John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, this looks incredibly interesting, but the play time is probably too long for me to get it to the table much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
Just curious, this looks incredibly interesting, but the play time is probably too long for me to get it to the table much.

Play time has definitely kept this off the table a few nights. But not all of them...

We don't play with a timer, so I won't even mention how long our games go. But I will say that a lot of that time is still being taken up in trying to grok the game: it's easy to get lost in detail, especially if there are new players in the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

Play time has definitely kept this off the table a few nights. But not all of them...

We don't play with a timer, so I won't even mention how long our games go. But I will say that a lot of that time is still being taken up in trying to grok the game: it's easy to get lost in detail, especially if there are new players in the mix.

I wonder if you could use a 5-minute timer to shorten the game to ~90 minutes? but it sounds like it might "break" the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played this with a timer, and it has been steadily less than two hours every single time so far.

The ten-minute timer won't make the game feel rushed at all; most of the time we're finished trading minute or two before the time runs out. Couple of times there have been exciting last-second trades.

I was afraid of the play time as well, but with timer, this fits easily in our usual schedule and leaves plenty of time for other games as well.

Five minutes won't be enough time for trading, but with 10-minute timer it should be easy to make it less than two hours.

With the timer, trading will take 60 minutes tops. The rest of it has very little decision-making involved: just quickly go through your economy, that won't take more than five minutes per round, and then bid for research teams and planets... you'll have another five minutes for that each round, and you're still going for less than two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sinkovits
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5 player learning game last week with no timer and it was maybe 135 min. I suspect that with regular play in our group we will probably get games down to 90 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a 10 minute timer, takes exactly two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my second game with four players and a five minute timer and still found it lots of fun. About 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Strange
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

For my friends, the game itself is 2 hours, but then we routinely spend 90+ minutes immediately after discussing various awesome moments that happened, and trying to figure out how important they were in the end score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends how contemplative (or AP-prone) players are.

I've seen a player spend 5 minutes deciding how to divide their two ships in the bidding phase.

And a different player win a research bid and take five minutes to decide which one they wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends don't let friends do that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McSteve
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. We usually give 3 minutes or so after tech is shared to let people contemplate and make upgrades if they want, so they can plan better for trading and don't have to do that thinking during the trade phase. 2 hours is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 of us had played before and we brought in two newbies for a 7! player LEARNING game, and with rules and all the rest, the 10 minute timer meant we finished in under 2 hours.

Yeah, it's that fast. It's 99% simultaneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.