Popular Tags: [View All]
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not managed to find any definite answer to when cars are considered to have run into other cars or walls or debris or mines or anything else.

If tho things are perfectly aligned with the grid, covering adjacent small squares, is the line between them separating them or are they considered to be touching? What if they are just diagonally adjacent?

Similarly for lines of fire if they go just along the edge or a corner of a wall or some smoke or something, is that line free or blocked/obscured?

Games with a grid tend to spell these things out, but I can not find anything in the classic or compendium rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Suthren
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My friends and I were never able to find a definitive answer either so we played with a nod to reality: those lines are not in the real world, cars and paint/smoke are not rectangles, mines and spikes will be less concentrated at the edge of their dispersal area, buildings are built up to property lines and walls can extrude in odd ways, etc.

Therefore if two cars are driving on parallel paths beside each other, they are not in a collision. Collisions occur when the counters overlap.

Mines, spikes etc are triggered if the counters overlap.

Sightlines exactly along the edge of smoke or paint are blocked.

Sightlines exactly along building edge gridlines are blocked.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a bit vague on this. However, players I've gamed with generally treat the lines as belonging to neither square (unless there is a counter on both of the squares).

So two cars exactly on the grid or a car adjacent to a wall aren't hitting each other.

The best rule of thumb is whether the counter is overlapping with the other counter or any part of the actual square for stuff that is printed on the maps.

Lines of fire are actually a bit clearer - if you can trace a line to the target from the weapon's firing point (midpoint of the side mounted on or center of the car for a turret) that is within the firing arc of the weapon you can shoot at it. If you can trace that line without going through the smoke (however small the gap) you don't get the penalty for the smoke.

That works for 99.9% of the cases. If the midpoint of the side is exactly even with a wall edge and another car is on the far side of the wall directly even with the wall, you don't have a shot. For smoke (instead of a wall) in this case, you'd have to shoot through the smoke.

The above is the consensus that everyone that I've talked to has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I have not managed to find any definite answer to when cars are considered to have run into other cars or walls or debris or mines or anything else.

If tho things are perfectly aligned with the grid, covering adjacent small squares, is the line between them separating them or are they considered to be touching? What if they are just diagonally adjacent?

Similarly for lines of fire if they go just along the edge or a corner of a wall or some smoke or something, is that line free or blocked/obscured?

Games with a grid tend to spell these things out, but I can not find anything in the classic or compendium rules.

CWC2.5 wrote:
When a vehicle counter touches a fixed object or another counter, a
collision has occurred

Check the section on trailers...
CWC2.5 wrote:
To maneuver with a trailer, first move the towing vehicle, as per the
maneuver chart or turning key. Next, move the trailer counter
as follows:
First, move it in a straight line along its long axis (see Figure 12) the
same distance the towing vehicle moved. If the towing vehicle moved
an inch, the trailer moves forward an inch.
Second, hold one rear corner of the trailer counter in place, and
pivot the trailer until its tongue is as close as possible to the hitch
point of the towing vehicle.
Third, move the trailer (usually forward 1/8” to 1/4”) until the tongue
is exactly over the hitch point, once again.
If the trailer is now touching a wall or other counter, a collision
has occurred. However, if the trailer happened to overlap
something during the first two steps of its movement, no collision
took place.

Essentially, if it touches, outside a refereed match or a refereed RP session, if it touches, it crunches. Exceptions being the explicit trailer one, and the semi-explicit that a bike can make it down a 7.5' wide (2 square) corridor, but other things can't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that does still not explain if counters that are aligned to the grid touches or if the line separates them.

Technically the counters will always be slightly less than the width of the grid because material is removed when cutting, so perfectly aligned counters should have a gap between them if perfectly lined up (eg after the align to grid move), but not sure if the rule (or how most play) is intended to reflect that or consider adjacent squares to be touching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go easy on yourself - If the counters don't touch go on with your life (no collision). While I was driving on the freeway the other day some idiot passed me on the left, in my own lane. (His right side wheels were actually in my lane). There was no contact.

If you want contact, rule for contact.

This is just a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
But that does still not explain if counters that are aligned to the grid touches or if the line separates them.

Technically the counters will always be slightly less than the width of the grid because material is removed when cutting, so perfectly aligned counters should have a gap between them if perfectly lined up (eg after the align to grid move), but not sure if the rule (or how most play) is intended to reflect that or consider adjacent squares to be touching.

Neither. the counters move independent of the grid. You MAY align to the grid as a d0 maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuthbertsteel wrote:
My friends and I were never able to find a definitive answer either so we played with a nod to reality: those lines are not in the real world, cars and paint/smoke are not rectangles, mines and spikes will be less concentrated at the edge of their dispersal area, buildings are built up to property lines and walls can extrude in odd ways, etc.

Therefore if two cars are driving on parallel paths beside each other, they are not in a collision. Collisions occur when the counters overlap.

Hope that helps.

This is all great but I believe there are rules for mines and spikes that adjacent has a chance of exploding/damaging. I don't have the rules in front of me but I'm pretty sure there's something like on a 1-2 on a d6, the spike hit/mines explode. This is to take into account the scattering effect (the mines aren't exactly in the square they overlap a bit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaDemon wrote:
cuthbertsteel wrote:

Hope that helps.

This is all great but I believe there are rules for mines and spikes that adjacent has a chance of exploding/damaging. I don't have the rules in front of me but I'm pretty sure there's something like on a 1-2 on a d6, the spike hit/mines explode. This is to take into account the scattering effect (the mines aren't exactly in the square they overlap a bit).
In classic, yes.
In CW5, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.