Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Monsterfigures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all.
What do you think about the plastic minitures?
I think they are awful. We never use those during play, instead we play with the cardboard monsters.

What are your opinions? Anyone using other better looking minitures?

Happy gaming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tattersall
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Mixed; quite good investigators (some better than others) and some quite good monsters, but some monsters embarrassingly poor (witches, ghosts, Child of Dagon). The game is not cheap and FFG should have put resources into improving the minis from the first edition. They compare unfavourably with competitors (and the investigators are not even as well-sculpted as those in Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feffe wrote:
We never use those during play, instead we play with the cardboard monsters.


+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
mark tattersall wrote:
Mixed; quite good investigators (some better than others) and some quite good monsters, but some monsters embarrassingly poor (witches, ghosts, Child of Dagon). The game is not cheap and FFG should have put resources into improving the minis from the first edition. They compare unfavourably with competitors (and the investigators are not even as well-sculpted as those in Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu).


Yes, it´s a shame really that they didn´t put more efforts into the sculpts. All other components (in most FFG games) are really high quality stuff. Maybe I will do some basic paintjob on the minis and see how that works. I probably must "re-base" them as well...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with them. Had to rebase the monsters to clear bases, though..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StaggerLee wrote:
Feffe wrote:
We never use those during play, instead we play with the cardboard monsters.


+1


+2
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that most of them are pretty meh, but with a simple paintjob they are ok and adds much more (for me) than the cardboard. And if I were to use the cardboard I would have to use the standees from Eldrich or something similar because I would not care to mix plastic minis with cardboard...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We like the minis well enough to use them. They're not top-notch in terms of quality, but they're far more evocative than using cardboard tokens would be IMO.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them, because I painted them. They are a considerable step down in quality though compared to say descent or imperial assualt. Not sure why they don’t have matching quality. Probably because they are cutting cost and just using the already existing arkham horror minis
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
StaggerLee wrote:
Feffe wrote:
We never use those during play, instead we play with the cardboard monsters.


+1


+2


+3

I rebased my monsters, but they are in a second box I always “forget” to pull out when playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
There's a noticeable improvement in the quality of the miniatures in the Streets of Arkham expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
tlloyd wrote:
There's a noticeable improvement in the quality of the miniatures in the Streets of Arkham expansion.


I thought Beyond the Threshold was a step up too.

I could never play with just tokens, so I'm painting and rebasing to make things more presentable. A lot of the minis are fine. Serviceable. I may throw out some though. The zombies are awful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
All painted and used in every game, would not play this game without them. I won't even play Eldritch Horror without the minis replacing the chits. I thought they were pretty good, some have a little too much mold seam, but that is easy to fix.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheri P.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avid Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the minis to much, they aren't the best but I prefer them over cardboard. I do plan to paint them eventually. The bases however are horrible and I plan to replace them after I get the minis painted.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkitty wrote:
We like the minis well enough to use them. They're not top-notch in terms of quality, but they're far more evocative than using cardboard tokens would be IMO.


+1

In general, this is not the first thread about this topic and I always found the opinions about that pretty mixed.

mark tattersall wrote:
Mixed; quite good investigators (some better than others) and some quite good monsters, but some monsters embarrassingly poor (witches, ghosts, Child of Dagon).

What you got against the ghosts? I think they have a pretty expressive stance and look quite detailed. And then you left out the horrible zombie minis from the first edition!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, I´m sure this has been brought up before. I´m new to the game after playing Arkam Horror for several years.
I´m considering painting. Maybe just a basic treatment on most of the minis and perhaps do some more representative job on the larger monsters.
Thanks for the inputs!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tattersall
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Anduin wrote:
pkitty wrote:
We like the minis well enough to use them. They're not top-notch in terms of quality, but they're far more evocative than using cardboard tokens would be IMO.


+1

In general, this is not the first thread about this topic and I always found the opinions about that pretty mixed.

mark tattersall wrote:
Mixed; quite good investigators (some better than others) and some quite good monsters, but some monsters embarrassingly poor (witches, ghosts, Child of Dagon).

What you got against the ghosts? I think they have a pretty expressive stance and look quite detailed. And then you left out the horrible zombie minis from the first edition!


Agreed; I'd forgotten how bad the zombies are (but the ghosts are still awful (no imagination shown in the sculpts)).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, also forgot about the zombies... they are so ridiculously bad shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
Yeah, also forgot about the zombies... they are so ridiculously bad shake

Agreed!

But several of the figures are great.
I really like the Dark Young, the Dunwich Horror, the new monsters from Streets and so on.

It's very much a mixed bag of great and terrible.

I can't understand why FFG did not for 2nd ed bother to redo the hello-there hand waving zombies and the clichéd Marlow's ghosts!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feffe wrote:
Yeah, I´m sure this has been brought up before. I´m new to the game after playing Arkam Horror for several years.
I´m considering painting. Maybe just a basic treatment on most of the minis and perhaps do some more representative job on the larger monsters.
Thanks for the inputs!

Yes, painting is definitely a good idea. I painted all of mine and that makes them look really cool. Though, admittedly, any bad miniature can look quite decent with a little splash of color.

If you don't want to put a lot of work into that, I recently saw a great technique - painting them monochromatic, like in a black/white movie. I think this is quite fitting.
Explained in this thread: Quick greyscale painting and rebasing miniatures guide
Here is a picture - credits to user:
S Woltkamp-Moon
United Kingdom
Plaistow
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I picked up some zombicide zombies off Ebay. They are a perfect size match. Certain ones look less "modern" and with the right paint scheme I think they'll blend in with the other miniatures pretty well. I got a whole tray, so the plan is to base some individually and then do a big group/horde. I'll take a couple photos of mine next to investigators. This is just a photo I grabbed off pinterest:


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Ok, here we go. A few more photos showing the zombicide zombies next to mansions of madness investigators. Pretty darn close for scale.





I'm in the process of painting everything, my first foray into miniature painting!



Here they are next to the MoM zombies. I did the hot water trick and re-posed them so they weren't just waving hello.





2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a bit of effort they can be improved.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
Madazam wrote:
StaggerLee wrote:
Feffe wrote:
We never use those during play, instead we play with the cardboard monsters.


+1


+2


+3

I rebased my monsters, but they are in a second box I always “forget” to pull out when playing.


+4

The amount of space the bases will take up for storage over time will be ridiculous. Here’s all of the monsters alphabetized and in small boxes. I even thought about using FFG plastic stands for the tokens and skip the minis altogether.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Anduin wrote:
Feffe wrote:
Yeah, I´m sure this has been brought up before. I´m new to the game after playing Arkam Horror for several years.
I´m considering painting. Maybe just a basic treatment on most of the minis and perhaps do some more representative job on the larger monsters.
Thanks for the inputs!

Yes, painting is definitely a good idea. I painted all of mine and that makes them look really cool. Though, admittedly, any bad miniature can look quite decent with a little splash of color.

If you don't want to put a lot of work into that, I recently saw a great technique - painting them monochromatic, like in a black/white movie. I think this is quite fitting.
Explained in this thread: Quick greyscale painting and rebasing miniatures guide
Here is a picture - credits to user:
S Woltkamp-Moon
United Kingdom
Plaistow
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb




Thanks. Yes I saw those and I think it´s a good and easy way to enhance the miniatures. I used to paint more seriously way back, but I don´t think I will go all in like that again , so this is a great idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.