Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Balis
United States
Swansboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played our first game last night. Everyone loved it but a few things were not clear after reading the FAQ.

"Note: During Game Setup, you may discard any of your starting Jobs you don’t want to undertake.

Question: Can I discard Active Jobs on the table?

Answer: No. The only way to clear Active Jobs is to complete them or have a Warrant Issued while working them."

After you get your starter jobs and discard what you dont want, do those jobs become active? or they still in your hand? If they are in your hand I dont see how you can discard active jobs at the start since you dont have any active jobs.

If you start with those jobs as active do you have to meet the requirements to start them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Bąk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Set up question (base game set up)
Job becomes active when you do the first work action for it.
So you can have (if I remember correctly 3 active jobs and 3 in hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
correct. you can have up to 3 jobs inactive ("in your hand", kept privately from other players) and up to 3 active jobs (kept face up on the table, as active jobs are public knowledge).

Inactive jobs can be discarded by picking up more jobs via "deal" actions with contacts and then discarding down to 3 jobs "in hand" (though you can't arbitrarily discard down to less than 3 inactive jobs).

An inactive job becomes an "Active Job" once you go to the first location on it and perform a Work Action. In order to perform any work actions on a job, you must first be able to meet any job requirements.
Once a work action is performed on a job, that job remains in your Active Jobs area (and thus counts towards the limit of 3) until either you successfully complete it, or until it is failed by picking up a Warrant as a result of one of the Misbehave cards required by that job.
There is no way to discard Active Jobs once work has started on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Balis
United States
Swansboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two more questions:

1. Can you put normal passengers in the stash? Seemed a little strange to me but I guess if you really need a ride and thats the only space...

2. We played with 3 last night but most of the time its just me and my wife. what expansions would we get the most "bang for our buck" to add to a 2 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can definitely put Passengers in the Stash, although unless you're running a job that requires the max number of Passengers, there's generally no reason to. All types of Goods (Cargo, Contraband, Parts, and Fuel) and Fugitives are sometimes protected from some effect by being in the Stash, but I don't think it ever happens with Passengers.

If you poke around the boards, you'll find a few conversations from the past few months discussing the various merits of each expansion. A lot of it depends on what you're looking for: Want more "stuff"? Breakin' Atmo and Kalidasa. More challenge? Blue Sun and Crime & Punsishment. Player vs Player? Pirates & Bounty Hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Tronstad
Sweden
Wolverine City, Solna, Stockholm
flag msg tools
I started playing with three friends recently. I would say that Blue Sun and Kalidasa are the first two expansions you buy. They are actually expanding the 'verse (the map). I already can't remeber how it felt playing on the smaller map...

Of course I bought all the expansions in the end. If you come to love the game, you probably end up like that.

I saw on the board here the other day, that GaleForce9 maybe are going to print new editions of the expansions so maybe check that up before you pay expensive dollars on ebay etc... See thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1918515/firefly-good-news-a...

Good luck with the play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fumblingbeeble wrote:
2. We played with 3 last night but most of the time its just me and my wife. what expansions would we get the most "bang for our buck" to add to a 2 player game?

Breakin' Atmo adds some fun variety to the supply and contact decks without increasing the amount of table space needed or the length of time to play a game. and can often be found fairly inexpensively (~ $10)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Balis
United States
Swansboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We came across a mission to pick up passengers (no limit) and you got paid per passenger. It was the toward the end of the game and I needed money. So I loaded every spot I had open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With respect to expansions, you really won't go wrong if you add them in the order they were released:

* Breakin' Atmo (more of the same from the base game, but balances things a little better)

* Pirates & Bounty Hunters (introduces PVP, but the Bounties and Supplies are useful even if you don't like that angle, includes 2 new ships and 2 new leaders)

* Blue Sun (expands the board, adds 2 more Reaver Ships; adds 2 Contacts and 1 Supply Deck, makes Smuggling more viable, includes 2 new leaders)

* Kalidasa (expands the board, adds The Operative as an NPC ship, adds 2 new Contacts and 1 Supply Deck, includes 1 new leader, but supplies for all existing Supply Decks)

* Crime and Punishment (40 new - and often more challenging - Misbehave cards, introduces "Priority Alerts" that can impact gameplay, especially for Outlaw ships)

There are also three ship packs that you can add in whenever you want. Although they didn't necessarily come out at the times I'm indicating, I think of Artful Dodger as "going with" Breakin' Atmo, Jetwash with Blue Sun, and Esmeralda with Kalidasa.

Whatever you do, I recommend introducing the expansions slowly so that you can learn and appreciate each one in turn. The finished product (after Crime and Punishment) is much richer and better balanced than the original game, but if they had released all content at once, I suspect it would have been too daunting for many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fumblingbeeble wrote:
We came across a mission to pick up passengers (no limit) and you got paid per passenger. It was the toward the end of the game and I needed money. So I loaded every spot I had open.

pack 'em in wherever you can!
And Kaylee, find that kid who is taking a dirt nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornament...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That kid has a name! It's Hiroku.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
That kid has a name! It's Hiroku.

good to know. where'd you find that info at? (or is it a joke that flew over my head)

I was just quoting Nathan Fillion because that outtake is hilarious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The novelization of the movie. A few of the citizens of Haven are named. There's Hiroku, Bernabe... I think Doan? Bernabe may also have a named wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
The novelization of the movie. A few of the citizens of Haven are named. There's Hiroku, Bernabe... I think Doan? Bernabe may also have a named wife.

I should definitely track that down sometime and give it a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get around to adding the Operative as a Contact, "Cleansing" a Haven should definitely be a Job. A very dark, very immoral job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fripp21 wrote:
I started playing with three friends recently. I would say that Blue Sun and Kalidasa are the first two expansions you buy. They are actually expanding the 'verse (the map). I already can't remeber how it felt playing on the smaller map...

Of course I bought all the expansions in the end. If you come to love the game, you probably end up like that.

I saw on the board here the other day, that GaleForce9 maybe are going to print new editions of the expansions so maybe check that up before you pay expensive dollars on ebay etc... See thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1918515/firefly-good-news-a...

Good luck with the play!
You're bloody kidding!! I just finished buying everything!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
When you get around to adding the Operative as a Contact, "Cleansing" a Haven should definitely be a Job. A very dark, very immoral job.

like dropping atomic bombs on entire cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
No, no, only on the bits that need cleansing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
No, no, only on the bits that need cleansing.

oh, okay. so much less immoral than the atomic bomb thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.