Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was me trying to start a forum and failing. If you want to see the forum go to. Thanks to all those who helped me find my way.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf

Otherwise disregard this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why it's on My Shelf #1 - 13 Days
I don't know anything about this game but I like your idea for this series of posts. I'm sure I'll have more input for some of the others. Biblios is probably our favourite game for the timeframe you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As much as I can admire Twilight Struggle, it's too long for me - and 13 days hits the spot really sweetly for what I like about that game. The theme is cool, I like the mechanics with the defcon track, which really creates the whole cat and mouse thing that fits a Cold War game so well. I think it actually looks really good too. The events are a little arbitrary, they don't really create a narrative, but, it's a half hour game so that's alright.

But

It's not on my shelf because I know it's unlikely to get played.

It was in my vassal library though and I played a bit of it, I enjoyed it (and the vassal module is really really nice). So that's where it will stay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Biblios about 2 years ago when I was very young in my gaming hobbyist career. And it didn't do it for me at the time. Some of that could be due to me playing it two player with my wife. I traded it. But ever since then I have regretted trading it, and always have wanted to give it a few more plays. I loved the theme, and the mechanics now seem much more appealing. Maybe one day someone will pull Biblios out and I can have another crack at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions for the proposed series ...

Include an image of, and a link to, each game in each entry, to promote the game.

Consider building it as a geeklist, and maintaining a thread in general to announce new entries. Images and links built right in, and all your thoughts, and those of others, collected by game, in one spot.

Alt, consider creating a thread in each game forum, and linking to each of those from a thread in general. Leads more readers to the game's forum and fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing CasualCasual. What is the Vassal Library. I think I might have did something with it a while ago. Here is a response to someone in another forum that I did talking about a similar subject matter with Twilight Struggle, and to elaborate on why I can't get the game to the table.

I will get to Twilight Struggle later on in my "Why it's on my Shelf" series, but let me just say right now it's the one game that I have played multiple times, mostly on the app, and have no more of a clue of what I am doing than the first time. It's almost chess like in that there are certain openings and objectives you just about have to follow to succeed. I honestly cannot put that amount of plays into a three hour game. And besides the theme, I don't really love it that much to invest in it.

13 Days is a 30 minute light version of Twilight Struggle, that gives me the theme with a much more manageable strategy. The reason why this game has not been a success for my wife I believe is because there is a certain bluffing and misdirection to this game that both players have to be in tune with for this one to be competitive enough to be fun. I am usually able to glean from the rulebook certain nuances and strategies like in this game. My wife does not read rule books. And let me just stop and say my wife is awesome. Boardgaming is not her hobby, and yet I get her to play between 4-10 games a week with me. We're talking middle weight games. I'm thankful for her sacrifice and don't want you to think my wife is a problem. She's just mostly who I get to play games with, so I have to make decisions primarily off getting to play games with her.

But back to what I'm saying, there are certain games that you try and teach someone, and without them understanding the nuances, the game can be a bust the first couple of times. This is one of those in my opinion. If you don't see the real meat of the game being misdirection then this game will feel quite meh. And if the other player is not giving you misdirection to work through yourself you will probably find it meh as well. This one needs a couple of plays for that to develop and turn into a good light game that comes off the shelf once a month. I definitely think this is a good one for its time frame. And I think I still have a chance to bring this one back. I've just been giving 13 Days and my wife a little space for a while. Not a huge loss, I have 100 other phenomenal games to hold us over. It's getting close to time to bring it out again I do believe though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
What is the Vassal Library. I think I might have did something with it a while ago.

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Online engine for playing board games digitally. Awesome in that it is user supported and crowdsourced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Suggestions for the proposed series ...

Include an image of, and a link to, each game in each entry, to promote the game.

Consider building it as a geeklist, and maintaining a thread in general to announce new entries. Images and links built right in, and all your thoughts, and those of others, collected by game, in one spot.

Alt, consider creating a thread in each game forum, and linking to each of those from a thread in general. Leads more readers to the game's forum and fans.

Thanks for the info, can you explain what a geeklist is and what they are used for? I've been on BGG for a while but there are just certain aspects I have not tapped into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright I set up the Geeklist aesthetocyst. Now can you explain linking threads and also your point on maintaining a thread to advertise new posts?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/item/5911736#item5...

Is this what you were talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I would copy and paste your original post in this thread into the first item on the geeklist(about 13 days).

Then people can comment under it.

Whenever you add a new item, then you can update this thread so that people are reminded to have a look at the new item in the geeklist, as the thread will bump up onto the first page of the forum again.

I'd edit your original post in this thread to have a link to the new geeklist, just so people don't have to scroll down.

And I'd put a link to this thread in the geeklist description as well, in case people want to have a look and subcribe to this thread rather than subscribing to the geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still pretty noobish myself, see what casual said. I think your idea is great, and I also think you'll find it easier to manage as a list. Easier for others to find as well. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
I'm still pretty noobish myself, see what casual said. I think your idea is great, and I also think you'll find it easier to manage as a list. Easier for others to find as well. Good luck!

Thnaks guys. I'm going to do some more work on it tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why it's on My Shelf
casualcasual wrote:
So, I would copy and paste your original post in this thread into the first item on the geeklist(about 13 days).

Then people can comment under it.

Whenever you add a new item, then you can update this thread so that people are reminded to have a look at the new item in the geeklist, as the thread will bump up onto the first page of the forum again.

I'd edit your original post in this thread to have a link to the new geeklist, just so people don't have to scroll down.

And I'd put a link to this thread in the geeklist description as well, in case people want to have a look and subcribe to this thread rather than subscribing to the geeklist.

So I just changed the first post to a generic post. How do I create new threads in the same thread so I can link them in the Geeklist and not continue to have separate entries in the general gaming forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make each item on the geeklist a link to the actual game you're talking about, not a separate thread for each entry.

Add item -> board game -> 13 days

In the description, type what you put in the OP of the thread you made about it.

Repeat for every game.

That way you don't flood the general forum with a hundred threads about this, and you also collect all of the information in one nice, easy to read place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Just make each item on the geeklist a link to the actual game you're talking about, not a separate thread for each entry.

In the description, type what you put in the OP of the thread you made about it.

Repeat for every game.

That way you don't flood the general forum with a hundred threads about this, and you also collect all of the information in one nice, easy to read place.

Understood. Then I just make a comment in my original forum telling folks that I have just uploaded the next game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think so. Subscribed and thumb'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right.

Now you just need to copy and paste your descriptions that you'd written already directly into the geeklist by editing each game entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Repeat for every game.

Understood. Then I just make a comment in my original forum telling folks that I have just uploaded the next game?

If someone subscribes to your geeklist, they'll get notifications whenever you add a new item to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
That's right.

Finally got it. I'm recreating the items in my geeklist as boardgames instead of threads and cleaning up the mess. I really appreciate all the help! Took me a while but I'm ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good idea and I'm looking forward to reading the entries.

As Jacob said, if people subscribe to your geeklist, they'll get notified - but it's still worth posting in this thread whenever you put in a new entry so that you get new readers as you go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.