Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.

As I checked the Monsters, I wonder where "Kōtahi" comes from. I'm actually a Japanese but never heard of it. Does it come from another Asian country, or is it an original monster made by CMON?

On the page "List of legendary creatures from Japan" of Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_fr...), "Kōtahi" is explained in a really weird way (What "Manawa Bradford" means?). It says Kōtahi is also referred as "カノト" ("Kanoto", read as kah-NOH-toh), which means "elder metal", not means any monkies nor monsters. Actually, Kanoto is never combined with zodiac monkey, which belongs younger side.

Anyone has an idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone was screwing around with Wikipedia

https://www.facebook.com/kotahimanawa.bradford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that was a Wikipedia pull, as it doesn't look like that term is used anywhere else I could find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a NZ Maori word, means "standing together" or "unity".

Not sure that relates to this game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will call him Son-Goku anyway. I wonder why they didn't call him that instead of the obscure name they chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s definitely Songoku. God knows why it’s called Kotahi. An in-joke to do with that Bradford guy? Very sloppy Wikipedia use? A Chinese version of the name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is FANTASTIC. The game designers use Wikipedia for all their research and a dude from New Zealand winds up in a Japanese-themed board game.
This is the most exciting thing to happen in Dannevirke (tiny rural town) since someone tried to open a brothel there in 2008 and it lasted precisely 3 weeks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about editing Wiki, but I had a look, and found the revision here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_legendary...

I think it probably is entirely this. Some friend of Manawa Bradford put him in Wikipedia as a joke, and the lazy-ass researchers used that.

Which is pretty damn funny.

Edit: And that IP got tempbanned from editing because of vandalism to another wiki entry on Dannevirke, a NZ town which is the home of the suddenly famous Mr. Bradford. Definitely seems like an NZ wikitroll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:139.218.97.26

Edit Edit: Apparently Cluebot caught another of his edits and undid it

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List+of+legendary...

Right now I'm thinking that bot is smarter than some researcher somewhere :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a shame that they couldn’t be bothered to get a Japanese person to look over things. Still, amazing find here! somebody needs to tell the guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awkward...

I'll try to hold off judgment for now... but I can't find any mention of Kotahi in any of my (admittedly limited) printed resources. However, I can see Japanese monsters that don't appear in the game but are more commonly associated with Japanese mythology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's totally possible its either made up, or just a really obscure reference. It wouldn't bother me if its just made up.

They may of also wanted to avoid anyone making references to Dragonball so they avoided the name Goku.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Then they could have used his chinese name Sun Wu Kong. Or simply Monkey King would have been better than Kotahi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancalagonthe black wrote:
Then they could have used his chinese name Sun Wu Kong. Or simply Monkey King would have been better than Kotahi.

Sun Wu Kong is Chinese though. I really don't think its a big deal they took a little creative freedom with it. Its not meant to be historically accurate.

Im honestly surprised no one is complaining about Sunakake Baba, because she has a western style witch hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That really deserves a meme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drammattex wrote:
Awkward...

I'll try to hold off judgment for now... but I can't find any mention of Kotahi in any of my (admittedly limited) printed resources. However, I can see Japanese monsters that don't appear in the game but are more commonly associated with Japanese mythology.

I’m searching in Japanese, same as the OP, and that wiki article and the maori word are the only results for コタヒ and other spelling variants. And that is definitely Songoku, who is a character from the Chinese classic Journey to the West.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SwissQueso wrote:
It's totally possible its either made up, or just a really obscure reference. It wouldn't bother me if its just made up.

They may of also wanted to avoid anyone making references to Dragonball so they avoided the name Goku.

Son Goku/Songoku is a name from mythology and a classic Chinese novel. Dragonball and many more things are based on that. He’s not an original Dragonball character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
SwissQueso wrote:

Son Goku/Songoku is a name from mythology and a classic Chinese novel. Dragonball and many more things are based on that. He’s not an original Dragonball character.

I know that, but it won’t stop the dragonball references.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brieger
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
BTW I have confirmed this theory by talking with Kōtahi himself laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kotahi-Manawa Bradford
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hey guys, Kotahi here..
Yeah so about this thing.. It was one of my online buddies from Australia that was trolling one night about three or so years ago editing Wikipedia pages, Kotahi-Manawa is my name and the 'rage' refers to the way I sometimes rage when we're playing games, Tyralis contacted me on Facebook and I thought it was a pretty funny and interesting way to wake up lol, I thought it was funny how muchb research the devs put into the characters of this game. I actually really like the art though, feel free to ask me any questions.. I actually went to Japan last August, nice place.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvellous, absolutely hilarious. I really hope this spurs CMON to approach their future projects with a modicum of respect for the cultures they portray. As someone who has lived most of my adult life in Japan I was quite saddened by the sheer lack of respect they had for my homeland. Let’s do things better in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt this will be spun by CMON as "well done, you spotted our Easter egg!" rather than "oops, yeah, we did just lift names from Wikipedia without even a rudimentary check".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kotahi wrote:
Hey guys, Kotahi here..
Yeah so about this thing.. It was one of my online buddies from Australia that was trolling one night about three or so years ago editing Wikipedia pages, Kotahi-Manawa is my name and the 'rage' refers to the way I sometimes rage when we're playing games, Tyralis contacted me on Facebook and I thought it was a pretty funny and interesting way to wake up lol, I thought it was funny how muchb research the devs put into the characters of this game. I actually really like the art though, feel free to ask me any questions.. I actually went to Japan last August, nice place.

What’s it like to be a legend now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kotahi-Manawa Bradford
New Zealand
flag msg tools
SwissQueso wrote:
Kotahi wrote:
Hey guys, Kotahi here..

What’s it like to be a legend now?

Apparently I've been a legend for some years now, haha.. I just think it's pretty funny how thousands of players are going to be playing a game where a meme of me is in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kotahi wrote:
Apparently I've been a legend for some years now, haha.. I just think it's pretty funny how thousands of players are going to be playing a game where a meme of me is in it.

31,262 backers, and if we assume a conservative average of about 4 players for each game that's 125,048 people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all and Kotahi himself, now it's solved

In Japan, we have "Koshin" religion, which means faith for some kind of zodiac monkey god, and it has relationship with Shinto god named Saruta-hiko. I bet a part of Kotahi image comes from it... ("Ko"shin + Saru"ta-hi"ko)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dshin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.