Subject: BSG V151 - Cylon Hunger Games: Genocidal Detectives Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb

schmloof wrote:
Well, you've done it. The human race has been eradicated. Your fellow Cylons have taken control of Galactica and the rest of the fleet. But what now? The last human died 33 weeks ago, and you've done nothing but drift along aimlessly since then. And now there's infighting. You can't stand the Sevens, and the Ones seem lost without a cause to fight for. And you don't even want to get started on the rest of them.

So what do you do? A fight to the death, of course. Or to the box. Semantics. It started as a simple challenge over a drunken meal.

"I bet I can run the Galactica out of fuel and kill the lot of you!" a Five boldly claimed.

Of course, this was hotly contested and no one believed he could do it. Then others claimed they could blow up Galactica, and this started a fresh firestorm of insults.

But the talk about destruction stirred something in one of the Ones. You could see the fire returning to his eyes.

He called the group to order. He laid out a proposition:

"6 lines will compete," he ruled. "The winner lives on. The rest will be boxed."

Within hours, the rules were hammered out and each participating line gathered in secret meetings to discuss strategy.

You're awakened from your reverie as a soft knock echoes throughout the room. Outside you find only a single sheet of paper, emblazoned with the emblem of Galactica.

You open slowly it as your comrades gather around, victory revealing itself word by word.

This is a game where everyone is a Cylon. There are six Cylon win conditions, and each player will receive one of them.

1 Fuel reduced to 0
2 Food reduced to 0
3 Morale reduced to 0
4 Population reduced to 0
5 Centurions take over Galactica
6 Galactica has 6 damage tokens

But we will be using All 7 cylon leaders
The 7th victory condition is The Sympathiser, who is the only one of you who will be attempting to achieve the 'humans win' condition.
There will only be a single winner unless two of these win conditions are met on the same turn, in which case victory is shared.

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions (this is an FFG requirement).

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3After character selection I will post your banners so people know who you are.
(Or feel free to create your own personal banner for that character) Please save /memorise the image code so that you can post your banner each time you post, so it’s clear to everybody which character is which.

d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publically, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Please Subscribe to the thread and try to check in at least once a day - preferably twice so we can keep a fun and fast paced game.

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. If I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately.

d10-7I like to make my board images after the current player has received their cards, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. So if you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-8I will assume that each player has the following standing COs. Send me a GM when you'd like to act otherwise.

* Pass on strategic planning for shots against raiders, scouts if there's more than one raptor remaining and shots by cylon ships
* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers that aren't protecting a civilian ship, unless an 8 is rolled
* Pass on anything that would be a clear soft-reveal (e.g., Evasive Maneuvers to reroll a shot that missed)
* If everybody else has responded to an interrupt and you haven't, and you don't have the cards in question, I will pretend you sent me a pass CO. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time.
* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is coming up sooner.

d10-9Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/colours you played into a skillcheck
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

d10-0Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread. Say what you think happened in your own words.

(Text borrowed and adapted )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All 7 cylon leader characters have been adapted to work with this variant:

- For Cavil, PPBBT
i'll just change his weakness to 'discard 2 skillcards each time a player reveals or is executed' (lowered because with so many cylons, reveals may be rather frequent...)

-Leoben YYBBT , unchanged otherwise

-Six GGBBT
weakness changed to unable to use command, communications, or cylon fleet.

- Athena GRRBB
unchanged

D'anna YYGBT
Change weakness to 'if you are on a hazardous location, discard a skillcard to move to a new location'
change ability to Visions: movement: Discard a supercrisis card to view another players Objective.

-Doral YYPPT
Ability: draw a skillcard of any type after your receive skills step, then discard one skillcard. Disregard this ability while you are in "Sick Bay."
OPG: action: Activate one cylon location, then take another action. If you activated Caprica, do not draw a crisis card this turn.

-Simon O Neill: PPBBT
Change ability to: On crisis skillchecks on your turn, look at both destiny cards and take one of them into your hand of skillcards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once all 7 players have joined, and turn order is decided (highest roll on D100), then your randomly chosen objective will be given out immediately.

You can use this to aid in your choice of character.

- To make it slightly fairer: whoever is 7th has no choice of character, but gets to choose to be either president or Admiral.
- Whoever is 6th takes the 2nd title.

Genocidal Detectives
In the event that the fleet reaches 8 distance, each of you will send a GM response to a quiz asking what you think each players objective was.

Getting all 6 correct yields great rewards, while a total fail will be met with punishment! robot

During the game, you will have to decide whether to go for a full frontal direct approach to completing your goal, or to be more secretive and try to mislead players to lead to them failing the quiz.
(e.g. if cavil OPGs to have basestars attack 6 times, he's probably the damage-cylon )

Quote:
fuel-cylon
6 correct = decrease fuel by 1, then take one of the titles if you are infiltrating
5 correct = draw 3 skillcards of any type
4 correct = draw a skillcard, within your skillset
3 correct = no effect
2 correct = discard 2 skillcards
1 correct = discard 3 skillcards randomly
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then increase fuel by 1

Quote:
food-cylon
6 correct = decrease food by 2, then look at the quorum deck and discard up to 2 quorum cards
5 correct = decrease food by 1
3 correct = no effect
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then increase food by 1

Quote:
morale-cylon
6 correct = decrease morale by 2, then look at the quorum deck and discard up to 2 quorum cards
5 correct = decrease morale by 1
3 correct = no effect
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then increase morale by 1

Quote:
population-cylon
6 correct = decrease population by 2, then place every remaining civillian behind galactica, and 3 raiders and a basestar in front of Galactica
5 correct = decrease population by 1, then place 2 raiders in front of galactica and 1 civillian behind galactica.
3 correct = no effect
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then increase population by 1

Quote:
damage-cylon
6 correct = Draw 2 Galactica damage tokens, then place 2 Basestars anywhere on the main game board. You are immune to going to sickbay from location damage caused by this.
5 correct = Draw one Galactica damage token, and place 1 basestar in front of galactica.
3 correct = no effect
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then repair one damage location of your choice

Quote:
centurion-cylon
6 correct = Place 2 centurions at the start of the boarding party track, and take the president title if you are infiltrating.
5 correct = Place 1 centurion at the start of the boarding party track, and take the president title if you are infiltrating.
3 correct = no effect
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then destroy a centurion on the boarding party track, if able

Quote:
sympathiser-cylon
6 correct = Take 1 title of your choice if you are infiltrating, and increase any 2 resources of your choice by 1 each (or the same one twice)
5 correct = Increase a resource by 1
3 correct = no effect
0 correct = move to the brig and discard 3 skillcards randomly, then decrease each resource by 1 each, damage Galactica once, and place a centurion at the start of the boarding party track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

D'anna does have an advantage in the quiz by using her ability, but she'l have to sacrifice super crisis cards and actions to do it.
Those actions may end up being wasted if the target ends up being very obvious to all players with their objectives later.

We'll see how this goes - just a bit of fun, anyway.
It's far from balanced - personally I think the morale cylon will have an easier time with this.

Everybody else should be teaming up trying to pass morale checks, otherwise morale-cylon is probably going to be the first one to win.

(similarly everybody except the centurion cylon should be trying to kill centurions, etc)

So you see, there is still some teamwork here - all 6 working together to screw over whoever is closest to winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

schmloof wrote:
Golden rule:

Most rules for humans/Cylons will depend on where you are. If you're on a human location, you play as a human, and if you're on a Cylon location, you play as a Cylon. Simple enough, I hope.

However, there must be tweaks.

-There are no reveal powers.
-There is no Sleeper Phase.

Moving between human and Cylon locations

-To move to a Cylon location, you must reveal (or be executed). You must follow all normal rules for revelation.
--You only receive a Super Crisis on your FIRST reveal. You may, however, pick up more on the Resurrection Ship as per usual.

-To move to a human location, you only need to discard a card to move there. I guess thematically, it's a one-way shuttle.

Inspecting Loyalties

If you're ever given the chance to inspect someone else's loyalty card, you will learn their win condition. However, you are forbidden to discuss specifics, although you may state if he's either "close to" or "far from" completing his goal.

And one slight amendment - ALL skillcard movement and action abilities can be used by all players whether on cylon or human locations. you can 'gods-plan' from anywhere, critical situation on the cylon fleet, you can even XO somebody on Caprica for a potential 3 crisis cards in the same turn! the possibilities are endless!

well, not quite endless.
also, im not really sure how much XOing you'l want to be doing, considering literally every other player is your enemy here, and there will only be 1 winner.... whistle

Doing extremely well of extremely badly at the 8-distance-quiz can have very strong game changing effects!
Pay attention to what other players are doing, which skillchecks they are participating in, which skillchecks you think they may have spiked, etc
If you're very observant, and can work everybody else out, the reward might be enough for you to claim victory!

happy detectiv-ing, cylons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One last think, just to make things a bit more tense and to provide incentive to actively screw each other over rather than quietly chugging along at your own objective:

The player responsible for brigging/executing another player, gains any titles that player has.
Each player may only have 1 title. If you acquire both, select any player of your choice to have the other one that you don't prefer.

It'l go to
- the player who contributed the most cards to a successful AQ or airlock skillcheck,
- the player who played the (3) - personal vices card that caused a brigging, or
-the current player, who uses (5) - exploit a weakness to cause a brigging.

Or the person making a decision on a crisis card to cause an execution or a brigging.

Simply put: if you have a title: everybody else is gunning for you! robot

I think that's everything.
This is gonna get weird cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With pegasus in play, that extra 4 locations might make life unfair for the damage-cylon.

Might need some balance, i'm proposing:

- All crisis location damage effects only damage Galactica
- A successful cylon ship attack damages Galactica once, and also damages Pegasus once. (basestars on a 4+, or raiders on an 8')

CLs draw plenty of blue, im sure the other 6 will be banding together to put out all the fires, so this should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I am part of this as I suggested it whistle

You should definitely ask for Schmloof to join us as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpalgens wrote:
I believe I am part of this as I suggested it whistle

You should definitely ask for Schmloof to join us as well

I was just thinking of doing that!

Yeah, kudos to him for coming up with the idea, i'll send him an invite now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, that looks fun. I'll wait and see how many other people want in first - you should advertise on the variant waiting list - but it would be good to leave the invite open for a while rather than just selecting the first 7 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll play!

A few quick questions:

Destination is Kobol?

Are we using the CFB?

Are we using Daybreak treachery? There was a reference to God's Plan somewhere.

It's usually not obvious who played a Personal Vices (though obviously you'll know), and many times you may explicitly not want other players to know that you played a PV, so I don't know how that PV rule works out.

It's also entirely possible to Brig yourself in Daybreak (Administration, Force Their Hand, discarding Bait/Dradis); where does the title go in that case?

For the few crises that say "pass a title to the next in the line of succession," where does the title go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KraZug wrote:
Heh, that looks fun. I'll wait and see how many other people want in first - you should advertise on the variant waiting list - but it would be good to leave the invite open for a while rather than just selecting the first 7 people.

You are from the first generation of BSG-PBF players Simon same as me back from 2011... I thought you saw the original game Schmloof did... I know David & I played and another one that I forgot the handle but not sure of the other 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zach,

I think it needs to be Kobol as the game kinda goes "downward" very fast
And no worries, we won't reach Kobol
CFB is mandatory IMO...

Not sure for Daybreak material as we played that variant prior to Daybreak then so perhaps even earth & demetrius could be used...

_________

OTOH Cylon hunger games means playing in team... so I think 6 is the max number of players to ensure the original core idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You don't like the idea of the 7th player being a secret human-sympathiser?

humans might actually win, if the cylons sabotage each other so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:

You don't like the idea of the 7th player being a secret human-sympathiser?

humans might actually win, if the cylons sabotage each other so much.

I must admit that I read the title and quickly did my morning tour of my games before starting to work...

That sounds like an interesting addition

Back then, we played only humans with nerfed goals as you saw on V24
But you bring a lot of new ideas so let's try it your way

PS: Still up for a Futurama game "eventually" with a weird variant as well robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice!
I really like the idea of all 7 cylon leaders being in game at the same time. Should be a lot of fun.

Skillchecks might take a while - we'l need all 7 people to respond each time, for interrupts and the skillcheck, so it might be a rather long game.

Still, I think this could work out quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely lurked the original one. I thought I'd played in one, but can't find it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 player games are always slow, but the variant players tend to be a bit quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone who's in, you can roll your D100 (highest goes first, then 2nd highest, etc)

Unfortunately last player will be stuck with whichever cylon leader wasnt picked by the first 6.
Ah, oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please not my usual spot this time! 1d100 = (78) = 78

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1227777. Vorpalgens
  • 1d100 =
  • (78) =
  • Please not my usual spot this time!
  • Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:11 pm
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's high! you'l probably be first or 2nd.
What's your usual spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1d100 = (25) = 25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1227783. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (25) =
  • Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:

That's high! you'l probably be first or 2nd.
What's your usual spot?

Last...

My PBF-Karma is that way
I never did a tally but i'm sure that i'm there at least 25-33% of the time
I don't really mind as I find it funny but on this game, having choice is fun robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Will CFB make this variant better? is it necessary? i'm not very used to playing with it...
If we do, we'l need a CAG too, wont we?

OK, players can vote if they want CFB and CAG in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. Not in a game right now and it sounds entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [29] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.