Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an interesting site that allows you to map the destruction zones and estimate loss of life:

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

I have seen it before, but Lifehacker just had a piece on it and I thought you folks would enjoy seeing how much death and destruction can be strewn about.

EDIT: The linked missilemap is interesting also to see what minor nuke powers can get at. If you know their ranges.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Regarding a recent thread where discussed single nuke effects on a city
That WAS really fun! I did enjoy it! Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Regarding a recent thread where discussed single nuke effects on a city
I remember these from the latter days of the Cold War (late 70's/ early 80's). A lot of people tried to move closer to the epicentre, in order avoid the ordeal of surviving.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Regarding a recent thread where discussed single nuke effects on a city
AdrianPHague wrote:
I remember these from the latter days of the Cold War (late 70's/ early 80's). A lot of people tried to move closer to the epicentre, in order avoid the ordeal of surviving.


I used to live in the blast crater near a major air force base. A bright flash of light and then non-existence...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even large nuclear bombs were swallowed by the vastness that is Houston.

Very cool site.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in High School in the 80's we were playing the RPG The Morrow Project and in the edition we had they included a pretty comprehensive list of US targets and the missiles/warheads that were anticipated to hit there. The idea was for you to pick an area for your campaign, mark out the devastated areas and go from there. we proceeded to take a big road map for the US and have at it with a compass, much like this site does. We didn't finish the whole country, but it was fun in a nerdy way.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Back in High School in the 80's we were playing the RPG The Morrow Project and in the edition we had they included a pretty comprehensive list of US targets and the missiles/warheads that were anticipated to hit there. The idea was for you to pick an area for your campaign, mark out the devastated areas and go from there. we proceeded to take a big road map for the US and have at it with a compass, much like this site does. We didn't finish the whole country, but it was fun in a nerdy way.


I ran a superhero game around then set in a post nuclear future and still have a world atlas with the U.S. marked up with nuclear strikes and fallout zones.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
That's all well and good here in our glorious, electrified present, but if you want to calculate radiation levels, fireball radii, and the velocity of window glass in a post-apocalyptic hellscape like a boss, I recommend you take advantage of blessed technology now to download, print and assemble your very own Cold War-era slide rule nuclear bomb effects computer.



http://www.fourmilab.ch/bombcalc/brico.html
10 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
His website says he is a historian of science and technology.

I'm wondering if his model uses more advanced scaling laws that account for topography, terrain masking and enhancement effects. Simple models tend to overestimate, possibly even wildly overestimate, nuclear explosion damage.

I know that's not as much fun, but I'm weird like that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
His website says he is a historian of science and technology.

I'm wondering if his model uses more advanced scaling laws that account for topography, terrain masking and enhancement effects. Simple models tend to overestimate, possibly even wildly overestimate, nuclear explosion damage.

I know that's not as much fun, but I'm weird like that.


Well there's only one way to be sure if the side is accurate.

Field test!devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Even large nuclear bombs were swallowed by the vastness that is Houston.

Very cool site.


Sometimes, living in the suburbs is a great thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I feel that the Japanese are best placed to qualify this discussion?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Even large nuclear bombs were swallowed by the vastness that is Houston.

Very cool site.


Yeah? Try the Russian Tsar Bomba at max yield.

"Rhode Island? What's that? You mean that sheet of glass over there??"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.