3 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What tec trees synergises? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vidar Thorsby
Norway
flag msg tools
Hi. I am wondering what tech trees synergises?

From first impression I would say there is a strong syngergy with:

Teching pure techonology. Tech gives tech, just focus it down. Taking just a little bit of tech does not seem so good. If you invest 4 tech in turn 1, you will only earn 1 tech turn 5 and 6. If you invest in tech later on it does not even pay off except in the form of flexabilaty.

Industry (the money and ore one) with terraforming (the settle one). This would be for exspansing.

Most noteably terraforming is at odd with the gaia project (the one with the ufos) as that bypasses the terraforming.

Also you would need to either tech exploration range, or juggle the green cubes. I do not think you need both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I'm not entirely sure that this is the right path of reasoning to go down for this game. My (limited) experiences with Gaia so far have been that you need to look at the synergies between the tech tiles (and advanced tech tiles) and the tracks they are on. Having the 3VP for mining a Gaia tile on the gaiaforming track or QIC track is a great combo. The tech feeds the point engine. The 4 power action is admittedly useful almost anywhere, but you can use it to gain terraforming actions if you aren't going up the terraforming track. Conversely, it can actually be a bad combo on the gaia track if you intend to use your power discs to gaiaform. You may not have enough discs to use the action. The one VP per planet type on passing tile is great if its on top of the terraforming, but not so good on the gaiaform track. If the four power standard tech tile is lined up with the 3VP per federation tile, you again have a self feeding engine. 2VP per tech bump is a great acquisition if its on top of the tech track, but obviously not as useful on top of the terraforming track. I know I've seen some other really good setups that aren't coming to mind right now. But the point is, IMO, you have to adjust your tech tree synergies based on the tech tile locations and availability, not on just the tech tree itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chase arnold
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
I think it’s helpful to remember that spending 4 knowledge is only one way to move up the tech track. The other ways are to build a research lab/academy and to use the QIC action for a new technology. This can change your maths substantially. For example, say you build a RL turn 1 and use it to acquire the technology that provides 1 knowledge income (and something else that I’m currently forgetting), and you can use it to move up the science track once to get an additional 1 knowledge income. With the innate 1 knowledge income most species start with, the +1 knowledge from your RL, the +1 knowledge from the tech, and +1 knowledge from the science track - you’ll be able to gain at least 5 more ranks on the tech track. The other post highlights some great combos between technologies and different tracks; I just wanted to add that most questions of GP can’t be isolated to one aspect of the game because of how fundamentally interconnected they all are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.