17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for "Blood Rage good with 2" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E. z.
Poland
flag msg tools
Just like the subject says. I decided to buy Blood Rage, but since I play mostly 2-player games, it seems not to be such a great idea.
So:
I need a game like Blood Rage, but working with 2. Cool minis needed, of course
Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Cry Havoc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition) if you can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Chaos in the Old World that I can't play two player. Curse you Eric Lang! BattleLore (Second Edition) is a good recommendation if you can find it. Otherwise...

Forbidden Stars plays very well with two (again, if you can find it.)

I just picked up Risk Europe, which looks promising on this front (don't be put off by the Risk brand, it's a Euro/AT hybrid that has a trace of Risk at its core). Supports two/three player counts using an interesting mercenary army bidding mechanic, keen to try this out. It's also VERY cheap, I just picked up my copy for £16 online.

Bit off-piste but I just love Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - no minis but it's gorgeous all the same. Assymmetric sides, card driven, very elegant. Has some nice area control stuff going on, and a fantastic no-dice combat system with lots of potential for getting double-crossed by your own forces.

Cyclades and Kemet might also be worth a look, though I've not tried them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I play Blood Rage as a 2-player, and it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
dscoBee82 wrote:
Cyclades and Kemet might also be worth a look, though I've not tried them myself.

No. These two games are best with more players and don't meet the "Good with 2p" condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought that Inis played very well with 2, but my 2p gaming partner didn't like it. She does like Blood Rage however, and is willing to play it with 2 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I enjoyed my play of Inis with two folk. Such a clean design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Find Battlelore 2nd Edition? Dude, it's everywhere. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang design with good minis that works great with 2?: The Godfather: Corleone's Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
I thought that Inis played very well with 2, but my 2p gaming partner didn't like it. She does like Blood Rage however, and is willing to play it with 2 or more.

Clicked to mention Inis. It's better with more, but still enjoyable at 2 (community rated 2-4 players, unlike Kemet and Blood Rage which are rated 3+).

Basically what you're looking for in a 2-player dudes-on-a-map game is something to complicate and restrict your options so that it doesn't just turn into a slugfest as you predictably duke it out over the most valuable locations. Inis has that in spades.

Tyrants of the Underdark is another one that does a really good job of giving you meat while retaining the feeling of fighting for territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rum & Bones: Second Tide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:
Find Battlelore 2nd Edition? Dude, it's everywhere. Am I missing something?

Harder to get at a reasonable price in Europe I think. Still available but the price keeps going up and the expansions are getting quite costly. It will become difficult to find pretty soon I think, FFG no longer have any in stock as of their last sale. What I'm really saying is buy it all immediately. And I think I might be saying that to myself more than to the OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore (2nd edition) is OOP but the usual online stores still have plenty of stock. Miniature Market and Coolstuffinc both have 20+ copies of the base game and most of the expansions between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
Battlelore (2nd edition) is OOP but the usual online stores still have plenty of stock. Miniature Market and Coolstuffinc both have 20+ copies of the base game and most of the expansions between them.

The OP is in Poland so these aren't really an option sadly. Nor was that sale FFG just had with the expansions going for $10 each... current price on Amazon UK is an average £40. Not that I'm bitter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
BattleLore (Second Edition) if you can find it.

BattleLore 1st Edition is better - and probably cheaper, although obviously you'll only get it second hand.

You are probably looking for something more on the wargaming side. Area Control typically doesn't work well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Area control works surprisingly well with 2p in Godfather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.