Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://woodtv.com/2018/01/20/kzoo-doctor-detained-by-ice-aft...

Lukasz Niec came to the US (legally) from Poland at three years old. he has grown up here, gone to school here and is now a medical doctor in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Last week ICE randomly came by his house and arrested him. Niec, as a teenager, had been convicted of a very minor misdemeanor and took a plea deal for first time minor offenders that would supposedly prevent him from having a criminal record. Turns out the Feds (somehow?) don't care about that. That's the part I don't understand. If the state expunged his state record, who is anyone else to say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
I read somewhere that the feds refuse to recognize the state action to expunge his record. It's stupid on oh so many levels. A textbook case for lots of people why our current immigration system is broken. I also don't get why they refuse to recognize it (sorry, I glossed over that part of your post).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
Oh WTF. See this:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1121476.html

Quote:
We agree with the DHS that the respondent has been convicted for immigration purposes.   In Matter of Devison, supra, we found that an adjudication of youthful offender status pursuant to N.Y.Crim. Pro. Law § 720 does not constitute a conviction under section 101(a)(48)(A) of the Act because it is analogous to a determination of juvenile delinquency under the Federal Juvenile Delinquency Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 50131-5042 (“FJDA”), in several ways, the most notable being that, once an individual is determined to be a youthful offender under New York law, his or her conviction is vacated.   Because the vacation of the conviction does not depend on the individual's future good behavior, we found that the adjudication is not an expungement or other rehabilitative act.   Moreover, we concluded that a youthful offender adjudication does not, in fact, fit within the scope of the definition of the term “conviction” contained in section 101(a)(48)(A) of the Act.

Basically, it's more ridiculousness embedded in the immigration act itself.

And the guy being deported is a permanent green card holder just to add insult to injury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably the best reason for a green card holder to become a citizen, along with not being able to be denied entry. Voting doesn't make much of a difference in practice, and in exchange citizens have to file in the US even if you move away, and get jury duty.

Many crimes that would carry no serious penalty to a citizen are grounds for deportation if ICE gets picky, and it's not exactly a department which is full of people who like immigrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sue_G wrote:

And the guy being deported is a permanent green card holder just to add insult to injury.

hibikir wrote:
It's probably the best reason for a green card holder to become a citizen, along with not being able to be denied entry. Voting doesn't make much of a difference in practice, and in exchange citizens have to file in the US even if you move away, and get jury duty.

Many crimes that would carry no serious penalty to a citizen are grounds for deportation if ICE gets picky, and it's not exactly a department which is full of people who like immigrants.

Yeah.... Been reading a bunch today about this guy...

And yeah, this is the sort of thing that's giving me second thoughts about not becoming a US citizen yet. I don't exactly want to pledge to give up UK citzenship (even if it's unenforced, currently), but that finally taking up citizenship may be the better thing to do legally for my family.

Feck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:

And yeah, this is the sort of thing that's giving me second thoughts about not becoming a US citizen yet. I don't exactly want to pledge to give up UK citzenship (even if it's unenforced, currently), but that finally taking up citizenship may be the better thing to do legally for my family.

Feck.

Check with the British embassy or a consulate. I know the US asks new citizens to renounce previous citizenships. But not all countries recognize that concept of renouncing citizenship; my mum became an American citizen and the UK still consider her to be a citizen, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fenners wrote:

It's not just "currently unenforced". The Supreme Court has held that it is legally unenforceable (Afroyim v. Rusk (1967)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not why they picked him up.

They needed a token white guy on the books so they don't look racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could say this is evidence of the continuing decline of the USA. But unfortunately there are equally crass - no, let's not pussyfoot around, downright despicable - decisions being made here. I'm sure like you only the most extreme, crazy, cases get reported (and those sometimes get fixed when they become politically embarrassing). But utterly crazy cases (doctors are in short supply, can we have him if you don't want him, please?) are just the tip of an iceberg of misery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Oh WTF. See this:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1121476.html

Quote:
We agree with the DHS that the respondent has been convicted for immigration purposes.   In Matter of Devison, supra, we found that an adjudication of youthful offender status pursuant to N.Y.Crim. Pro. Law § 720 does not constitute a conviction under section 101(a)(48)(A) of the Act because it is analogous to a determination of juvenile delinquency under the Federal Juvenile Delinquency Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 50131-5042 (“FJDA”), in several ways, the most notable being that, once an individual is determined to be a youthful offender under New York law, his or her conviction is vacated.   Because the vacation of the conviction does not depend on the individual's future good behavior, we found that the adjudication is not an expungement or other rehabilitative act.   Moreover, we concluded that a youthful offender adjudication does not, in fact, fit within the scope of the definition of the term “conviction” contained in section 101(a)(48)(A) of the Act.

Basically, it's more ridiculousness embedded in the immigration act itself.

Oh but they are only going after the "bad hombres". Isn't that what we were told?. It appears that those in charge of ICE thought Inspector Javert was the hero of Les Miserables. What a bunch of miserable excuses for human beings they are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Obviously, this guy is a dark-skinned radicalized Muslim snuck into the country to slaughter infidels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I don't get, even if this guy is deportable, how does HE end up being low hanging fruit for ICE? If our country is riddled with welfare stealing, drug dealing, physical assaulting illegal immigrants stealing our jobs left and right, how does a successful doctor get on the radar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
What I don't get, even if this guy is deportable, how does HE end up being low hanging fruit for ICE? If our country is riddled with welfare stealing, drug dealing, physical assaulting illegal immigrants stealing our jobs left and right, how does a successful doctor get on the radar?

It's because the culture at ICE is so disgusting, toxic, and opposed to what the US is supposed to stand for that it defies words.

Edit: I really can't express how much any of these ICE stories disgust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Do you just not know any authoritarian types, Chin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Do you just not know any authoritarian types, Chin?
Sounds like someone should start gifting them free pizza's with at least one special topping
http://www.psypost.org/2018/01/psychedelic-mushrooms-reduce-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgusting.

Probably the trickle-down effect of having a massively racist and bigoted President.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Probably the trickle-down effect of having a massively racist and bigoted President.

It's probably more the releasing of brakes. Someone in the chain of command will get a bonus (or a promotion) the more people are deported, and pressure (or smaller bonuses) will then apply down the chain to keep numbers up. If there's no sanity/humanity check (both of which fail here) on the process, that's what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is yet another example of why today's "We'll give 1.8 million people a path to citizenship if you give us 25 billion to start the wall" proposal from the White House should be rejected. That proposal calls for people who've already been here decades to wait 10-12 years "with requirements for work, education, and good moral character." Yeah fucking right, and have ICE pick them up in 9 years for a few speeding tickets or some other petty bullshit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.