Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the Metro Detroit Gamers Wintercon-February 24 2018-No Ship Math Trade.

If you have any questions about the trade or how a math trade works, or want to discuss anything pertaining to the trade, please feel free to post here.

To participate in this Math Trade you MUST be an attendee of Wintercon, and be able to be present during the trade execution on February 24th.

Dates
- Submissions close: Sunday, February 11th, 2018, 8:00 PM EST
- Wants due: Sunday, February 18th, 2018, 8:00 PM EST
- Results posted: As soon as I can after close
- Trade Execution: February 24th, time and place TBD

Request List (to request items that you would like to see people list in the math trade): Metro Detroit Gamers Wintercon-February 24 2018-No Ship Math Trade (WISHLIST)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, there is currently an issue with the OLWLG. It shouldn't impact us in any real sense because we use the geeklist to add items; it just means that I can't resync it at the moment.

I'd expect to have it resolved this weekend, or Monday at the latest. The OLWLG creator is aware of it and suspects he knows the issue, but needs the owner of the server to actually fix it.

I'll update when I see something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist is locked, final re-sync performed, want submissions are open.

Let me know if there are any difficulties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent in my wants with no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Wood and sheep for penguin bomber?
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you'll run a test sometime Saturday to see what the trade count is looking like?

I haven't participated in your Math Trades before, so I apologize for the ignorance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asketes wrote:
Any chance you'll run a test sometime Saturday to see what the trade count is looking like?

I haven't participated in your Math Trades before, so I apologize for the ignorance.

I certainly could, and don't mind doing so. I'll just check with the Con organizer to see if he has a preference one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With just under three hours remaining, we have two users that haven't submitted their wants yet.

That being said, we have 11 of the 12 users who HAVE submitted with a trade, and about 28% of all items trading.

Now, just as a word of warning, I saw that the BGG is spitting up an error right now. I'm not sure if that will be rectified by the time this trade is scheduled to close; if not, obviously I can't close it if I can't access the OLWLG.

If it's not available at the time of closing, I'm unfortunately going to be unable to try to close it again until around 11pm or so EST. I have an engagement this evening that I pushed back to be able to be home for the closing time, and I unfortunately can't stick around if it's not ready then otherwise I'll be late to that.

Hopefully it'l all work out though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are up!

71 total traded items (28.3%)
All 11 users who submitted wants have at least 1 trade.

Please visit the OLWLG to see the results so you know what to bring and what you are getting!

Let me know if anything has any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many trades!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Beaumont
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
I have a Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers tile tattoo !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asketes wrote:
So many trades!

yes very very cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent trade requests to 6 of my 8 trading partners.
Communication sent to the other 2 in order to get their game(s) into BGG and on the trade list.

P.S. I live near Dragonmeade (Warren) and work in downtown Detroit. If anyone wants to meet up early feel free to send me a message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asketes wrote:
Communication sent to the other 2 in order to get their game(s) into BGG and on the trade list.

P.S. I live near Dragonmeade (Warren) and work in downtown Detroit. If anyone wants to meet up early feel free to send me a message.

As this is my first math trade, I am confused as to why you did this. I thought we exchange all of the games at WinterCon, and that is it. You send me a trade request of 1 of your games for 3 of mine. While that may be the end result of what is going to happen, I am not sure if that is how it works. Unless I mised something, I thought all of the games traded 1 for 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world of Math Trades!

So a few things:
d10-1 Games are indeed a 1 to 1 trade, but not always to the same person.
Example: I'm giving you one of my games and receiving 3 from you, yes. ...but I am giving 2 other games to people who are giving me nothing, they gave their game to some else. That's the beauty of the math trade; it facilitates trades when a direct 1 to 1 trade would never happen.

Perhaps you want my game "X" and have game "Y" to trade. Well you don't like game "Y" but your buddy does! He has game "Z" to trade. So I give you game "X", you give your buddy game "Y" and your buddy gives me game "Z". ..it's just a hugely intricate version of round robin.

d10-2 The trade requests help track who you are giving games to and to facilitate a feedback loop. (i.e. positive/negative feedback for fellow bgg users).

d10-3 WinterCon is definitely the official trading spot, but I don't see anything wrong with meeting up early with your traders. When one trades upwards of 30-45 games, doing a few early can make the process a little easier. With me alone I have a total of 28 games changing hands. The one I did at GenCon had something like 60! haha

esquire468 wrote:
asketes wrote:

As this is my first math trade, I am confused as to why you did this. I thought we exchange all of the games at WinterCon, and that is it. You send me a trade request of 1 of your games for 3 of mine. While that may be the end result of what is going to happen, I am not sure if that is how it works. Unless I mised something, I thought all of the games traded 1 for 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esquire468 wrote:
asketes wrote:

As was said, it's really a series of one-sided trades. In this case, you happen to be sending 3 one-sided trades to him, and get 1 back. I haven't looked, but it's also possible that the 1 you are getting from him isn't even in exchange for one of the 3 you are giving him.

And yes, I highly recommend using the trade feature in BGG. It's certainly not necessary in any way for the trade at the Con, BUT it is a good way to build up a bit of a trade rating if you don't already have one on here, and that'll help if you ever want to do trading aside from at a Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

- Trade Execution: February 24th, time and place TBD

As the time approaches, have these details been decided yet?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be from 2-3PM; either in the lobby in front of the Banquet Halls, or in an area just inside the banquet halls. Preference would be for traders (the 11 of us) to meet right about 2, as the trade should not take long at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Beaumont
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
I have a Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers tile tattoo !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I wasn't able to make it out there from Ann Arbor today, very sorry. I will ship the games that I owe you at my expense or I can have them for you at the Loaded Die this Monday, whatever is easiest for you. I will also pickup my games whenever is convenient for you, no urgency.

apologies again!

-James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.