Thumb up
1 Posts

Qwixx gemixxt» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Short review of Qwixx gemixxt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f s
flag msg tools
Qwixx gemixxt ("Qwixx mixxed") is an expansion for the dice game Qwixx.

Qwixx is an (IMHO) excellent, fast dice game that has just the right ammount of luck vs. push-your-luck vs. basic strategy.

Qwixx gemixxt offers two variants to play, both of which are variants of the base game. Both variants consist of a pad of game sheets, which are arranged differently from the base game.

The first variant has the numbers in the colour rows in an irregular, mixed progression. For example, the red track goes 10, 6, 2, 8, 3 ... etc.
The game is played just like normal Qwixx. The only difference is that the numbers are harder to find.

The second variant has the numbers in normal progression, but the colours change in a single row. For example, one row goes yellow 2, 3, 4, blue 5, 6, 7, green 8, 9, 10, red 11, 12.
In this variant too, the game is played just like normal Qwixx. Numbers are easy to find, but cross-referencing which colour is where and what number is what colour in what row is hard.

Well... All that is of course not actually "hard", but it is cumbersome to do.

All the scoring sheets are the same for each variant, so one could, in theory, remember the progression of the numbers. And there might be a slight change in strategy, as the "good" numbers (statistically (5), 6, 7, 8, (9) are much more likely than the other numbers) are in different places.

But is it worth it? - for me the answer is no.
Both variants in this pack have the problem of being way too chaotic. There is no logic to the progression of the numbers (and colours) and this makes it very hard to look up what number might go in where. All this makes for a slower and clunkier game then vanilla Qwixx. And I cannot see what is gained by that.

If I was asked to find something positive about this expansion, it would be that
1) it is still Qwixx (and still relatively quick)
2) it is different from vanilla Qwixx, interesting change of pace

But 2) is already a rather weak point to make.

Qwixx gemixxt is inexpensive, so maybe try it if you like Qwixx.
But I would say that you lose nothing if you do not. Basic, vanilla Qwixx without Qwixx gemixxt is the better game.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.