Subject: Trap Travesty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, our group is hoping to get the TT kit in time to play next month. Just wondering what strategies everyone has been using. I've been hearing about people playing it both ways: ignoring the mission completely, and just doing a joust; and playing to the mission.

Looking at the mission, I see four keys things to build towards:
Action economy for disarming traps
High agility, like cloak for disarming traps
Obstacle mitigation to avoid the attack die and keep actions (can include maneuverability)
High HP or easy repairs to mitigate trap damage (would also be nice to mitigate aux tokens)

To me, that's too much to try and built towards all at once. So I'm thinking about keeping it to just too. Leaning towards a cloaking, action economy fleet.

What else has everyone tried?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My experience was that with cloaking, you almost never miss a roll to disarm a trap, and if you place your traps properly, you should be able to disarm them on the first turn when the enemy is out of range, so I wouldn't consider action economy to be too critical to this mission (if you have a Romulan Spy to start your fleet out cloaked).

You don't have to deviate too far from a standard fleet if you include cloaking. If you can fit four ships in your fleet, that would be good, but it's still doable with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a question that's come up in our group:

When removing a disarmed trap, do it leave the game, or does it get placed back on the field according to the trap placement rules on your half of the map?

The language isn't clear, and can be read either way as it uses the term play area for both this and initial set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Traps that are disarmed or triggered are removed from the map. They don't come back into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's what makes the most sense, and how we're going to play it.

But, I did kind of like the idea of rearming traps on your side of the board. Hopefully in your opponent's way post joust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, Trap Travesty turned out to be a lot of fun.

Used a mixed Klingon/Romulan fleet. Cloaking sure made it easy for me to disarm traps. But, I felt sorry for my opponent in my first match. He had a cloaked ship and twice didn't roll any evades when trying to disarm traps. So he had to take the damage from them.

I used K'mpec's Attack Cruiser to spread battlestations around, and Romulan Spy to cloak at the start of the game and disarm traps in round 1. And Martok to pass around disarm actions.

Also learned that Torpedo Fusillade is a great weapon, and works well against Conditional Surrender. It can force your opponent to burn it to avoid an attack, but your attack isn't wasted as Fusillade will still fire at the other ships.

Also had Kolo on the Belak with Interphase because I'm a jerk In my first two matches, it ended up helping to keep the K'mec's and the Scimitar relatively damage free.

Ended up going 2-1. Made some costly mistakes in the last match against an opponent with the new Fed torpedoes on the Enterprise-E (lethal combo) and consistently good quality. I did have a chance to retake the lead at the end, but Stunned Helmsman screwed that up. Also, it's no fun going up against the new Sutherland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.