Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For all the weight they add in terms of complexity they seem to get used very little for actual purchases. Are there any variant rules that have a more active bowl system for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If 2p happen to not build together than they will not be able to cycle power much due to building activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Burn" power to do things you can't normally do. Reconsider the game space this opens up. Use appropriately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
"Burn" power to do things you can't normally do. Reconsider the game space this opens up. Use appropriately...

Yeah, we'll burn 4-5 to up the cycling early on - still feels underused; We're thinking of trying cult level as power income to make things more dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JMJimmy wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Yeah, we'll burn 4-5 to up the cycling early on

That’s not what that does. Check out this thread: Understanding the Bowls of Power

You asked if it’s just you, and I wouldn’t say that, but it is a function of your skill level and play style. Play the game some more. Build near each other. Build more trading posts. You shouldn’t need to add in more power income artificially to feel like power is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JMJimmy wrote:
For all the weight they add in terms of complexity they seem to get used very little for actual purchases. Are there any variant rules that have a more active bowl system for 2 players?

You could give both players 1 or 2 power income each turn to simulate more opponents but before you try that I recommend a tighter map like this

and another house rule that works great is that you must place both your starting dwelling so that they are next to your opponents. That should give both of you more power to play with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
JMJimmy wrote:
FAV8 aka the 2 Air favor (income of +4 power) could be your friend here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
JMJimmy wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

That’s not what that does. Check out this thread: Understanding the Bowls of Power

You asked if it’s just you, and I wouldn’t say that, but it is a function of your skill level and play style. Play the game some more. Build near each other. Build more trading posts. You shouldn’t need to add in more power income artificially to feel like power is useful.

What I meant by "up the cycling" wasn't that they'll move any faster. Obviously they'll move at the same rate. The difference is that you can use a larger number earlier and as long as you stay 6 or above you'll be able to make any conversion/spend. It's either boom/bust waiting to get 12 in bowl 3 or whatever stays in bowl 2 while you spend lower amounts is dead weight. Sure it could be saved for some imaginary scenario later on but as with all economy games, early spending is a better ROI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JMJimmy wrote:
grant5 wrote:
JMJimmy wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

What I meant by "up the cycling" wasn't that they'll move any faster. Obviously they'll move at the same rate.

You say that, but if you read the other threads, it's clearly not obvious to a lot of people.

Quote:
The difference is that you can use a larger number earlier and as long as you stay 6 or above you'll be able to make any conversion/spend. It's either boom/bust waiting to get 12 in bowl 3 or whatever stays in bowl 2 while you spend lower amounts is dead weight. Sure it could be saved for some imaginary scenario later on but as with all economy games, early spending is a better ROI.

All of that is true, but I'm not sure how it relates to the phrase you used of "up the cycling."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poor choice of words in my post, not exactly sure what the correct term would be for the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe just term it "cycle earlier"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think of it, for better or for worse , in terms of how much leech is required before B3 fills up with enough power tokens for me to take the action(s) I want -- rather than the speed at which they cycle, or time it takes for them to do so. It will take a greater amount of leech for a larger number of tokens to cycle back into B3 after they have been used.

Edit: probably it is better to say "how much power income" rather than "how much leech", as leech is not the only source of power (of course! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
FAV8 aka the 2 Air favor (income of +4 power) could be your friend here.

I play TM almost exclusively 2p and this is indeed a popular choice in many of our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.