Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
I'm a weasel!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I just started my 2nd year in the hobby. I backed a ton of games on Kickstarter, but there were many that I decided to wait on until the retail release. I know there are a few, like 7th Continent, that are KS exclusive, but the vast majority I don't believe are KS exclusives.

I'm wondering: about how long until the retail releases start showing up as available to buy on say CSI, MM or Amazon?

I've been looking for a few games that had August/October 2017 delivery dates and still do not see them available.

Thanks,
Elclarkey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
I'm a weasel!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two More Questions:

1) Does anyone know of a really solid release date calendar for games?

I use my Google Calendar to track movie, music, video game, TV show releases. Would be great to add BG's.

2) Is there a good Kickstarter calendar? Same thing, looking to add upcoming KS's to my calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many Kickstarter games are like wizards;

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually Kickstarter games are in retail about 1-2 months after they have delivered to backers.
Edit: This is after the actual delivery to backers, not the projected delivery date! Most Kickstarter games are delivered (in some cases long) after the projected delivery date.

You should however be aware that, while very few games are explicitly Kickstarter-exclusive, many games whose Kickstarter was only a modest success will never be all that widely available, simple because the creator only had money for a modest retail print run and the demand is not strong enough for a reprint. In order to be widely available in retail, a large distributor has to be willing to carry the game, and stores have to be willing to order it. If the publisher is US-based, the game may never reach retail in Europe, and vice versa.
Depending on what games you're looking for, that may be why you don't see them.

However, I wouldn't fret about this at all: Games that are big successes on Kickstarter will almost always be widely available after!
And if they're not, there is probably some other really great game that is available and that you can buy instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no real way to tell. And there's no solid release date for 99% of boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
I'm a weasel!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responding all.

I love the wizard quote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
I'm a weasel!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Usually Kickstarter games are in retail about 1-2 months after they have delivered to backers.
Edit: This is after the actual delivery to backers, not the projected delivery date! Most Kickstarter games are delivered (in some cases long) after the projected delivery date.

You should however be aware that, while very few games are explicitly Kickstarter-exclusive, many games whose Kickstarter was only a modest success will never be all that widely available, simple because the creator only had money for a modest retail print run and the demand is not strong enough for a reprint. In order to be widely available in retail, a large distributor has to be willing to carry the game, and stores have to be willing to order it. If the publisher is US-based, the game may never reach retail in Europe, and vice versa.
Depending on what games you're looking for, that may be why you don't see them.

However, I wouldn't fret about this at all: Games that are big successes on Kickstarter will almost always be widely available after!
And if they're not, there is probably some other really great game that is available and that you can buy instead.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I should have thought of this. It makes sense that only very successful Kickstarters would be carried by retailers. Kickstarter is, of course, a great tool to gauge product interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's KS games you're looking for, it might be worthwhile checking www.thegamesteward.com
They back a lot of KS at the retail level pledges so will often have what you're looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
I'm a weasel!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
If it's KS games you're looking for, it might be worthwhile checking www.thegamesteward.com
They back a lot of KS at the retail level pledges so will often have what you're looking for

thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Evans
Canada
flag msg tools
elclarkey wrote:
Hi All,

I just started my 2nd year in the hobby. I backed a ton of games on Kickstarter, but there were many that I decided to wait on until the retail release. I know there are a few, like 7th Continent, that are KS exclusive, but the vast majority I don't believe are KS exclusives.

I'm wondering: about how long until the retail releases start showing up as available to buy on say CSI, MM or Amazon?

I've been looking for a few games that had August/October 2017 delivery dates and still do not see them available.

Thanks,
Elclarkey

What is the company "MM"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brooks
United States
Katy
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khari wrote:
elclarkey wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Elclarkey

What is the company "MM"?

Miniature Market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.