Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Six silk for 14 points and 6 pepper for 12 points seem very much and not that hard to get (One black die and the pepper is obtainable in one round). I know you get nothing else except the points, but especially in the last round this does not seem to matter much.
In the few games I played so far these contracts felt very powerful compared to the ones from the main game.
What do you think about the new contracts? Do you remove them from the pile when playing only the core game?

(for reference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Goszczyński
msg tools
I've done them 1-3 times during my plays. I would say they are a nice addition since it makes more players race for the contracts.

I don't think they are OP, basically the abbility to get points is increased overall with the expansion, so this is just another way to get them faster.

Keep in mind that spending that much dice on one action is not preferable, for me the best tactic is to get as much resources as possible from small and big town bonuses since they usually give You more per dice (I hate spending three dice just to get gold - I used this space only for the 5 pip action basically).

So I'm usually focused on reaching all the towns and palaces I want and if by accident I am able to snag one of those contracts and finish them by the end of the game I get a nice surge of points. If not it gives for the other players that are not traveling more points to grab and I think it levels those tactics more even in my opinion. I would have to go the "do-only-contracts" tactic to see If it makes it much better, but so far I always outplayed my wife when she was going this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip R
msg tools
Great if you want efficient use of your die, don't have to visit the contract market as often. Bad if you're racing for most contracts as you're spending two smaller contract's worth of resources.

As you mentioned very high utility in the last round, earlier in the game much less useful. I would hate to get this as a contract drop (say as Matteo or a red city bonus) early in the game. All the more reason to be first going into the last round so you can be first in the contract market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, they twist and put the game really close to the imbalance. In a couple of games, a friend being the 1st player, managed to grab and complete a couple of this contracts for aroundish 25 points. It was impossible to follow him.

We have decided to limit the number of these contracts per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pepper one seems overpowered to me, haven't played it yet so we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Bryan
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played once with the expansion so I cant' fully conclude yet. But from one gameplay, I do see that there can be an imbalance with those accessible high scoring contracts. In our game, the player that won was Mercator ex Tabriz. I dont' know how it has come out for any of you, but so far he remains as the only undefeated character in our games. The player was lucky enough that the first accessible card on the map was the city card that gives you money x 2 based on the dice value. With getting resources from anyone going to the market (which obviously always happen) and an easy way to get money, he was able to move enough on the map plus build a lot of contracts. Luck of the draw allowed him to get both of these high scoring contracts and with his ability it was just too easy for him to fulfill them. Scoring those just made him unreachable to the point that the second player ended 21 pts behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.