Hide
5 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Variants

Subject: Adding Throwing Daggers to Filch's starting equipment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
This gives Filch the interesting option of being both melee and ranged right out of the box.

The art on Filch's card shows him with two daggers, I believe that he's the only character whose equipment in his picture doesn't match his starting equipment.

This makes it much more likely that Filch can get a third dagger/knife as his carryover item and make it worthwhile to grab the Knife Strike ability (which is otherwise entirely subpar compared to Energy Rush).

Stylistically I feel that this makes a strong incentive to actually play out Filch's particular affinity for knives and daggers while in most other games it seems that his dagger becomes a mostly an afterthought.

Yes, I know that Filch is already a powerhouse of a character, so if I were doing this for adult players I might consider balancing it out a bit by changing Filch's Pilfer ability so that when he kills a rat he can either remove a cheese from the wheel OR add a cheese to his stash (but not move a cheese from the wheel to his stash).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lennox_MacDuff wrote:
This gives Filch the interesting option of being both melee and ranged right out of the box.

The art on Filch's card shows him with two daggers, I believe that he's the only character whose equipment in his picture doesn't match his starting equipment.

This makes it much more likely that Filch can get a third dagger/knife as his carryover item and make it worthwhile to grab the Knife Strike ability (which is otherwise entirely subpar compared to Energy Rush).

Stylistically I feel that this makes a strong incentive to actually play out Filch's particular affinity for knives and daggers while in most other games it seems that his dagger becomes a mostly an afterthought.

Yes, I know that Filch is already a powerhouse of a character, so if I were doing this for adult players I might consider balancing it out a bit by changing Filch's Pilfer ability so that when he kills a rat he can either remove a cheese from the wheel OR add a cheese to his stash (but not move a cheese from the wheel to his stash).

Actually his ability to hold a dagger with his tail is what is being showcased on his character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Other suggestions for toning this down could be to

-replace the starting equipment dagger with the throwing dagger
-Adding (or substituting) the throwing dagger as 'starting equipment' only once the knife strike skill is gained, thus keeping Lily as the main ranged starting mouse.

Having an advanced dagger retained and a throwing dagger as standard would still give a lot of flexibility later in the campaign

Just a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
TheRubexCube wrote:
Actually his ability to hold a dagger with his tail is what is being showcased on his character card.

It might be what is being showcased, but he still has two daggers on the card, making him the only character whose art doesn't really match their starting equipment as far as I can recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lennox_MacDuff wrote:
It might be what is being showcased, but he still has two daggers on the card, making him the only character whose art doesn't really match their starting equipment as far as I can recall.

Well FWIW, Maginos doesn't start with Meeps either.
(Tilda also doesn't really look like she's wearing a breastplate under her clothes.)

In regards to your supposed houserule: thematically I like it, but I already think Filch is a bit too good the way he is now. I already use the houserule that Pilfer is a choice for that reason. Giving him a ranged weapon at the start would really be too much I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.