I personally will want to be bringing to the table more often.

In this game chefs work together to complete objectives in one of four difficulties (easy, normal, hard, or very hard). The team must complete a certain number of recipes, earn a certain amount of money (after paying 3 coins/worker for wages), and earn a certain number of prestige points.

Unlike other worker placements, your workers in Kitchen Rush are timers, and you can not move a worker until the time runs out. Each player has 2 workers (plus there is 1 universal helper to use) and they last about 30 seconds each. With rounds lasting about 4 minutes each, and a limited number of spaces available, it definitely makes for a tight game.

Tensions can definitely run rampant trying to get everything done. Ingredients and spices need to be bought and then collected and added to plates. Then chefs must visit and revisit the oven in order to cook dishes to perfection! There's a bit of stepping on toes and frantically yelling at each other to find out what's going on, but that's what makes the theme so perfect; it really makes you feel like you have customers waiting that need their meals served ASAP! There is always a lot to do, and it is definitely difficult (case in point - our first game, we ended with zero money), but as far as co-op games go, it does the genre well and is a lot of fun - once you get the hang of it.

Being that it takes a bit to get used to, I have a few tips for this one:

Plan Ahead - Setting out a game plan before each round is essential to getting everything done that you need to do.
Communication is Key - Don't try to handle everything yourself during the rounds. Ask for help, say what ingredients you need, and when possible utilize the extra helper timer (and let others know when they can use it). It's important to keep each other informed so that you aren't wasting time.
Maximize Your Moves - Speaking of not wasting time... Memorize where all your items are on the board/table, flip your timers as soon as you can, and pay attention to what actions you need to do in what order. Keeping all this in mind will definitely help you accomplish your goals.

I give this one a big thumbs up and certainly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of worker-placement games and is interested in trying one with a twist (it's harder than you think to go from just placing workers to placing them and watching to see when their time runs out)!

For some lovely formatting and a few more pictures, check out my blog post -->
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Loogman
flag msg tools
Great game, awesome with 2-4 players, but you need to try this solitaire, really challenging. The only difference with a 2 player game is you start with 4 timers instead of 5 and your rounds are 4 minutes 30 seconds. Probably the best solitaire game I’ve played.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.