Subject: Microbadge Design Award: Round 18 (January 2018) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
mb is given out for excellence in microbadge design, so this is your chance to acknowledge some of the quality microbadge designers out there. This is arguably the most prestigious microbadge design award, and the current way of giving it out only comes 'round once per year. Only up to 3 designers will get it each time, so if you are interested in participating, don't hold back!

You can more or less see this award as a lifetime achievement award, even though any designer - new or old, regardless of how many sales or 'badges they have created - can have it awarded to them, as long as they fulfill the following criteria:

Successfully and appealingly representing five difficult images and/or complex ideas in the restrictive 16x16 pixel format.

mb How It Works (In a Nutshell) mb
mb Any mb owner can nominate two different designers, including themselves. In order to do that, simply send me a geekmail stating the usernames of the designers you wish to nominate. There's no need to provide any information on the designer or why you are nominating them, but it is very helpful if you include 4-5 of their designs that you think are particularly good.
mb A nomination list will be compiled from the received nominations, and voting volunteers will receive a multi-option poll via geekmail to choose who is worthy of the award this time round. Any mb owner can volunteer to vote simply by geekmailing me and stating just that.
mb The poll described above will determine who, from 0 to 3 designers, will receive the award.

mb Time Constraints mb
mb You have NINE DAYS from the date of this post to make your nominations and/or volunteer to be a voter (until February 1st, 2018).
mb The poll will be sent out to all voters within a day or two, after nominations/voter volunteering has concluded (and any nomination/voting conflicts have been dealt with).
mb One week will be given for volunteers to vote. If there are no ties, the final results should be known about a week after nominations close.

mb How Do I Participate? mb
mb You want to nominate someone and are a mb owner? Simply geekmail me your nomination list, which may include up to two designers and which may include yourself, preferably with a list of 5 of their best microbadges.
mb You want to vote on who receives the award and are a mb owner? Simply geekmail me stating that you volunteer to vote! If you are not a mb owner, you still may be able to vote, as up to two guest judges are allowed.

mb Complete Award Rules mb

General Approach:
mb A new thread to be created here in the guild, asking for nominations and for voting volunteers (voters). Nominations and voting volunteering performed by sending a geekmail to the moderator (in this case, me). The moderator is not necessarily a voter or makes any nominations.
mb Nominators, who must be mb owners, may nominate up to two different microbadge designers (with no limitations, including themselves). Although not mandatory, every nomination may be accompanied with a list of 5 of the designer's exceptional badges (badges that are more complex than a wooden cube).
mb Voters, who must be mb owners, except for up to two guest voters, may not be on the nomination poll (i.e., if you want to be in the running, don't volunteer to be a voter). If someone volunteers to be a voter and is nominated by someone else, that user will be given the choice of which role he or she wants to have.
mb A committee of at least 6 members is setup. The committee will usually be composed of up to twelve voters (with a maximum of two guests), if there are more volunteers than that, some further adjustments might be made.
mb All received nominated designers are put into a multi-voting poll and geekmailed to the committee's members.
mb The nomination lists and polls' results are kept private and only accessible to the committee. The only publicly available information is the committee's composition and the final awarded designer list, if any.

Periodicity and Poll:
mb A new committee to be formed every 12 months (once per year). No restrictions on each new committee exist (i.e., somebody can participate in all of them, just one, whatever).
mb Each committee may award up to 3 designers with mb (0 to 3 awards). In the case that more than 3 designers would be awarded at the end of the poll, a simple tie-breaker poll will be used to check who is to receive the award.
mb In order for a designer to receive the award, they must have at least all but one votes (or all but two, in case of over 10 voters) in the multi-voting.

Limitations:
mb Nominators must be mb owners.
mb All voters must be mb owners, except for up to two guest voters.
mb Prior or current microbadge admins are exempt from the previous two restrictions.
mb Voters may not be on the nomination poll (i.e., if you want to be in the running, don't volunteer to be a voter).

Other Stuff:
mb Any unforeseen situations will be dealt with common sense. Unforeseen settings that can't be dealt with common sense in an obvious manner shall be discussed and decided upon here.
mb Everything related to the award will be announced here. The final result of this whole thing will also be announced in the main microbadge thread.

mb Award History mb
Previous Design Award rounds can be found here:
Microbadge Design award (quality award)
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 01
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 02 (round 6)
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 03 (round 7)
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 04 (round 8)
Microbadge Design Award: Round 9
Microbadge Design Award: Round 10 (March 2013)
Microbadge Design Award: Round 11 (September 2013)
Microbadge Design Award: Round 12 (March 2014)
Microbadge Design Award: Round 13 (September 2014)
Microbadge Design Award - Round 14 [March 2015]
Microbadge Design Award - Round 15 (September 2015)
Microbadge Design Award: Round 16 (April 2016)
Microbadge Design Award: Round 17 (January 2017)

30 designers have been awarded mb in the past, which are:
Munin, simonh, TabbySunLion, Debate, jgrundy, mrbeankc, garion, rmidjord, kevintlee, Lajos, spearjr, indigopotter, wildthayne, drewdane, Bail Organa, zorro_jv, anomander64, schwartzkopf, crazylegs, Delinear, Kattvippa, Kaffedrake, entwife, Thorin2001, cinderbike, Dunyc, edbolme, nunovix, Billythehut, and wizcreations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

:sigh:

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

:sigh:

-DK

You have a golden camel. Stop complainin’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nominations sent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One day left to get those nominations in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nominations are now closed. I’ll be contacting voting volunteers shortly. Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING!! surprisesurprisesurprise

when will we know the results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sent out the voting poll yet, busy week. Sorry for the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

The results for Round 18 of the prestigious Microbadge Design Award are in! For this round we have 2 very deserving recipients!

And the awards go to...

'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

mb mb mb mb mb

mb AND mb

Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

mb mb mb mb mb mb

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

Thank you to the voting committee and to everyone who submitted nominations!

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Gary and Simon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-deserved. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

out of curiosity, do we get to see the nominees and the voting results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations guys. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to Gary and Simon on winning the award!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh!

Thank you :-)

Sjeng wrote:

I think you'll be referred to this from the rules:

rules wrote:
The nomination lists and polls' results are kept private and only accessible to the committee. The only publicly available information is the committee's composition and the final awarded designer list, if any.

As far as I'm aware, you can't find out who else was nominated, you can't find out if the votes were unanimous, but I'm guessing from the string of microbadges listed under the avatars above that those are the list of nominated badges that supported the award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
psymann wrote:
Ooh!

Thank you :-)

Sjeng wrote:

I think you'll be referred to this from the rules:

rules wrote:
The nomination lists and polls' results are kept private and only accessible to the committee. The only publicly available information is the committee's composition and the final awarded designer list, if any.

As far as I'm aware, you can't find out who else was nominated, you can't find out if the votes were unanimous, but I'm guessing from the string of microbadges listed under the avatars above that those are the list of nominated badges that supported the award.

The badges under the names are just whatever examples the person running the polling picked as examples. Voters go through all of the person's microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me at least, with this bit in the rules:
Quote:
There's no need to provide any information on the designer or why you are nominating them, but it is very helpful if you include 4-5 of their designs that you think are particularly good.

...if people add those when nominating I’ll aggregate them, remove duplicates and occasionally, add a ‘badge or two of my own choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.