Subject: Kickstarter vs Retail version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McPike

Safety Harbor
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I'm seeing Kickstarter versions pop up online for sale. How much do the Kickstarter exclusives add to the game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as only people in Australia or Japan have received their copies yet (to my knowledge), I’m not sure anyone outside of the design team could comment. However, given the sheer volume of KS exclusive content, I would have to imagine, quite a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you need/want in the game.

There is an additional clan, which is pretty big given that each has its own strong special ability.

A bunch of exclusive monsters which will probably be great for variety but ultimately will only matter to you if you actually play a lot or are excited about specific models/minis.

A lot of the cardboard utility pieces have been upgraded to plastic models for the Kickstarter version, such as strongholds, alliance tokens, and mandate tiles. This honestly is the part that I will personally appreciate the most (and has the smallest impact on actual gameplay)

All said and done though if you bought the retail version and remained totally unaware that these exclusives existed I do not think you would feel something was missing from the game. It will absolutely play fine without them.
However now you do know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People in the US are receiving their copies too, and my FLGS said they should be getting their retail pledges “soonish”. I haven’t played, but I think the biggest thing the Kickstarter exclusives add are the ability to play with a 6th player (without purchasing the Dynasty Invasion expansion), and more variety of monsters and season cards. There are also the components that are upgraded to plastic, but those are cosmetic improvements only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I've gone bough my copy of eh Kickstarter without touching the exclusive contents. I think the game is pretty complete with high replayability due to the nature of the gameplay itself (also the different card sets that is already in the core box). I do not think the exclusives are necessary to enjoy the game but of course they are very nice to look at when they come into play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Manno
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm in the US and received my pledge today. As for the exclusives, there are a few monsters and the Fox clan that are KS exclusive. However, the Kami unbound and an additional monster pack will more than likely be sold in stores so you aren't missing out much there.

Overall, the game is very playable without the exclusives, however, you get a lot more reply value out of the exclusives since you can add even more monsters/play additional clan. Note, you don't add every monster in every game, so with the extra ones you wouldn't necessarily play them all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Braude
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just want to say that unlike blood rage where there is hidden information and drafting so additional cards do matter, you can play the fox clan with another clan minatures and just search for the rules online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevan Ng
msg tools
mbmb
The extra stuff adds a lot of variety for sure but the retail version will still give you plenty of game. They are great for sure but defo not essential.

The components out the box are great as is; thick cardboard for tiles and the season cards, that do not need shuffled, are good quality. The 5 base clans and monster will be more than enough to give you a different game for a while, and like others said the non ks exclusive expansions will give you a lot value too.

If you really can't get the ks version or are on the fence you can print out the extra season cards/monster cards as they don't need shuffled and use proxy for the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Garcin
France
Saint Ouen
Seine Saint Denis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always with CMON, their exclusives increases replayability or provides interesting variants which is why I stopped buying CMON games I missed (or I didnt want at the time of the KS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the retail version at Dragoncon - since folks were able to win copies at Gencon. There's a TON of game in the retail box, it is like Blood Rage - sure there's more variation with the KS rules but the core box contains a ton of game.

I don't have the KS Blood Rage stuff - would I like them - sure - I love pimping out my games. But the game is balanced with the content I have - KS extras aren't always as well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cardboard strongholds in the retail version kind of suck. Its honestly probably the only thing I would change if I could in the retail version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest and, for me, most important addition is that of the Fox Clan, allowing you to play a 6p game without needing the Dynasty expansion (which I wasn't interested in). But if you're willing to either stick to 3-5 players or get that expansion, you're good.

Other than that, it's mostly component quality upgrades -- like the nice plastic strongholds and alliance markers -- and getting two expansions (Monster Pack and Kami Unbound) included in our pledges. There are a few KSE monsters, true, but that doesn't really change game play at all, it just means you'll have fewer options to choose from when setting up each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly wouldn't bother with the retail version (same for all CMON Kickstarters really).

The Fox clan is huge, but there's a lot of other small things, that you want done as best they can be in a game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Withers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
That seems like a crazy opinion to me. Having bought Bloodrage at retail and it being one of my favorite games, I'd be pretty pissed if someone had suggested that to me only to find out later how much I'd been missing out on.

I also have Zombicide S1, S3 and Black Plague, all retail games. They all play great on their own. I don't miss the KS exclusives at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Withers wrote:
That seems like a crazy opinion to me. Having bought Bloodrage at retail and it being one of my favorite games, I'd be pretty pissed if someone had suggested that to me only to find out later how much I'd been missing out on.

I also have Zombicide S1, S3 and Black Plague, all retail games. They all play great on their own. I don't miss the KS exclusives at all.

To be fair though, the Rising Sun kickstarter was huge. I dont even think the Blood Rage one broke a million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Withers wrote:

Fair enough. I'd rather miss out than not have it all - there's more games than I can play anyway, missing any given game is not the end of the world.

What I hadn't realised when I wrote this, is due to a Pledge Manager SNAFU, I may end up with some massive costs for getting my copy. If that turns out to be the case, I'll just refund it, and leave the game. I certainly won't be touching it at retail

The KS exclusives were far more significant on this game than the ones you mentioned - but I'd do the same in their cases too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trukk Treadwell
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mb
I'm interested if there were anymore opinions on this topic since more copies have made it out. I'm new to the deep end of the tabletop gaming pool and found this game has peaked my interest but I completely missed the kickstarter. I will definitely get a copy of Rising Sun and have found a $200.00 KS version available on the secondary market. Honestly the upgraded plastic tiles and tokens are what I covet most. My gaming group of 5 can only carve out once a month to meet for 4-5 hours a pop so most games get 8-10 plays usually. My brain has been spent way too much time trying to decide if the Fox Clan and extra monsters are worth the "late to the party" fee or would I just be paying $100.00 for upgraded components. I realize this is like asking the old guys on tavern bar stools if ordering a drink is a good idea or not. But I am truly curious if you think the kickstarter exclusives will keep Rising Sun on your tables longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more content and some updated components. Blood Rage was the same and I think that the retail version of that game is incredibly solid and complete. A few of the exclusive monsters are really cool, but others are pretty weak and dilute the pool. I also really dislike the Norse Gods expansion as it makes your options feel more restricted and limited than just playing the base game. I hope the Kami Unbound expansion ends up being good.

Bottom line is, if you can't get the Kickstarter edition of Rising Sun, you'll still have a very solid and replayable game. More isn't always better, and in the case of these games I want to believe that Eric Lang puts his best ideas into the core boxes and then uses the not as great ones as KS exclusives/expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.