BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Finished playing the Top 100 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Some time around the end of 2016, I decided to expand my playcount to include every game in the Board Game Geek Top 100. This is a quick write-up of that experience.

1 Background

I've been playing games since the mid 90s. When I began logging my plays on BGG in 2013, I had only played 10 of the Top 100: Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Le Havre, 7 Wonders, Caylus, Dominant Species, El Grande, Pandemic, Chaos in the Old World, Cosmic Encounter, Dominion, and Jaipur.

By 2016, that count was up to 47. I like to learn new games. So, I figured, how hard could it be to play 53 more?

2 The rules

No personal challenge would be complete without a set of arbitrary and capricious rules - we are board gamers, after all. My rules were simple:
- try every game that is on or enters the Top 100, until I decide to stop
- play only genuine physical copies; no online or printed versions
- no solo plays; I had to find someone willing to try each one with me
- play the correct edition, and - if more than one edition is on the list - play them all

3 The tools

I set up a few spreadsheets to keep track of my progress, what games I needed to find, and leads on where I might find them. As new games entered the Top 100 I added them to the list. I also created a secret Facebook group and added everyone who was interested in helping me out. Some games were sourced from Board Game Rentals or the Board Games By the Bay conventions, but most came from generous fellow gamers.

4 The crew

The Auckland North Shore board gaming group has a great range of players: old school gamers and novelty seekers; heavy Euro lovers and themed game fans; casual gaming enthusiasts and dedicated wargamers. Many of them volunteered their time and games to the effort.

I ended up borrowing games from or playing games with dozens of different players. Too many to list here, but I wanted to offer special thanks to the following:
-Shane, for heaps of support, and especially for introducing me to all those themed games (Star Wars: Rebellion, Lord of the Rings: The Card Game; War of the Ring...)
-Alistair, for that insane game of Paths of Glory
-Abby, for all the rare Kickstarter games that no-one else had
-Ker Win, for jumping into The Gallerist and Forbidden Stars with a relative stranger
-Chris, for War of the Ring and a most satisfying round of Food Chain Magnate
-Selva, for hosting the Twilight Imperium mega-game
-Peter, for letting me plumb the depths of your vast collection
-Howard, for being graceful about that shipyard I "stole" in Brass
-Shaun, for always being willing to try games that you don't think you'll like
-Lawrence, for quiet support (and winning most of the games we tried)
-Rob, for lending a copy of Goa to someone you had never met and mixing a mean cocktail too
-Michael, for many great Euros
-Thomas, Luvia, Jonno, Rupert, Sue, Len, Tim, Pei Yu, Zirk, Darius, Douglas, David, Laura, Ivan, Rod, Katherine, and Ros, for being great players
-My wife Siobhan, for blasting through everything from Eldritch Horror to Through the Ages with patience and enthusiasm
-and Martin Wallace, for lending me a copy of Brass when all other avenues seemed exhausted!

5 The games

Like everyone, I like certain types of games. I went into this to expand my gaming horizons. A game doesn't get into the Top 100 without appealing to someone, so I figured that I would play to find out what other people saw in each game.

With that in mind, I have elected not to rank the games that I played here. Instead, I'm creating a Geeklist that contains One Good Thing about each game on the list.

6 The end

As new games entered the Top 100 I added them to the list. It was fun to take aim at a moving target. But I had to choose a cut-off at some point. At the end of October 2017, two things happened that led me to wrap up this project:

1. A new baby! While she will be playing many board games, it will be a few years before we can get a full game of Mage Knight going without her eating the pieces.

2. A game entered the Top 100 that I won't play. No worries, plenty more fish in the sea.

I've played every game that was on the Top 100 list between January and October 2017. Since then, another 7 games have entered the list (I've played a couple of those). But learning new games all the time can be tiring. I think I'll settle down and play some legacy games for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic. Congrats!

Ziggurat wrote:
I'm creating a Geeklist that contains One Good Thing about each game on the list.

Cool - please post a comment here with a link to it when it's available.

Quote:
A game entered the Top 100 that I won't play. No worries, plenty more fish in the sea.

Out of curiosity... do you mean "won't" as a prediction (too long, too complicated, too expensive, too unavailable, etc) or "won't" as a decision that (for whatever reason) you actively want to avoid that specific game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
russ wrote:

Out of curiosity... do you mean "won't" as a prediction (too long, too complicated, too expensive, too unavailable, etc) or "won't" as a decision that (for whatever reason) you actively want to avoid that specific game?

Ah, sorry for being ambiguous; it's the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you create a geeklist with your comments and insights ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OSullivan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What game were you surprised to have enjoyed as much as you did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and well done.

This is a soft challenge (i.e. I'm not hunting it down with any degree of single-mindedness) that I've set myself too, I'm looking forward to the day it's done. I've already got a play lined up for the game I suspect is the one you are passing on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive - congrats! I've toyed with this idea a few times myself, but can't quite find the time/motivation/resources for the time being...

Please post a link to your Geeklist to this thread once it's written as well, I'd love to have a look once it's written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
The Geeklist is up now:

One good thing about the Top 100 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
rynet wrote:
What game were you surprised to have enjoyed as much as you did?

Of the ones that I played in the last year, the ones that jumped out at me were Mechs vs. Minions, Brass, and Food Chain Magnate. All really solid games for very different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
an xi
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ziggurat wrote:
russ wrote:

Ah, sorry for being ambiguous; it's the latter.

I'm now really interrested which one this was

Congratulations for getting through this impressive challange, and of course for your baby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
anxi wrote:

It's Kingdom Death: Monster. Not that I'm looking to restart that debate here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
an xi
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ziggurat wrote:
anxi wrote:

ok, i really can understand this decision... This one needs a lot of time/money to get started with it... would have been beyond the scope of your challange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is pretty impressive. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the first question that comes to mind is, "Out of the top 100 which game would you rank #1?". I'm not sure if your highest rated game is already in the top 100 or not.

Edit: I just went and looked. I guess it's Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats! On the top 100 and the baby! And thanks for the one good thing post.

Which, if any games, really stuck out at you that you didn't expect to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than your opinion of the games, (BGG isn’t short of opinions on games) I’d be interested in more of the story of your journey in trying to get plays of everything.
Do you have documented the dates you got first plays of games? (Especially the last few - where it was getting more challenging)
Were you asking desperately around local game groups for owners of various games?
Sounds like there’s a bit of story to tell in obtaining Brass and maybe a few other titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziggurat wrote:
anxi wrote:

Ah well. A neat concept for a list! Odd to stop at 99%, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Ziggurat wrote:
anxi wrote:
He played more than 100 games because of changes in the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
Ziggurat wrote:
anxi wrote:
He played more than 100 games because of changes in the rankings.

Oh, I see. I skimmed through the list, but did not pay close enough attention to the details. I assumed he had taken a snapshot of the top 100 (99) at some point in time and played those games. I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done on your achievement! Even Tom Vasel has not played 'em all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive and epic! I envy you.
I also totally like your geeklist and the idea pointing out one exceptional thing about each game played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
So the first question that comes to mind is, "Out of the top 100 which game would you rank #1?". I'm not sure if your highest rated game is already in the top 100 or not.

Edit: I just went and looked. I guess it's Race for the Galaxy.

Despite focusing on the Top 100, I don't actually like reducing games to single metrics. I could tell you which games I play most often? Of the Top 100, that would be Race for the Galaxy, Cosmic Encounter, Robinson Crusoe, and Tzolk'in. I'm a novelty seeker, and these four games always seem to offer up something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Ellis
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Obidiah wrote:
More than your opinion of the games, (BGG isn’t short of opinions on games) I’d be interested in more of the story of your journey in trying to get plays of everything.
Do you have documented the dates you got first plays of games? (Especially the last few - where it was getting more challenging)
Were you asking desperately around local game groups for owners of various games?
Sounds like there’s a bit of story to tell in obtaining Brass and maybe a few other titles.

I was going to write a more detailed narrative, but to be honest most of the time it was just friends and word-of-mouth that got me through. At the beginning I did a survey of friends to establish what everyone had on the shelf, and that covered about two thirds of the games. I rented about ten of them, and found several more at local conventions.

The final fourteen were most difficult, and that's when I had to reach out to the larger Auckland gaming community. I'm glad I did; I made a few good friends along the way. Board gamers are just damn friendly people; several were very willing to teach or loan games to someone they'd never met before.

Martin Wallace lived in New Zealand up until the end of last year, and sometimes came to our local gaming group to playtest new games. (Keep an eye out for AuZtralia, it's a really interesting train / Euro / Cthulhu horror hybrid.) He heard that I was looking for Brass, and loaned me a copy. Good guy

I've logged all my plays on BGG since 2013, so I know when I first played everything. My spreadsheets have some nice progress graphs but they're pretty much straight lines - I averaged six new games a month. I'm also keeping track on the Top 200, but I'm only 75% of the way through that list.

Some more thoughts: many of the Top 100 games are difficult to get on the table because of their length or learning curve (Mage Knight, Through the Ages, Paths of Glory, War of the Ring, Twilight Imperium, Eclipse, Food Chain Magnate). When I expressed an interest in trying them out, the owners leapt at the chance to rope in a new player.

It helps to be able to learn a game from just the rulebook, and to be willing to teach others if necessary (Forbidden Stars... whew). It helps not to take winning too seriously, because you're usually going up against people who know the game much better than you. But it helps to take each game seriously - I never played just to say I had, I always tried to wring full enjoyment out of each one. Because otherwise, what's the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Now that you've finished that, you can work on the Dicetower People's Choice Top 100. There's a decent amount of overlap, so it shouldn't be that hard. Then there's always the top 100 in each sub-domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziggurat wrote:

2. A game entered the Top 100 that I won't play. No worries, plenty more fish in the sea.

Checking the Top 100 Geeklist I notice Kingdom Death is conspicuously missing.

Edit: Ah, and this was addressed. I have guessed correctly. That's a shame, but a personal choice nonetheless. Your list of the ones you played most still contains many of my favorites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.