Hide
11 Posts

Dead Men Tell No Tales: The Kraken» Forums » General

Subject: Models ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Purkiss
msg tools
Are there any plans to do this expansion without models in the future? To me the models (especially without upgraded pirates) seem a bit out of place (especially as I can't paint models anymore), when the could have been tokens / punchboard representing them. I like the idea of the expansion, but paying more than what the game cost me mainly for models doesn't really seem that great. Standees / meeples / tokens / larger token would have been ideal really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Mulvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Couldn't agree more. For the UK it'll cost me around $100 to get the expansion and minis. That's far too much for a base game that's available for around £35. The minis feel unnecessary and are clearly driving the price up drastically. Also shipping is very expensive for the UK ($20 +$13 subsidised) given that they say the EU will be shipped to from the UK. Unfortunately I think I'm out unless there's a cheaper non mini version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is any of the campaign kickstarter exclusive? I really like this game and have been looking forward to the expansion. But money is tight, I'm already backing two other campaigns this month, and I have to ask myself if I should jump in now and back or wait until it comes out through retail.
As mentioned above shipping is expensive especially to New Zealand and the cost of the expansion is higher than expected. If I wait long enough this expansion will be on special through my local games store, so the sensible thing for me to do is wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures look nice but I would have prefered that they stuck to wooden meeples for the expansion, and make an add on for all the figures.

As is the expansion is too expensive for me, and the shipping only makes it worse.

I'll back at PnP level, and maybe look later at the retail release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no plans for a non-minis expansion. The number 1 request we've had over the last couple years was to add minis. This does that. If it's too expensive maybe wait for it to hit retail. You can just pledge $1 and increase your pledge any time in the next 6 months as you'll be part of the pledge manager in case you change your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
It's more that they don't feel needed for what the game is (a fun gateway+ co-op that I enjoy, that said it's too easy to win even on the hardest setting). With the expansion and minis it becomes a £100 game all in, which is a lot overall (that's getting near gloomhaven costs).

Generally models are a complete turn off for me (as I can't paint them and they look odd to me next to the other components (meeples, deck hand pieces and skeleton tiles), especailly unpainted), which is a shame as I like the base game and Kane Klenko's games a lot. Feels like not having a non-mini version was a bit of a missed oppurtunity to me.

Glad the kickstarter's going well though.

As a side note ...

Something I would have liked would have been a set harder difficulty setting and tokens to modify the starting board to modify the number of rooms that can be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dusek
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the minis just makes this too costly for an expansion. The expansion costs more than the base game. It’s a shame, as I really like the game. Good luck on the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to check out the KS, and for me it's just not worth it. I don't have the game, and knew the expansions and KS were coming, and hoped to buy one or even both. I'm not a minis person, and I don't like the look of the game enough to buy it for the price given.

That said, if most of people wanted minis, the company will be fine. I do see a lot of people wanting wood though. Maybe that's just a vocal minority? Time will tell. Unfortunately, I'll have to look for a used copy of the base game in the meantime. Too bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Josh, you can still get new copies of the game, take a look at eBay, there are plenty there for around US$50 plus shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Josh, you can still get new copies of the game, take a look at eBay, there are plenty there for around US$50 plus shipping.

Actually, it's usually closer to $41 right now... but we just did a restock of distributors so I suspect it'll go sub $40. The MSRP is $44.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What can I say, the conversion rates on ebay are based on PayPal conversion rates and we all know what a rip-off merchant they are! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.