Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played a solo game of PoH, which I decided to share with you. Some side notes at first: I have the Kickstarter edition and I used the pets expansion module. Another thing I should mention is that I have played PoH only solo, not having exceeded 30 LTH so far.

I chose Haggler as child trait and the 3 life goals were:
1. Zoo keeper: Have at least 2 pets
2. Living it up: Get 3 STH in one round
3. Fulfilled life: Have 2 items, 2 activities, 2 completed basic projects,a job and a partner on at least the relationship level.

As a teenager already, I had a stamp collection and a boat (!) and then later I bought a rabbit and a tortoise. Regarding items, later I have bought a personal gym and... a games room (yeah!). Activities and basic projects became available at round 3 and I managed to do 2 activities, scuba diving and (unbelievable) visit the game convention at Essen! (although I have never been physically there).
As a job I became a screenwriter and also I got in relationship with Michelle. My mistake was that I got 2 basic projects at the same time (Make video game & Student activism) and in combination with my job and Michelle gave me some stress for a couple of rounds.

At the start of first round of old age I went up to the leftmost place of yellow section of stress, with only one uncomplete basic project (I don't remember which one it was, but I do remember that it required an hourglass to complete each of the levels 3 & 4). So, at the start of second old age I had 4 hourglasses to use, minus 2 for upkeep of the job and my relationship. With only 2 hourglasses to use I couldn't complete the second basic project (as I had to use one hourglass for the card action and then another one to complete each level), although I had the resources to do it.

I died at the end of second old age with 45 LTH. Too close to win for the first time, but yet too far.

The general gameplay and the cards that showed up made this a very enjoyable experience and I am looking forward to trying it with more players.

I have to mention though, that I think that the cards that will show up in each game, together with the goals you have to fulfill increase the luck factor in a way that sometimes it is annoying. Of course you can refresh the rows, but at a cost and then the cards you want may not finally show up.
Another thing is that, in solo mode, 50 LTH are required to win, which means that, if you manage to survive the first old age, you have 7 rounds to get these 50 LTH points, meaning that you have to get approx. 7 LTH points each round. Together with the 3 life goals you have to fulfill, which in some cases contradict each other, I find it a little too much to accomplish. But then of course, life is no easy task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solo session yesterday evening and WHAT A GAME!

Child Trait: Diligent (+1 coin when using Temp Job)
Goals: 2 pets (again!), 5 items, 8 coins

Being a CEO already since second adult age, I had 3 hourglasses less to use every round, which meant that I had to retire before first old age to be able to use all the hourglasses again.

I managed to get a cat and also tennis court, personal gym (dumbells), camera DSLR, cabin cruiser boat, mini-golf course and a simple date with Martha.

Before first old age, I managed to complete Workout project (a card with a heart), being now a retired CEO.

At the start of 2nd old age I was in first orange stress spot (minus 2 hourglasses), I had obtained the 5 items and I had 1 pet (the cat). I also had zero creativity, zero knowledge, 9 influence, 17 coins and 42 LTH points.

A bird showed up which I bought (so 16 coins and 43 points after that).

In the place of a bird a karting showed up (cost 5 coins) which was giving minus 1 stress (useless, as I couldn't leave the orange spot) and 3 points (150cc). I got 1 stress (going to 2nd orange spot) and bought Karting (remaining 2 hourglasses and 11 coins, with 46 points.

Of course there is no card (to my knowledge) giving 4 LTH points with 3 coins (remember I had to have 8 coins to win), so I took a temporary job for 4 coins (due to my child trait), for a total of 15 coins, although there was no card giving 4 points with 7 coins (not even a card giving 2 points, as I had 1 point from the 9 influence and 1 point from the coins). I had to spent a maximum of 7 coins for 2-4 points.

I spent another STH to refresh items row and the last card I drew was the Cruise, giving 1 (useless) relax and... 4 LTH points with 7 coins (I spent influence for the missing resources due to decreased STH).

So, I used my last stress point, jumped in a suite of the cruise ship, for some relaxing moments during my last trip on earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.