Hide
11 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Assets for homebrew races (Tyranids, Tau, IG, and Necron) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Porter Westling
msg tools
While we wait patiently for Hanny to release to the official super-nice versions of these factions, I took a stab at some graphic design and put together assets for these 4 homebrew factions myself. I did a fair amount of templating work in GIMP for these so I thought I'd post both the final products in case people want them, and also the GIMP xcf files for others to use however they want.

Because I made these for my group internally and have now much later decided to release them, there are a handful of changes I've made from the V2 versions described by stevenmathers in the various faction threads:

- I've changed the wording on various cards to things that were clearer for my group of players. Hopefully these will help others as well.

- I couldn't find good images for the names of some cards, so some card names have been changed or reassigned. In particular, Bullgryn became Veterans for the IG, and the names of Termgants, Hormagaunts, and Spine Gaunts were rearragned for Tyranids, with the name Hive Guard replacing Spine Gaunts.

- My group didn't like the cases of starter cards having only unit abilities, so Genestealers and Pathfinders were changed to general abilities. This may make Pathfinders too strong, but we haven't found Tau as a whole to be too strong so we're reserving judgement.

- We thought it'd be fun to insert a little variety into the IG starter cards, and so added a totally new card Sanctioned Psykers. The original starter card we replaced (Heavy Weapons Team) is still in the bag for the faction if you don't want the new one.

The tabletop simulator mod is here, and also includes a bunch of scripting I've done: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127860...

All the assets are uploaded here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/forbidden-stars-assets/FSAssets.zip (warning, large file!)

Edit: Also the start tiles and faction sheets: https://s3.amazonaws.com/forbidden-stars-assets/TileAndFacti...

Hope this helps anyone else out there looking to put together their own factions, or who just want to play with the most up-to-date versions of the new ones!

Feel free to use these assets for anything and everything you might want.

Here are some examples of the cards for each faction:

Edit: Sanctioned Psykers for those who are interested:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow!...thank you!...great work!

"[+1]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hanny"? What does that mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porter Westling
msg tools
Sorry - the user Hanysonic has been working on the official set of V2 designs for these cards for a while, as mentioned in the various threads for the factions. User stevenmathers, one of the designers of these factions, calls her or him "Hany" in all the threads - I misspelled it blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven mathers
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Hey Porter!

Can you do a report on the V2 factions gameplay? Particularly the Tau - how did you find the new event-driven strategies for them, etc...?

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porter Westling
msg tools
Hey Steve

I'd love to! Due to the holidays we've only had two games including the new factions, but can give some general overview of how those went:

Game 1: We had IG, Tyranids, and Tau. The overwhelming impression from this game was that the new factions had a higher gun-to-health ratio that made things quite different - we did not have a single fight that ended on morale in the first 4 or 5 turns, where normally almost all of our fights end on morale. Almost every fight all game saw one side utterly destroyed by the other.

I don't remember things turn by turn, but we saw the IG build up what felt like a solid mid-game advantage through numbers and early cards that honestly felt a bit OP a first. The IG cards turn any concentration of numbers into a huge advantage. Not having very much defense though meant that IG and Tyranids were sort of suiciding into each other and losing lots of materiel. The IG eventually lost traction due to a lack of mobility. We concluded that at the very least, they require more factories and more careful guardsmen positioning than we were used to. The player for this faction also didn't get Departmento Munitorum, which we concluded later was probably an oversight.

Tyranids felt fragile early, though the starting bastion was useful in ways that cannot be overstated. By mid game however having tons of materieland the mobility from hive fleets made them feel very hard to fight. There was some discussion about the strength of Hive Ship Factories and whether it was too much - we'd want to play a lot more games before coming down one way or the other though. Tyranids ended up winning on the back of HSFs dropping multiple Carnifexes onto an out-of-the-way objective world.

I think there were two big things that came from our Tau player: The combat cards felt a bit weak to them, and the event ability was super cool, but the events didn't seem strong enough in all cases. I think Rapid Response in particular wasn't viewed well. Our second game seriously revised our opinions here though on the combat cards.

Game 2: Necrons, Space Marines, and Tau. I think the Tau cards made a much better showing here, with the difference being they require more awareness to get right, given how focused things like Mont'ka and Superior Tactics are. The stand out in this game was the rise and fall of the necrons though. The necrons seemed dominatingly strong in fights early, and getting eternity gate let them take over a huge portion of the map. On top of that, they drew Well of Time multiple times and used it to really throw an obnoxious wrench in turn order. Half way through we almost stopped playing due to how well the necrons were doing. Then, the space marines got a slightly upgraded combat deck, and suddenly there was no way to punch through them. Every fight was just the SMs getting 1 guy routed and then winning on morale. Necron expansion totally stopped, and they never reached their third token, with SMs and Tau ending up tying for tokens and SMs winning on tie break.

For specific evaluation of the Tau - I think the event-driven faction is really fun and a super novel idea. I think some of the events could be buffed a tiny bit and not make them overpowered. The combat cards feel a bit Chaos-y in that they're more situational than Orks or SMs, but I'm convinced personally that they can be quite strong. The balance is certainly close enough that we want to play a few more games before trying any changes at all (minus the change to Pathfinders to make it not a unit ability - this card is so good and fun for Tau we thought it a shame to not be able to keep using it!).

We're hoping to get in some more games soon - I can get back to you with more info if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven mathers
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Ha, thats great, yes any and all feedback is welcome.

Reporting stuff you think is not useful is really good.

With Rapid Response, for instance, I envisaged it would be useful in certain situations and probably useless in others - all the events are pretty situational, which is why you get 4 to choose from. This is different from the other factions where most of their events offer general utility most of the time.

But if certain events seem never to be useful over a fair number of games, it needs to be addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porter Westling
msg tools
To be clear, I like the way the Tau events are designed in conjunction with the faction power. The effects are very targeted and situational, and decently potent in those situations. We've only played the two games, but the situations for Cut Supply, Critical Strike, Evacuate, and Infiltrate all happened and the events felt good. The issue with Rapid Response and Ethereals was the situations they are designed for not really happening. Now that I'm looking at them again, I think the issue with Adaptable Tactics was it not feeling potent. This didn't really affect the overall feel because you can generally just not pick those events, but those are the ones I'd look at and the direction I'd tune them based off of our measly 2 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Franciszek
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry bu t where are racial sheets?
List of units, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porter Westling
msg tools
My bad - I totally forgot the faction sheets and starting system tiles. Those are added to the original post now. I did these first as I was learning the tools so the edits here are lower quality unfortunately...

I don't think ay of the materials in the game tell you the total number of units you're allowed to purchase of a type, so you may need to go to the faction threads to grab that info. My TTS mod should have the correct number of models of each type though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.