Subject: Peregrine Class Ship Card (FFO) - Meridian Falcon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Next up in my FFO series of ship cards, the Peregrine Class.

"Fast ship? You've never heard of the Meridian Falcon?"

Here is what is written about it, "Slightly larger than the Kepler, the Peregrine-Class Light-Bulk Transport is a premium vessel from the artisans at Bellestra Shipwrights. If you ever wondered what a Firefly might look like if it came in a sport model, Ballestra has you covered!"

This ship was named by popular vote submitted by those subscribers to Firefly Online. This was a completely original ship design and they celebrated it by allowing the FFOlks to christen her.

A few extra hold spaces compared to the Kepler class and a few extra abilities. Being fast and agile, its Drive Core is the Xunsu Whisper X1 ship upgrade from Blue Sun. That gives it a chance to evade Alliance or Reavers.

It also has a special rule for movement. Up To Speed: If you draw 2 "Big Black" Nav Cards in a row while Full Burning, you may move one extra space without drawing a Nav card. Limit once per Fly Action.

Also, while thinking of a name and realizing that Peregrine's are Falcon's and mixed with a love for (pre-Disney) Star Wars...well...I had some fun and the Meridian Falcon was born.

I'm sure the price is off somehow as I do not have the new ship calculator yet.

What else do the roving editors at large see that needs attention? Think it's a piece of junk? Hey! It's the ship that made the Kerry Run in less than twelve parsecs!

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Peregrine Class Ship Card (FFO)
Looks interesting, but I think for the lack of Cargo and storage room, it really should have more room for fuel as a trade off. What self respecting sports vehicle doesn't have a high capacity fuel cell to keep it running?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would probably price it close to the Interceptor, at 7500 or 7600.

It certainly seems playable and has the advantage of being able to get away from the NPC ships. The one concern I would have is how it would play on the table.

It's going to be hard to do Crime with a reduced Crew of 5, and the "easier" Illegal delivery jobs are going to fill up that tight Cargo Hold very quickly. I suppose it would make a good ZirCom delivery vehicle, working for Amnon Duul, whose jobs generally have 1, maybe 2 Misbehaves (somewhat risky but do-able with a 5-man crew) while filling only 2-3 slots rather than 4-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't tell you how much I really like this ship. The only reason I haven't put it on the table yet is I don't have a model for it. soblue

Love the name. Kerry Run! LOL

I don't think the drive core should be locked. One of the things about which drive cores should and shouldn't be locked, IMHO, is the physical shape of them. This ship shares the same bug butt shape as a Firefly, Sandfly, etc. and should be able to swap out cores with them. Ships like the Hanover (Walden), Thunderbird (Interceptor), and Pilgrim classes have completely different engine configurations, and shouldn't be able to swap cores with the bug butt style cores.

That said, it'd be interesting to build a Frankenstein/Ugly class ship out of spare parts. Maybe a Hanover with a Radion Accelerator welded on the back.

It has occurred to me, that in the pricing models, starting with an advanced drive core should maybe cost more than it does to buy one off the shelf - thought being, if you're starting the game already being able to go farther, Mosey twice, or avoid NPCs, that's a "huge" advantage over your bog standard Radion Accelorator, even if it costs you more. Especially when you start with a Standard Set-Up as compared to The Browncoat Way. Not sure how well that's reflected in the current pricing guidelines.

And does anyone know what this is or where I get one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I love the basic look of the card. I think you've got all the good looking components on it. Only thing I'd change (personally), is to put bevels/frames around the rest of the parts, like the ship image and Special Rules, so they look like parts of a control panel. Even doing something like putting the ship image on a piece made to look like a photograph laying casually on the control panel would be really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
That's Sean Kennedy's Olivia that he used for the adventure Blood of the Innocent. Is one of my favorite ships that he made.

http://www.seansgallery.com/pages/modules2.htm

http://www.seansgallery.com/newpics/firefly/Olivia/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Sean's stories! Somehow I missed this artwork. Wow! She's a beauty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Can't tell you how much I really like this ship. The only reason I haven't put it on the table yet is I don't have a model for it. soblue

I've been trying to get a hold of Norseknight to make two more ships. He's still around right?

Scarbuck wrote:
Love the name. Kerry Run! LOL

I "had" to do it. LOL.

Scarbuck wrote:
I don't think the drive core should be locked. One of the things about which drive cores should and shouldn't be locked, IMHO, is the physical shape of them. This ship shares the same bug butt shape as a Firefly, Sandfly, etc. and should be able to swap out cores with them. Ships like the Hanover (Walden), Thunderbird (Interceptor), and Pilgrim classes have completely different engine configurations, and shouldn't be able to swap cores with the bug butt style cores.

I never gave it a thought honestly. I had the impression that all ships besides the game fireflies had to be locked. I picked that idea up from here somewhere. After reading your thoughts, I like them. "Bug butt" ships can swap cores. LOL.

Scarbuck wrote:
And I love the basic look of the card. I think you've got all the good looking components on it. Only thing I'd change (personally), is to put bevels/frames around the rest of the parts, like the ship image and Special Rules, so they look like parts of a control panel. Even doing something like putting the ship image on a piece made to look like a photograph laying casually on the control panel would be really cool.

I'm glad to hear my skills are improving enough for someone to actually like the card. Thanks.

I'll give the bevels a try to see how she looks.

And speaking to the lack of cargo space, a faster ship can do more jobs during a game in theory. Plus, add on a cargo pod and expanded crew quarters and you have your standard firefly. Seems legit to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MUST

GET

STL FILE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JediKep wrote:

I'm glad to hear my skills are improving enough for someone to actually like the card. Thanks.

I'll give the bevels a try to see how she looks.

Try searching for 'Sci-fi frames' or 'control panels'. There are a bunch there that you can strip and use. What software are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. There are a bunch!

So, here is your 'buttons' version.

Believe it or not, I've managed all of this on Power Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have determined that whatever bits I need have already been created by someone more talented than I, and they await my arrival on the interwebs.

That looks a bunch more like a proper ship card. Nice!

We need to get you into GIMP. Right now, it's like you're building a bookshelf with a machete, a rock, and some old gum you found on the bottom of the dining room table - AND YOU DON'T CHEW GUM! Imagine what you could do if you had a hammer and a nice saw. You're doing this, with THAT... you could make some truly amazing stuff with a proper program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:

Be blue no more! NorseKnight got back to me and said that he will work on making them! Whoohoo! FFO still flyin!! *happy dance*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
I have determined that whatever bits I need have already been created by someone more talented than I, and they await my arrival on the interwebs.

That looks a bunch more like a proper ship card. Nice!

We need to get you into GIMP. Right now, it's like you're building a bookshelf with a machete, a rock, and some old gum you found on the bottom of the dining room table - AND YOU DON'T CHEW GUM! Imagine what you could do if you had a hammer and a nice saw. You're doing this, with THAT... you could make some truly amazing stuff with a proper program.

Too funny.

If you can get me a decent tutorial that doesn't sound like death warmed over or play like I'm watching a lecture on drying paint, I'm game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about tutorials. I'm self-taught. I just pic a project that I really want to do and start mashing buttons. Every once in a while, there'll be something I can't figure out how to do and I'll do a wide net search for some instructions. That's how I learned to do curved text - doing the Ship names for Star Trek.

It's pretty intuitive, the basics anyway. There's about 85-95% of the program I never touch. I think you'll pick it up pretty quick, and if you have questions, just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools

Norseknight's Peregrine is now out.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/74HYWMKYS/peregrine?option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.