Subject: Train Expansion Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shorts
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Alright, entertain this expansion pipe dream with me for a moment...
You have two towns set about 6 spaces away from each other with a train track connecting both of them. A train mini sits on one of them. When miners deposit their gold, they get their cash and LP as normal, but the gold goes onto the train(there is a train car mini that can actually hold them).When 8 or more gold have been deposited, the train leaves station, moving one space per player turn(it would move during the final resolution stage of every players turn, so it would take six turns to reach the other town’s station).
While traveling, the train could be attacked by any players and defended by an NPC Guard. If successful, the players would earn 3 Wanted points and half the gold on the train.
When the train arrives into station, any Marshal or neutral player who is at the station splits whatever is left on board, where each gold piece is worth $20. Uneven splits are rounded down.
Then, the train sits at that station waiting to be filled up with gold once again.
Gold may only be deposited at the station/bank where the train sits.

Open to ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have an interesting idea but here's my one problem with it.

Currently there are three ways to gain Wanted points and three ways to gain Marshal points without using special cards.

No conflict: wrangle/rustle cattle
NPC combat: fight bandits/rob bank
PvP: Rob/Arrest another player

If there a fourth way to gain Wanted points, there needs to be an equivalent fourth way to gain Marshal points or the game is skewed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of adding train robbery to this game is very interesting. It would add another sandbox layer to this game which fits into the theme perfectly.

It could be a story card that activates this, not every game but it might happen.

On how to balance this idea in ways of rewards, I have no input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

Currently there are three ways to gain Wanted points and three ways to gain Marshal points without using special cards.

If there a fourth way to gain Wanted points, there needs to be an equivalent fourth way to gain Marshal points or the game is skewed.

It is thematically obvious that marshals would want the train to arrive at its destination without being robbed of any gold. Perhaps there is a way for marshal players to gain MP if that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd spend time riding the choo choo for marshal points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A train track that ran all the way around the border of the board that could be robbed or ridden as a way to get quickly across the board could be fun. Sort of a "fast travel" way to avoid the sheriff or coming near the towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Train Expansion Idea
blacktrain bluetrain greentrain Let's see...

Map with train track on it. thumbsup Check.

Mechanic in game for robbing places. thumbsup Check.

Access to a 3D printer. thumbsup Check.

Yeah. This is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

You point out an amazing aspect of the game I think people are only just starting to realize - the amount of thought and planning that has gone in to assuring that the game is very precisely balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

You point out an amazing aspect of the game I think people are only just starting to realize - the amount of thought and planning that has gone in to assuring that the game is very precisely balanced.

Exactly. I know people love coming up with variants and I'm sure we will see some clever ones. With the open ended approach to this game, it's natural that people will try to add options. But I think the first question people need to ask before they post them is "How does this affect the Marshal/Wanted tracks?" because anything that aids one or penalizes one is actually going to interfere with the freedom and balance of the game as one track is favored and the other is avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

It is thematically obvious that marshals would want the train to arrive at its destination without being robbed of any gold. Perhaps there is a way for marshal players to gain MP if that happens.

So, it seems like the Wanted players "set the pace" of the game by ticking up LP every turn, while Marshalls have to take action to stop them, while slowly progressing on their track.

What if a train worked the same way -- it will generate a benefit for a wanted player, unless a Marshall takes action to stop it?

Instead of thematically robbing a train (moving into a train space, fighting, getting a Wanted point, and collecting money) which is really not functionally different from the bank at the moment other than the possibility that the space can move around the board... what if it was the opposite.

Imagine a space that moves in a cycle around the board. A wanted player could interact with the space to thematically load it with contraband. Maybe they could deposit money, or gold, or poker cards onto it. It would then travel automatically each turn and whenever it took a cycle or maybe just passed back and forth between two points it would double or increase in some way the loot that was deposited on it and generate wanted points for the players who utilized it. This creates a pretty passive way to multiply income or cycle poker cards or generate wanted points. Less combat heavy for sure.

Marshal players on the other hand have the opportunity to intercept this contraband on its way to its destination. This could potentially be similar to a bank robbery where you duel with a "guard" on the train and try to stop it. If you are successful you collect a Marshall point and cause the Wanted player to lose their investment.

And for all players maybe the ends of the train spaces like I said could be sort of a fast travel thing where if you end your turn on one end you can start your next turn on the other side. Maybe it'd still need some way to generate LP for neutral players -- I don't know.

Of course this is all 100% theorycrafting based off of never playing the game but what else am I going to do for 7 months but theorycraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.